Good News Sony TV to be Revamped

• Thread starter Thread starter Deep Mody
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 46
  • Views Views: Views 5,896
Because urban audience doesn't watch tv much they are more inclined towards other platforms much
In present may be yes due to ott platforms but in past also maybe 7-8 yrs back also sony shows doesn't get much trp may be because no repeat policies of the channel

In present may be yes due to ott platforms but in past also maybe 7-8 yrs back also sony shows doesn't get much trp may be because no repeat policies of the channel
Sab tv does it much better as hd feed airs the repeat telecast of all of their shows there is one more reason of that they don't have old episodes of tmkoc in hd version

Sab tv does it much better as hd feed airs the repeat telecast of all of their shows there is one more reason of that they don't have old episodes of tmkoc in hd version
Repeat telecast matters na if somebody missed the episode in original telecast they will look for repeats as everybody doesn't use the ott platform and i don't know why sony stop showing repeats a trend followed by other channels as well

Sony TV never had good ratings as it is not a channel for showing Saas Bahu stuff which makes Star Plus winner among all,but quality of serials are much better than rivals and worth watching for learned/educated viewers,I always had only one GEC in my list in DTH connection that is Sony TV since long.
But in hindi movie space situation is opposite while Sony Max became a full south channel catering to masses star gold stuck to its core proposition catering to Bollywood audience in that scenario max was winner in most of the weeks in trp ratings in pre pandemic times when they were having the blanket of goldmines but star gold never changed their strategy in the hindi gec space star plus was winner with their strategy with shows like anupama but sony never changed their strategy

But in hindi movie space situation is opposite while Sony Max became a full south channel catering to masses star gold stuck to its core proposition catering to Bollywood audience in that scenario max was winner in most of the weeks in trp ratings in pre pandemic times when they were having the blanket of goldmines but star gold never changed their strategy in the hindi gec space star plus was winner with their strategy with shows like anupama but sony never changed their strategy
They should rename Sony max to Sony Maxam 🥲

Since everyone has been talking about Sony tv and Star plus, i will share my two cents.

The case of Star plus and Sony tv is quite interesting. Star plus experimented with a few content driven shows but failed badly, dropping to 6th place in 2018, its lowest position ever. After Disney's takeover, they reverted to their old programming style while still maintaining some quality. Ratings improved slightly but the channel didnt regain its former glory until the 2020 lockdown. With the rerun of Mahabharat, Star plus reclaimed its top position by a huge margin, and they havent looked back since. After introducing remakes of Bengali shows, they have been unbeatable. While their programs are quite regressive, this formula is clearly working well for them. IMO if you are looking for quality programming from Star plus, its a lost cause. There is no hope, they know their target audience and are sticking to what works for them.

Now, coming to Sony tv, i honestly dont understand what this channel has been doing for the past couple of years. What are they even trying to achieve?? Sony tv has always claimed to be a premium channel targeting the upper class, but it never really acted like one. Their shows are just slightly more updated versions of Star plus soaps. In a bid to chase higher ratings, they have also leaned into more dramatic shows, all while claiming to offer quality programming. They say they are targeting an upper class audience but if you look at their shows, its clear they are trying to appeal to the masses. Sony has forgotten to whom they were targetting and thats why they are losing badly. When a channel neglects its core audience, this is what happens. Mass audiences never really tuned in to Sony tv, so why would they start now, when they are already loyal to Star plus or Colors?? This simple fact is something they have never grasped.

Another issue is their scheduling. They air only 2-3 fiction shows, 2-3 reality show and a few mythological programs, but there is no organized structure like you see with other major channels. This has always been a problem for Sony tv.

As for their reality shows, please for God's sake end those third rate singing and dancing competitions. Why do they insist on dragging them out for 10+ years?? Are they trying to turn every household in india into singers and dancers?? Also KBC needs to go. Its not even getting more than 1 trps anymore. Bring something fresh and new that audiences will actually enjoy. I watch korean variety shows and they have such a wide range of content, from Culinary Class Wars, Physical: 100 & Siren: Survive the island on Netflix to Running Man, Elite League, League of Universities: Athlete Boys on local tv channels. These shows are not just entertaining, they are super engaging. Meanwhile, we have been stuck with Indian Idol and Super Dancer for over 10+ years. Its boring, please stop it.

Another suggestion: start making finite shows with a maximum of 50-60 episodes. Even Star plus's experimental shows like POW, Everest, Manmarziyan, Tamanna and Sumit Sambhal Lega were far better than Sony’s so called content driven shows. They should focus on creating similar content instead of pushing typical daily soaps disguised as content driven shows. Also, stop producing mythological and historical dramas, especially when they are full of inaccuracies. Its pointless.

Lastly, lets talk about Sab tv. I have never understood why this channel shifted from a comedy focus to dramedy and now to straight up drama. What was even the point?? Comedy always worked for them and it got similar ratings to their current family dramas. So why change their identity?? TMKOC & its reruns still pulls strong ratings for Sab tv, so its not like they are dependent on other shows. Or has making comedy become too difficult for Sab tv??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom