Breaking Sony is in talks to buy a stake in Network18

• Thread starter GJ mit
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 635
  • Views: Views 105,083
I think Sony - Viacom Deal not Game changing merger in India :(
hJifo5s.jpg
I know which media person said that 😂🤣.
Even wallstreat said ViacomCBS merge is a disaster and felt only the heft falling on CBS due to merge. But now ViacomCBS is doing wonders. Whereas Disney fox was called major move but didn't touch even the toe nail of expectations.
Moral : never listen to people who call themselves as experts 😂

Sony will hold 74% in the resultant merged company not in viacom18. Viacom 18 is a JV where 51% is owned by network 18 (75% owned by RIL) and 49% owned by Viacom. In the merged company 26% will be held by Viacom 18 of which RIL will own around 11%, Viacom will hold around 13% and around 2% would be for the non promoter shareholding in Network18.

Will he helpful if you can tabulate the ownership and share holding structure of Viacom18, Network18, TV18, Sun18, ViacomCBS, Sony Pictures Network India.

Comcast is in deal with tv18 . Zee can compete alone. And get some help from sun. It doesn't require international players or market
Comcast is in deal? Are you freaking know what you're talking about. TV18 has rights to use the brand CNBC in india. It's much like TataSky where we all know SKY is owned by Comcast but it use the license to use sky branding in india. SAME is it for CNBC.
Even wallstreat said ViacomCBS merge is a disaster and felt only the heft falling on CBS due to merge. But now ViacomCBS is doing wonders. Whereas Disney fox was called major move but didn't touch even the toe nail of expectations.
Kindly don't compare Disney-Fox Deal. It's van international level merger with two powerful companies & also Disney buyed Fox only for 2 things. 1st to get back it's marvel & starwars rights, 2nd To expand their portfolio of content to compete to Netflix,Amazon & Apple. We all know most of the popular franchise is owned by disney even the US networks share is dominated by disney. ( I'm not praising Disney Dominance ) But don't you compare the two mergers they are different in size & scale.

I think if deal is successful and then other networks( star Disney, zee) , can max get is the Filmfare oh sorry FAKEFARE awards in the gec segment I don't see kbc and indan idol moving anywhere else

Last edited:
Viacom18 has a non compete clause in Telugu as far as I know with ETV when they acquired all ETV channels. So both might not be in the contention. Besides Telugu market already crowded which will not be easy for any new channel to get it's roots quickly.
I strongly say no telugu market is not crowded we only have 4 main gec channels star maa, etv , zee telugu ,gemini and small gec like studio one, vissa exist . Most of the time these small gec play ads only . We telugu people want a strong player for good content

Also don’t expect good things and bad things.

Well I never compared . And every media analyser knows how Disney fox deal didn't reach as expected not even close. I'm saying is media experts can't predict future based on past and present scenario. As per US TV share viewers Disney has fallen post merger which was close to viacomcbs to give competition but now below AT&T. Which were unexpected. That's what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock