Sad News Nat Geo People HD and Nat Geo Music HD will no longer be available from 20th June 2019

• Thread starter RLOA
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 97
  • Views: Views 18,166
If it's about minority or majority Indians love useless shows and if you talk about majority who would pay for useless channels I wouldn't pay for watching useless shows majority of people wants home grown content show that rather than airing craps. I will download from torrent and watch good content for free.
Majority complains about pricing. Minority audience never complains.

I have no issues with kind of content people like or dislike but atleast broadcasters should be innovative, creative and more energised to present diverse things to us. If things remain like it is going then except regular local soaps, music, news or repetitive films we will hardly have something worth to watch on tv.

Already OTT has made big headway in landscape which has caused English Entertainment, English Movies, English Music tv viewership shrunk. It seriously gives impression that TV industry has given up and finding ways to restrain growth of OTT rather than catch up or find ways to stay step ahead.

Pricing, Promotions, Distribution, Best Content, Precise scheduling etc. must be done to get healthy results. I see nothing happening except in few cases like Comedy Central or even with Colors Infinity till few months back but new rules has impacted it negatively. Niche Channels r revenue generators but failing miserably, operators like Tata Sky have already realised this and now offering OTT service in partnership with many platforms thru a similar revenue share model.

Last edited:
If it's about minority or majority Indians love useless shows and if you talk about majority who would pay for useless channels I wouldn't pay for watching useless shows majority of people wants home grown content show that rather than airing craps. I will download from torrent and watch good content for free.

Like i said minority not paying subscription is not an issue for broadcasters as majority are paying for those shows

Last edited:
As i said minority not paying subscription is not an issue for broadcasters as majority are paying for those shows

Well Channels like HBO Defined , HBO Hits can do quite well but a fine balance has to be maintained between subscription and ads. Buying new, popular content is expensive and telecasting it soon after release adds to acquisition cost. Tell me how many people will be ready to pay even Rs. 30/month for these 2 channels , rest can be taken care of using premium ad slots.

Most of this audience base will prefer opting for OTT where they can get access to much more than combined content of niche channels at similar or lower cost . So who is at fault? Both broadcasters and people at large. Some mature understanding of market dynamics need to be there but common people will just compare price or basic factors. Running TV channel is much more costly than OTT platform hence pricing cannot be compared

Last edited:
The channel like Sony rox hd was shut down because of unavailability in various dths other than the channel was very good

Well Channels like HBO Defined , HBO Hits can do quite well but a fine balance has to be maintained between subscription and ads. Buying new, popular content is expensive and telecasting it soon after release adds to acquisition cost. Tell me how many people will be ready to pay even Rs. 30/month for these 2 channels , rest can be taken care of using premium ad slots.

Most of this audience base will prefer opting for OTT where they can get access to much more than combined content of niche channels at similar or lower cost . So who is at fault? Both broadcasters and people at large. Some mature understanding of market dynamics need to be there but common people will just compare price or basic factors. Running TV channel is much more costly than OTT platform hence pricing cannot be compared

Here is BARC data across all genre TV audience measurement data collection - BARC India

Out of 10 top chs 8 are priced at highest bracket of Rs22. So It's not like people are not paying. So don't bring those useless argument that how many will pay ? If it has content that majority love then majority people will definitely pay and ch will run successfully. Now if you fall in those minority whose taste is different from that of majority then it's obvious ch will shutdown bcoz of lack of viewership.

And again don't portray that OTT is cheaper as you forget to include NCF for those OTT aka Broadband cost

Last edited:
Personally I will miss Sony Rox HD* and Le Plex HD more, but another good channel shutting down is too much. :verysad2: Particularly, NGP is an international channel and not a local Indian feed, so the programs are bound to be aloof and distant from Indian tastes. :cf2:

*There are plenty of lifestyle HD channels and English HD movie channels, but no Hindi HD music channels other than MTV Beats HD. So Rox HD will be missed the most.
100% Truth. Understanding or appreciating mature stuff is still uncommon in India. Requires lot of patience, broader perspective and enlarged vision to grasp the information or message imparted thru them.

Our intellect has been paralysed by shows which require less use of brain cells and have overdose of fakeness and lack of logic.
Yeah, many niche channels don’t do well. Animax is a great example of this.

Discovery Science and Discovery Turbo are also niche channels catering to those specific audience that want shows based on science or cars but they spend the whole night running Teleshopping and sometimes shows Teleshopping during regular breaks. I’m surprised they’re still running.

And then there’s channels that make their content HD exclusive like Disney International.
I do not see that happening now. Living Foodz and FYI TV18 have taken over limited audience base of this genre. If Fox Life wants to tap in viewer interest then they need to add better content and preferably more Indian Shows.

Bringing Nat Geo People shows won't work, already despite having good reach people did not tune into original channel then how can one expect same programs to do well by just shifting to Fox Life. Even TLC is facing hard time to attract viewers.

In Latest TRAI Framework few r opting for higher broadcaster packs and ratings of premium channels r getting impacted. Some like Comedy Central, Star Movies r being subscribed on standlone basis. Not to forget Star has badly promoted Fox International Channels in India adding to long list of problems

They should have discontinued Bindass, Marvel XD instead of Baby TV or NG People. Though i am happy with decision to pull plug on Nat Geo Music
Bindass was an alright channel (never good or excellent) but over years turned crap. It airs just music and in that too very limited songs. Infact Channel V had much interesting youth shows than Bindass, MTV or even Zing

Baby TV is solely catering to children from age group 0 - 5 so obviously we will not connect with the content shown on it the same way learning brain of a toddler would. It is by no means a crap channel and this alongwith CBeebies, Disney Junior or Nick Jr. r must for babies.

Marvel XD had potential to become a nice action oriented cartoon channel but they r airing Pokemon all day to get TRP and failing in that too hence i suggested pulling the curtains down on it. Rather a channel showing old toons from 90' s or 2000' s by Disney and Turner would make me happiest, Turner did try this with Toonami later but forgot that just having english language feed won't lead to success.
Best way is to bring Asian Feed of such niche channels to India and insert local ads inbetween breaks or during fillers. Doing so costs involved as compared to running an India Specific channel can be drastically brought down while investment required for licence , content rights for Indian Territory, distribution etc. can be borne by subscription and slightly higher priced ad slots
I have no issues with kind of content people like or dislike but atleast broadcasters should be innovative, creative and more energised to present diverse things to us. If things remain like it is going then except regular local soaps, music, news or repetitive films we will hardly have something worth to watch on tv.

Already OTT has made big headway in landscape which has caused English Entertainment, English Movies, English Music tv viewership shrunk. It seriously gives impression that TV industry has given up and finding ways to restrain growth of OTT rather than catch up or find ways to stay step ahead.

Pricing, Promotions, Distribution, Best Content, Precise scheduling etc. must be done to get healthy results. I see nothing happening except in few cases like Comedy Central or even with Colors Infinity till few months back but new rules has impacted it negatively. Niche Channels r revenue generators but failing miserably, operators like Tata Sky have already realised this and now offering OTT service in partnership with many platforms thru a similar revenue share model.
Excellent analysis by @dino29 as always. :tup: :smile2: I envy your deep understanding of the Indian TV audience. :cap2:

Last edited:
Here is BARC data across all genre TV audience measurement data collection - BARC India

Out of 10 top chs 8 are priced at highest bracket of Rs22. So It's not like people are not paying. So don't bring those useless argument that how many will pay ? If it has content that majority love then majority people will definitely pay and ch will run successfully. Now if you fall in those minority whose taste is different from that of majority then it's obvious ch will shutdown bcoz of lack of viewership.

And again don't portray that OTT is cheaper as you forget to include NCF for those OTT aka Broadband cost

Well brother the Channels u r referring to r popular movie or entertainment channels and almost all people r not paying Rs. 22 for it but getting it actual cost of Rs. 3 or 4 in bouquet. Niche Channels can't work on this low price model hence point i raised is based on ground reality rather than being my theory.

Also popular mass channels operate largely on volume basis, more the people subscribing it higher the subscription revenue and subsequent increase is reflected in ad revenue. Ad slots r sold on varying rates depending on program.

Niche Channels r more dependent on subscription as i have already explained and ads can act as a equal or support base. In case of India ads can contribute to 60 or 70% of niche channel revenue while 30 or 40% still has to be lifted from subscription. Ad slots on these channels command very high rates hence there can be a successfull run even with a limited but loyal base.

Unfortunately as i said u r just looking at very basic info and coming to incorrect conclusion.

Regarding me not adding NCF for OTT, well in today's India broadband or internet cost is much more affordable and OTT is consumed largely by middle , upper middle class people. No one is saying that all can ditch TV and hop to OTT. TV is a mass medium while OTT is a luxury few can afford. Again u got confused as u did not disect finer into how this sector works.

Well brother the Channels u r referring to r popular movie or entertainment channels and almost all people r not paying Rs. 22 for it but getting it actual cost of Rs. 3 or 4 in bouquet. Niche Channels can't work on this low price model hence point i raised is based on ground reality rather than being my theory.

Also popular mass channels operate largely on volume basis, more the people subscribing it higher the subscription revenue and subsequent increase is reflected in ad revenue. Ad slots r sold on varying rates depending on program.

Niche Channels r more dependent on subscription as i have already explained and ads can act as a equal or support base. In case of India ads can contribute to 60 or 70% of niche channel revenue while 30 or 40% still has to be lifted from subscription. Ad slots on these channels command very high rates hence there can be a successfull run even with a limited but loyal base.

Unfortunately as i said u r just looking at very basic info and coming to incorrect conclusion.

Regarding me not adding NCF for OTT, well in today's India broadband or internet cost is much more affordable and OTT is consumed largely by middle , upper middle class people. No one is saying that all can ditch TV and hop to OTT. TV is a mass medium while OTT is a luxury few can afford. Again u got confused as u did not disect finer into how this sector works.

question arises what prevent niche chs to be in a bouquet ? Then like you said movie or Ent chs people would not have to pay full price. And bro pls reply in summary as i lose interest in essay

question arises what prevent niche chs to be in a bouquet ? Then like you said movie or Ent chs people would not have to pay full price. And bro pls reply in summary as i lose interest in essay

I have already answered ur question bro and kept it under different paragraph rather than clubbing it like an essay. To learn something we need interest, patience hence please overcome ur shortcomings. We all keep improving and knowing less or more should not be a matter to feel inferior or superior.

10 years back i did not knew anything about media world but gathered knowledge by putting effort and time. Even now in this forum too i keep imbibing great stuff from lovely members and filter out negativity :)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock