Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

Source please? A little too hard to digest

This movie is produced by T-Series and Sony is in tie up with them for acquiring movies since mid of 2017. Only few exceptions like Bharat will be there, as in such cases Stars have exclusive deal for their movies with particular network. On the other hand, even though Salman Bhai has exclusive satellite rights agreement with Zee for next 3 or 4 films but if any of these r made by YRF then Sony will be telecast partner.

Other than Sony-YRF partnership, none of the contracts cover all movies. This relation has been there since 90's and still holds strong on all grounds.

This movie is produced by T-Series and Sony is in tie up with them for acquiring movies since mid of 2017.
Examples of T-Series productions whose rights are with Sony: Sarbjit, Junooniyat, Wajah Tum Ho, Noor, Hindi Medium, Raabta, Simran, Bhoomi, Chef, Tumhari Sulu, SKTKS, Blackmail, Fanney Khan.

But Raid, Why Cheat India and De De Pyar De are with Star, and Batti Gul Meter Chalu and Satyameva Jayate are with Zee.
On the other hand, even though Salman Bhai has exclusive satellite rights agreement with Zee for next 3 or 4 films but if any of these r made by YRF then Sony will be telecast partner.
Unlikely that a Salman film will be produced by YRF in the next 2-3 years. In fact there are only 3 such movies: Ek Tha Tiger, Sultan and Tiger Zinda Hai, which seems a ridiculously low number given how successful they have been.

Side note: YRF has not released a single movie, or even revealed the name of any upcoming movies, since the disaster that was Thugs of Hindostan. The Arjun-Parineeti starrer Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar has not been released even though it was supposed to have been released in March.
I agree with you and everyone that SPN acquiring the rights for any Hindi film (other than YRF) nowadays is unbelievable. For this reason I desperately want Neeraj Vyas to be kicked out. Whoever comes in must launch an HD channel like SGS HD that will do justice to Sony's massive library.

Last edited:
Examples of T-Series productions whose rights are with Sony: Sarbjit, Junooniyat, Wajah Tum Ho, Noor, Hindi Medium, Raabta, Simran, Bhoomi, Chef, Tumhari Sulu, SKTKS, Blackmail, Fanney Khan.

But Raid, Why Cheat India and De De Pyar De are with Star, and Batti Gul Meter Chalu and Satyameva Jayate are with Zee.

Unlikely that a Salman film will be produced by YRF in the next 2-3 years. In fact there are only 3 such movies: Ek Tha Tiger, Sultan and Tiger Zinda Hai, which seems a ridiculously low number given how successful they have been.

Side note: YRF has not released a single movie, or even revealed the name of any upcoming movies, since the disaster that was Thugs of Hindostan. The Arjun-Parineeti starrer Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar has not been released even though it was supposed to have been released in March.

I agree with you and everyone that SPN acquiring the rights for any Hindi film (other than YRF) nowadays is unbelievable. For this reason I desperately want Neeraj Vyas to be kicked out. Whoever comes in must launch an HD channel like SGS HD that will do justice to Sony's massive library.

Well, T-Series has to be the sole producer and Star of the film does not have to be involved in an exclusive deal with some broadcaster then only Sony will get rights. Ajay Devgn films will land up with Star in any case, while for ones like Satyamev Jayate or Batti Gul all producers take a joint call or in some cases rights r sold to 3rd party which syndicates it to broadcasters. Salman, Ajay, SRK too buy rights of all their movies and sign bulk agreements with broadcasters. It is complex web of things and difficult to understand for a regular person.

Filmkaraft used to have good relationship with Star up until 2011 or 12 after which their pact ended and Sony got all its movies thanks to YRF which is distributor of old Filmkraft movies. Now Hritik has signed contract with Star so apart from new movies i think his older ones will land up on Star soon after contract period with Sony ends. It is similar to how Zee is grabbing all older Salman films which were earlier with Star India. Latest to join is Tere Naam which will premiere on Zee Bollywood tonight.

Producing movies with Salman is costly affair and YRF is going thru tough times. Kabir Khan is not working with Salman now and been setback for YRF while Ali Abbas Zafar has also moved out from camp with Bharat. Let's see what happens.

Jolly bro, try and send ur feedback to Mr. Neeraj Vyas on Twitter, i do not support using harsh words towards anyone specially in cases like these where business decisions r taken on variety of factors. Sony Max is performing great with dubbed content hence credit goes to their team. Coming to launching new Bollywood Channel, well i support this and have made this point number of times. Sony Wah should be revamped, already they have started showing some Bollywood films and started mentioning names of movies on promos or while airing movies in English to further enhance appeal among urban audience ( English is considered cool or symbol of modernity by Indians which i do not agree upon). Also Sony did try to keep Max HD as pure play bollywood channel but ratings were dismal hence changed course soon after launch

Last edited:

1rmEbhu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock