Breaking Sony is in talks to buy a stake in Network18

• Thread starter GJ mit
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 635
  • Views: Views 101,918
I don't think there will be a merger happen between both networks. This cannot be related to Disney-Fox, Viacom-CBS deal. Even if this deal happen, Sony Network remain same under Sony and Network 18 will undergo restructuring in top level but operate as separate entity. It may renamed as Sony Viacom 18 financed by Sony, Viacom and Reliance. Not expecting a merger as Sony only buys some shares. Even in practice, the merger is not mutually benefitting (both networks has presence in similar genres except sports). Just an example, Sony-Sun merger will be mutually benefitting. Surely there will be some give and takes in some genres. But merger will lead to more sacrifices. Major aim of this deal is content. So they may launch a streaming service which is able to compete with Hotstar, Netflix, Prime etc. Also there will be movie sharing between channels.

Bro is Sony to be merged with Viacom18???
Yes. There was a deal which happened last year

There was news reports going around last year! However it died out pretty quickly! If it's going to happen, there would have been an announcement by now. I don't know why many people think it's a done deal and think they are merging. For starters, after the news broke out, SPNI already sold out its channels apart from India. Viacom merged with CBS forming VIACOMCBS. I guess its time for us to stop mentioning it unnecessarily unless there is a official news from concerning parties

Ps. Sony is not good with dealing things, take for example they announced to buy out stake in Maa TV (now STAR India's leading GEC) and messed up pretty badly handing it straight to Star Network which in turn in now its No1 GEC.

There was news reports going around last year! However it died out pretty quickly! If it's going to happen, there would have been an announcement by now. I don't know why many people think it's a done deal and think they are merging. For starters, after the news broke out, SPNI already sold out its channels apart from India. Viacom merged with CBS forming VIACOMCBS. I guess its time for us to stop mentioning it unnecessarily unless there is a official news from concerning parties

Ps. Sony is not good with dealing things, take for example they announced to buy out stake in Maa TV (now STAR India's leading GEC) and messed up pretty badly handing it straight to Star Network which in turn in now its No1 GEC.

Well i have shared many occurrences which indicate merger latest being Sony Mix continuously flashing MTV Beats ad before shutdown (rival chs of diff networks operating in same genre do not air each other's ads. Also right from content on English GEC to changes in key positions in company... If we match all up then one can sense what is happening

Regarding Sony selling chs in asia, well its their call likeways all companies r free to decide where to sell, merge or acquire. Lastly announcements r done once all changes required r in place, remember Disney had took control of Star India much earlier but official statement came while later

Well i have shared many occurrences which indicate merger latest being Sony Mix continuously flashing MTV Beats ad before shutdown (rival chs of diff networks operating in same genre do not air each other's ads. Also right from content on English GEC to changes in key positions in company... If we match all up then one can sense what is happening

Regarding Sony selling chs in asia, well its their call likeways all companies r free to decide where to sell, merge or acquire. Lastly announcements r done once all changes required r in place, remember Disney had took control of Star India much earlier but official statement came while later
If you are saying based on an add that these companies are merging then it's your stand, I cannt say anything other thing about that! PKL, IPL when are telecasting on Maa Movies, all the rival networks ran adds for the same.

And Disney taking control over Star, they have announced Star India management (Uday Shankar) is taking over Entire Dieney Asia Pacific way before March 20, 2019 when they took effective control.

And also mind that no activities can be take place before CCI approves of such matters. Last I checked neither Viacom18 nor Sony filed for CCI approval for merger.

Is sony sold all their channels??

Sony mix
Sony rox
Sony le plex
Sony espn... these 4 channels already closed..

If you are saying based on an add that these companies are merging then it's your stand, I cannt say anything other thing about that! PKL, IPL when are telecasting on Maa Movies, all the rival networks ran adds for the same.

And Disney taking control over Star, they have announced Star India management (Uday Shankar) is taking over Entire Dieney Asia Pacific way before March 20, 2019 when they took effective control.

And also mind that no activities can be take place before CCI approves of such matters. Last I checked neither Viacom18 nor Sony filed for CCI approval for merger.

Well i would not indulge in long discussion about this as already done so in past. 1stly u misunderstood my point regarding broadcasters flashing ads of rival ch operating in same genre with those from other genres getting aired.... Latter is not issue but former never happens.

Long before Disney official announcement we had seen changes happening and discussed here.

Lastly read this latest article

Sudhanshu Vats’ exit puts the spotlight back on Sony-Network18 merger talks

Last edited:
Well i would not indulge in long discussion about this as already done so in past. 1stly misunderstood my point regards broadcasters flashing ads of rival ch operating in same genre with those from other genres getting aired.... Latter is not issue but former never happens.

Long before Disney official announcement we had seen changes happening and discussed here.

Lastly read this latest article

Sudhanshu Vats’ exit puts the spotlight back on Sony-Network18 merger talks

They are just speculating bro! And article itself says it's in Talks and no deal mentioned! And as I mentioned in earlier posts, if there was deal they would have filed for CCI approval. If CCI do not approve they cant go through with it! So no company would shut down channels unless they have to not because they are going to merge with some other network, if they are not sure if that would be approved or not.
I don't know you observed how the acquisition by Zee for 9x went down after being made deal Public. In this case even that is not done and you are speaking they started merging.
And about Sudhanshu Vats leaving, many people switch between companies, take Sanjay Gupta who was effectively running Disney India left for Google India after the closure of the deal. Its common for executives to swith.

So this is my logical explanation, after this also if you think its going on, its fine. I might be wrong on this! Imo we should stop talking that it's happening or happened. That's the thing I mentioned in the first post. I don't want to drag this much longer , its ur choice to mention the deal we last heard from business publishers some 6 months ago and not made any further progress to mention like it's happening.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock