Is there picure quality difference btwn SD channel in SD box & SD channel in HD box?

• Thread starter debopom
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 19
  • Views: Views 5,782

debopom

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a new HD box. Is there picure quality difference btwn SD channel in SD box & SD channel in HD box?

debopom said:
I am planning to buy a new HD box. Is there picure quality difference btwn SD channel in SD box & SD channel in HD box?

Yes the Picture quality of Sd channels on Hd box is not has good has on Sd box bcoz Hd Boxes are made mainly for MP4 HD channels and Sd box for Sd channels. Has per my experience watching Sd channels on HD box with Hdmi cable is worse comapre to Sd Box with Av cable connection and i think its bcoz hdmi cable tries to convert that sd channels into Hd and that makes Sd channel PQ worse rather than improving the Picture quality of Sd channels.So better use a Sd box and Av cable to get the best Picture Quality for Sd channels. But remember Sd box are mainly made for 21 to 30 Inch flat screen Tv and Hd box are made for 32 to 60 inch Lcd or Led tv, it defends what kind of tv you are using.

Let me clarify a few basic things. Do not mix and confuse things.

1) Data is transmitted digitally (in 1s and 0s)
2) SD (Standard Definition - 720px x 480px / 720px x 576px + 2 channel stereo audio) and HD (High Definition 1080p/i + 5.1 channel audio) are represent the picture quality/resolution. They do not talk about the compression format. (MPEG 4 or MPEG 2). HD doesn't mean MP4.
3) HDMI and Co-axial AV cables are medium for transmitting data. HDMI cables allow video and audio to be sent over a single cable where as RCA/AV cables use separate cables to transfer audio and video. HDMI has better output quality.
4) Compression / encryption format is a way to decrease the no of bits that are required to transmit the same (video/audio) content to save bandwidth. MPEG 4 is better than MPEG 2.
Heavily compressing the data will lead to low picture and audio quality.

Coming back to the question - Compression technology or transmission cables has nothing to do with the quality of SD channels. Ofcourse, when you stretch a smaller picture it will look blurred unless some enhancement of picture is done.

In my observation, SD channels on a HD STB + HDMI are bettter than SD STB + AV cables. HD STB upscales the SD content to HD which is better than leaving it to the TV. Most TVs simply stretch the picture which will make it blurred. Even better picture quality can be obtained by doing enhancing while broadcasting itself which is exactly what RDTV is trying to advertise (HDjusted channels).

If DTH provider is compressing channels a lot to save space then quality suffers. MPEG 4 compression is better than MPEG 2 as if same number of bits are used to transmit content in these formats, MPEG 4 will have a better quality. This can be seen in DishTV. Probably they are using heavy MPEG 2 compression for SD channels and decent MP4 compression for HD channels as they have enough space on separate satellite. Hence SD picture quality is low.

PS: I watch SD content using Videocon HD Zapper Box on a 42 inch TV and no issues with picture quality. A normal SD STB would have blurred the picture when scaled to this size.

v_srikanth961 said:
Let me clarify a few basic things. Do not mix and confuse things.

1) Data is transmitted digitally (in 1s and 0s)
2) SD (Standard Definition - 720px x 480px / 720px x 576px + 2 channel stereo audio) and HD (High Definition 1080p/i + 5.1 channel audio) are represent the picture quality/resolution. They do not talk about the compression format. (MPEG 4 or MPEG 2). HD doesn't mean MP4.
3) HDMI and Co-axial AV cables are medium for transmitting data. HDMI cables allow video and audio to be sent over a single cable where as RCA/AV cables use separate cables to transfer audio and video. HDMI has better output quality.
4) Compression / encryption format is a way to decrease the no of bits that are required to transmit the same (video/audio) content to save bandwidth. MPEG 4 is better than MPEG 2.
Heavily compressing the data will lead to low picture and audio quality.

Coming back to the question - Compression technology or transmission cables has nothing to do with the quality of SD channels. Ofcourse, when you stretch a smaller picture it will look blurred unless some enhancement of picture is done.

In my observation, SD channels on a HD STB + HDMI are bettter than SD STB + AV cables. HD STB upscales the SD content to HD which is better than leaving it to the TV. Most TVs simply stretch the picture which will make it blurred. Even better picture quality can be obtained by doing enhancing while broadcasting itself which is exactly what RDTV is trying to advertise (HDjusted channels).

If DTH provider is compressing channels a lot to save space then quality suffers. MPEG 4 compression is better than MPEG 2 as if same number of bits are used to transmit content in these formats, MPEG 4 will have a better quality. This can be seen in DishTV. Probably they are using heavy MPEG 2 compression for SD channels and decent MP4 compression for HD channels as they have enough space on separate satellite. Hence SD picture quality is low.

PS: I watch SD content using Videocon HD Zapper Box on a 42 inch TV and no issues with picture quality. A normal SD STB would have blurred the picture when scaled to this size.

Thanx to make me laugh for a while first of all the Word Hd came from the famous Video Codec format MP4 after the hugh Success of MP4 Video format bcoz it had much better Picture clarity compare to SD MP2 Video codec and even MP4 Video format consumed half of data compared to MP2 format which is SD Channels in Satellite world. The word High Definition which means HD was used after the clarity people's saw in MP4 format compare to MP2 format which is a 20 years old technology. And trust me bro or ask any expert Hdmi Cables really spoils the Picture quality of Sd channels.

One week ago I moved to hd box 2222 with hdmi connection.sd channel pq greatly improved now on same tv than old sd box.My tv is Sony Bravia 32inch full hd led.Sd box connection was av cord composite video(not component).I totally agree with v sreekanth 961.

picure quality difference btwn SD channel in SD box & SD channel in HD box

SD channels on a HD STB + HDMI are bettter than SD STB + AV cables.

The difference looks like this.
Composite
starpluscompositess.jpg

HDMI
starplushdmiss.jpg

In HD Box you can get clear and sharper picture.

jerome5633 said:
One week ago I moved to hd box 2222 with hdmi connection.sd channel pq greatly improved now on same tv than old sd box.My tv is Sony Bravia 32inch full hd led.Sd box connection was av cord composite video(not component).I totally agree with v sreekanth 961.

Dude this is an topic i had also searched and 90% of answers are like mine hmdi spoils the PQ of SD channels. Check the Image for proof.

Screenshot_37.png

I written from my experience what I seen on my same tv recently.Don't trust 100% anything in letters bro.First connect a tv with sd and hd box+hdmi then give your feedback.

@DishHD , are you trying to say mpeg4 gives better clarity than mpeg2....?
first of all as far as i know mpeg2 and mpeg4 are just containers they didn't determine the picture quality.. its all are determined by codec. further if the bit rate of mpeg2 is increased it can give the same video quality as mpeg4...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock