Breaking NTO 2.0 partially upheld by Bombay HC

• Thread starter Thread starter Vadirocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 709
  • Views Views: Views 94,491
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. it does makes sense because HD takes more bandwidth than SD which cost major part of a DPO.

Earlier LCO could manage everything by just 150-200rs from users. They were paying all taxes + broadcaster from this 150 only. Now after getting 130rs fully in your pocket, it is not sufficient or sustainable for you. Nothing to say more. If still you cant smell then do RTPCR for corona.

Yes, earlier operators were not transparent...there were underreporting issues and broadcasters/ government were not getting correct revenue. Even with all these things cable tv overall service quality was not good. Broadcasters did bulk deals at higher price with many smaller operators to offset this loss

Broadcasters are suffering as well. I don't see much ads on smaller channels. Earlier use to complain about ads.

Remember as a kid how you stumbled stumbled upon channels like Fox Life and TLC in your package? While your job was watching Hungama and Discovery channel. Imagine being a kid now. You get to explore new things if someone in your family has a bouquet carrying that particular channel. NTO is dictating our taste in entertainment.

Our population is advantage. We can negotiate good deals with sports boards. Promising them more exposure and make money from same with ads. Now you can't do same as consumers has to subscribe to channels individually.

Many of us stumbled upon inappropriate channels too and these days this is not even needed, small kids have access to mobile while youngsters enjoy OTT with little tv time. .. TV has primarily become entertainment source for older people

Broadcasters cannot negotiate a good deal with sports brands, issue is that niche sports cannot b priced below certain point and our population is more bit inclination to such sports is tiny thus advertisers do not feel interested

You are a slap to the face of 4 lakh Indians who lost their life from COVID. Do you think it's a joke? It took me two months for my tastebuds and smelling to fully recover. I am still facing health issue. Imagine how much suffered from oxygen shortages.

No, your math is weak. One count as one. Not two. When you go and buy one pineapple. You don't pay extra for a good looking one. When both weighs same.

As I said before it might not affect bigger DPOs. It affects smaller DPOs. As consumers are moving away because of price hike. The only way for them to make money is to adapt to selling broadband with cable connections. Even this is not sustainable for smaller cities and villages.

For bigger pineapple price will always b little more dependent on weight
Be it smaller or bigger operators they will have to adapt to changing landscape...cable tv operators were late in this but few dth operators like tata sky, airtel woke up early...d2h, dish tv had promising start but lost touch mid way

See buddy, every active member of our community try to add into the discussion. Of course, sometimes any one of us might be in the wrong and other members will give correct information and will members understand that. In my case I only reply for something when I know something about it, let's take the earlier reply. I was just trying to make u understand why DPO'S have a valid reason for following that practice and thats about it. When you simply reply to that so many things which aren't related to what I was saying I don't know what that should be called. I agree that you spoke regarding bandwidth consumption and all,, but are they even remotely close to what we were discussing earlier. Thats being said, it's up to you on how to maintain healthy discussion from here on out as you said thats what you want.
Alright bro. 🕊️

Yes, earlier operators were not transparent...there were underreporting issues and broadcasters/ government were not getting correct revenue. Even with all these things cable tv overall service quality was not good. Broadcasters did bulk deals at higher price with many smaller operators to offset this loss
Yeah. That reporting almost became transparent when the government had brought digitalization to the earlier analog cablers. I dont think NTO in particular had anything to do with curbing underreporting at all.

I think it's same was on the press release. They are selling Satellite TV not Netflix that they would have to differentiate in SD and HD plans.

They r giving u all in one pack...all the set up cost is being covered by them and this is why ncf is necessary. Already TRAI has capped it at Rs. 160 for primary and Rs. 61 was 2nd conns. Just like u pay for internet and ott, here u pay for transmission and entertainment

Reactions: KGF
They r giving u all in one pack...all the set up cost is being covered by them and this is why ncf is necessary. Already TRAI has capped it at Rs. 160 for primary and Rs. 61 was 2nd conns. Just like u pay for internet and ott, here u pay for transmission and entertainment
Just to add to that @iDJ bro. Let's say you are watching a movie in 480p and it's consumed 1GB data but you wanted to watch the same movie in 4K and it may consume 9-10GB. Will your IPO agree if u say that I had watched the same movie but with better quality why should I pay more for the extra 9 GB I consumed on watching the movie? Its the same with this as well.

There is a healthy competition when we pay for the internet. I have lots of options where can I opted for a cheaper ISP and save cost. Here almost all operators are charging almost same amount for NCF.
Just to add to that @iDJ bro. Let's say you are watching a movie in 480p and it's consumed 1GB data but you wanted to watch the same movie in 4K and it may consume 9-10GB. Will your IPO agree if u say that I had watched the same movie but with better quality why should I pay more for the extra 9 GB I consumed on watching the movie? Its the same with this as well.
I got your points. My point is operator should bear the cost. Here's why and it's profitable for DPOs too. When we buy channels. Operator gets 20% profit. When we are buying any HD channels. We are already paying more than the amount of it's SD counterpart because of it having superior picture and audio quality. If customers gets more free slots. They would be encouraged to pay for more than 100 HD channels. In a way it's more profitable for DPO.

Last edited:
Means useless channels are available for watching to you as Complementary but you don't watch them. Same scenario was there before NTO useless channels were available, consumers were simply ignoring them and were watching channels of their choice.

U can drop FTA bundle packs right now, these r not mandatory but by opting for them it helps operators earn revenue which is necessary for providing good service. No one is forcing any1 to watch these nor it costs anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom