Breaking Reliance and Disney merger approved by CCI

• Thread starter Thread starter rajrocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 415
  • Views Views: Views 50,462
Amidst all this fiasco, everyone forgot this history :

Star TV started as an independent satellite TV channel in China in the 90s, with the help of Hutchison Whampoa (owners of the now defunct Hutch mobile network). It had two Chinese channels and other channels such as MTV (then a part of Star before Viacom/ Paramount acquired it), Star Movies, Prime Sports (now Star Sports) and Star Plus.

Thereafter it came to India in 1993 (except the Chinese channels). Rupert Murdoch acquired this (as he has the habit of doing so) and complemented it with NewsCorp's other brands such as Sky and Fox.

Now, the Star brand no longer exists in China. All it's Chinese channels (except Xing Kong) have shut down. Today some of us have a habit of shunning and boycotting Chinese products, because of diplomatic issues. But a media brand that we are so fond of had it's roots in China. It's good that Star brand no longer exists there. Or else people would've started boycotting this as well.
Well S.T.A.R stood for Satellite Television Asian Region and combined it came to be known as Star TV.

2 OTTs are not easy to maintain by 1 broadcaster due to heavy infra costs, so they need to shut 1 OTT after merger.
Exactly... They should merge jio cinema in hotstar because of smooth ui and rebrand the name like jiostar or jio cinema and have to give seperate space for colors and star in hotstar

They spend millions on getting streaming rights.

The name itself is not correctly placed
Firstly, Jio refer as a Telecom operator how would it be fitted with BSNL, Airtel, Vi OTT including hotstar bundled subscription?
I personally will not promote my rivalry brand with my plans?
Secondly, Cinema refer to as in some kind of movie streaming platform?
In my opinion Jio already knew they will acquire more OTT platform in future that's why they waited this long otherwise JioCinema itself doesn't look like OTT name.
None of the reasons you mentioned looks worthwhile.

JioCinema is a perfect and established name.

Ambani shouldn't diminish his brand just for a small percentage who doesn't like to watch Sports on an app named Cinema.

Much more established than Hotstar, isn’t it? There’s a reason why a premium brand, Vistara, is being killed and Air India retained, right?

There is NO sense to JioCinema whatsoever. Period.
You don't understand Ambani's stratergy here, D+HS tied up with rival Telcos, ISPs & app aggregators etc, so he wants to cut/shut hotstar content to opponents, exclusive to Jio users after this merger

You don't understand Ambani's stratergy here, D+HS tied up with rival Telcos, ISPs & app aggregators etc, so he wants to cut/shut hotstar content to opponents, exclusive to Jio users after this merger
I understand your point, and I’m not opposed to keeping the Jio part of the name if need be. But throwing out the Hotstar brand and keeping a very strange-sounding JioCinema name is not something I agree with.

As @Raju lal chettan proposed, JioHotstar or something like that will be better. And even if Hotstar cannot be retained, Cinema should be discarded. (Chettan is Malayalam for elder brother.)

I understand your point, and I’m not opposed to keeping the Jio part of the name if need be. But throwing out the Hotstar brand and keeping a very strange-sounding JioCinema name is not something I agree with.
They can rename like Jio Star or Jio Hotstar after some time

Back
Top Bottom