Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,459
  • Views Views: Views 1,675,158

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
5yVxQGP.jpg

Switch to Tata. Just kidding! Somnath bhai. You love sports very much. You should go for a broadband connection. Satellite channels will just disappoint us. I am on moving basis so I can't get a fixed connection for next couple of months. It was so fun to watch any Japanese or Indy wrestling show without running out of data. Last Olympics made me realise that satellite TV has no future for sports. Give them 200 channels. They will still spam with same things they wants us to watch.

I partially agree with u. Well TV Channels would not be able to air all matches / sports events bcoz of various reasons be monetary constraints to buy rights or scheduling those events on TV Channels which get more ratings , need to recover massive investment done for key sporting properties also leads to such events getting prominence on channels and above all lack of channels to cover all events too adds to the problem in some cases.

For complete experience one needs to have both TV, OTT subscription so that as per ur liking / convenience u can watch ur favorite sports.

Who will buy 4K DTH connections? A current dabba (letterbox) channel consumers? Those who want 4K content have already moved to dumping DTH for OTTs. I see there is zero chance for broadcasters to succeed with 4K channels. Because of their own mistake. They never pushed the bar. They needed to be aggressive with HD channels. Make the prices competitive. This is why I see people with 4K sets watching Star Sports 1 Hindi instead of Star Sports 1 Hindi HD.

The smart boxes of different DTH Platforms do support 4K content.

I agree with u that in earlier years (2015-2017) 4K did not get a major push in India but broadcasters and DTH operators did put in efforts for the same and provided certain sports, movie content on temporary 4K service channels which were made available on various platforms and Tata Sky (Play) and others did launch 4K enabled boxes. Problems was that during this period only few people had 4K television sets , pricing of these channels were quite high and above all DTH operators were constantly facing bandwidth issue due to which they were unable to provide much 4K content thru their satellite .

Now situation has changed....there r lot more people having 4K Television Sets, internet / broadband penetration has significantly increased and its available at affordable price and most importantly many subscribers have opted for Hybrid/Smart boxes of various DTH / Cable TV Platforms.

Yes, there is an audience which has shifted entirely to OTT but this is an extremely small/minute number when compared to total TV universe. There r lot more subscribers who watch content on both linear and ott platforms and have taken Smart/Hybrid boxes of various operators, operators/broadcasters have a great opportunity to provide 4K content to these subscribers... Biggest plus point is that operators have option to add 4K channel via satellite and in HEVC format it would require same bandwidth aa required for a HD channel in MPEG4 format , incase operators cannot do this bcoz of bandwidth shortage then easiest way is to provide 4K channel via internet to its smart box users just like Tata Play is providing many SD, HD channels exclusively via internet

Looks like UAE International T20 league will get success against CSAs SA20 league. Zee Acquired Global Media Rights they will Recover acquisition cost from Sublicensing Rights in other countries like earlier Star did for ICC, IPL, BCCI Global Media Rights. Viacom18 Acquisition cost too much on SA20 Broadcasting in India.

So India Tour of New Zealand Exclusively on Prime video without broadcast partner, hope Amazon Prime will airing match without ads. Problem of OTTs nowadays is too much ads inbetween overs/wickets compared with HD Satellite TV Channel just because to recover content Rights acquisition cost and bundled OTT plans gives less revenue to OTTs.

If any private sports broadcaster does not get into agreement with Amazon Prime Video to broadcast this series on their channels then we are likely see this series being aired live on DD Sports just like what happened incase of India's Tour Of West Indies. As format of these matches r covered under the Events Of National Importance category and as per law private broadcasters need to share the TV feed for the same with Doordarshan hence in absence of a private broadcaster there is high possibility that Doordarshan will work out some sort of partnership with Amazon Prime Video and air this series on DD Sports

Back
Top Bottom