Breaking Sony is in talks to buy a stake in Network18

• Thread starter GJ mit
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 635
  • Views: Views 102,217
Well I never compared . And every media analyser knows how Disney fox deal didn't reach as expected not even close. I'm saying is media experts can't predict future based on past and present scenario. As per US TV share viewers Disney has fallen post merger which was close to viacomcbs to give competition but now below AT&T. Which were unexpected. That's what I meant.

You're saying you didn't compare but what i feel you did. You compared the International centric deal to a indian centric deal. Also Disney is focusing on OTT segment of their business you're a senior member you should know it!

As per US TV share viewers Disney has fallen post merger which was close to viacomcbs to give competition but now below AT&T. Which were unexpected.

TV viewership in the US has been in decline for years. Now, mainly the older generation watches it. Hence, channels which target older audiences (e.g., CBS, Fox News) generally do better. Also, the Disney-Fox merger only added a few cable channels (e.g., FX, Nat Geo) to Disney's portfolio. Notably missing was the Fox broadcast network and any Fox-branded sports networks. Therefore, the merger wasn't expected to increase their TV viewership by much. It was, however, intended to strengthen their capabilities in terms of development and production. For instance, ABC Studios and 20th Century Fox Television are now both subsidiaries of Disney Television Studios.

In terms of movies, the Disney-Fox merger led to them accounting for 38% of the US box office in 2019. That's definitely not a failure by any means. In comparison, their closest competitor Warner Bros accounted for only 13.8%. As a side note, Disney removed the "Fox" branding from their acquired film studios, so 20th Century Fox was renamed to 20th Century Studios. Then, will Fox Star Studios eventually follow suit?

Last edited:
TV viewership in the US has been in decline for years. Now, mainly the older generation watches it. Hence, channels which target older audiences (e.g., CBS, Fox News) generally do better. Also, the Disney-Fox merger only added a few cable channels (e.g., FX, Nat Geo) to Disney's portfolio. Notably missing was the Fox broadcast network and any Fox-branded sports networks. Therefore, the merger wasn't expected to increase their TV viewership by much. It was, however, intended to strengthen their capabilities in terms of development and production. For instance, ABC Studios and 20th Century Fox Television are now both subsidiaries of Disney Television Studios.

In terms of movies, the Disney-Fox merger led to them accounting for 38% of the US box office in 2019. That's definitely not a failure by any means. In comparison, their closest competitor Warner Bros accounted for only 13.8%. As a side note, Disney removed the "Fox" branding from their acquired film studios, so 20th Century Fox was renamed to 20th Century Studios. Then, will Fox Star Studios eventually follow suit?
FINALLY someone understands this in this forum. OFF TOPIC- I Remember watching interview of Bob Iger where he said direct to consumer is a key area where FOX assets will help. I don't think Disney will ever buy any TV network now in any other region. What they can do probably is to make hulu internationally maybe ESPN+ too.

What I said was we can't treat media experts prediction as final.

Sony be like
nGNrHli.jpg

I am fed up by these news and by waiting since long.
First it was on sony - zee merger
Then sony - Viacom merger
And now this person saying that it will be zee - Viacom merger
Better that all sony, zee and Viacom merges together problem is sorted
I don't know how long this deal will take to happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock