Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,459
  • Views Views: Views 1,675,251

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Prime Video has signed six sponsors and two advertisers for its upcoming India men’s tour of New Zealand. This is the first time that Prime Video is entering into a sponsorship with the series.

“India men’s tour of New Zealand will be the first live cricket series on Prime Video to feature advertisements, helping brands reach Prime Video’s premium base of highly engaged customers, spread across the country,”

The platform has roped in Airtel Xstream Fiber as the presenting sponsor of the broadcast featuring the six limited overs international matches. Consumer brands like MPL, Nescafé, Noise, OLX Autos, and Vida have come on board as associate sponsors. Additionally, AMFI and DBS have also been confirmed advertisers.

Divan noted that they want to be careful about one thing that comes from customer research: fans love watching live cricket, but what seems to detract from this experience, particularly in the last 10-15 years, is the number of commercial messages they see on screen. "We want to maintain a very high bar on customer experience. As a result, we will limit the number of advertisements that fans will see during the live match. We've made sure to strike a balance between the customer experience and the expectations of advertisers."

Prime Video will deliver live commentary, match-programming, and graphics in English, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada and Telugu. Former captains and cricketers like Ravi Shastri, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Gundappa Viswanath, Anjum Chopra, Venkatpathy Raju, among others, will be bringing the matches alive with their insightful commentary in different languages.

Prime Video will also offer an English language live one-hour pre-show before each game. The mid-innings break will feature a 15 minute show which will be a recap of the first innings and preview of the second. The live programming also involves a 30-minute post-match presentation and analysis by Prime Video’s stable of cricket experts.
Let's laugh for every post but it's ok, Post quote about Amazon Prime ad free cricket experience on onlytech forum threads.

This thread will serve as a ready reference for Sports Channels, Broadcast Rights, Availability in India as well as general discussion regarding current and upcoming sports channels in India.

The following is the list of current sports channels available in India; as on 24th October 2022.

GOI (Doordarshan)

DD Sports

Disney Star
Star Sports 1 (+HD)
Star Sports 2 (+HD)
Star Sports 3 (+HD)
Star Sports Select 1 (+HD)
Star Sports Select 2 (+HD)
Star Sports First
Star Sports 1 Hindi (+HD)
Star Sports 1 Tamil
Star Sports 1 Telugu
Star Sports 1 Kannada

Star Sports 1 Bangla
Star Sports 1 Marathi

Sony Sports Network
Sony Sports TEN 1 (+HD)
Sony Sports TEN 2 (+HD)
Sony Sports TEN 3 (+HD)
Sony Sports TEN 4 (+HD)
Sony Sports TEN 5 (+HD) (Earlier known as Sony SIX)

Viacom 18
Sports18 1 (+HD)
Sports18 Khel

Discovery Communications
Eurosport (+HD)

Lex Sportel Vision
1Sports
Where is StarSports 3 HD????!!!

By the way all Indian Men and Women cricket team matches should be live on DD.

Will Prime Videos will share rights with Prashar Bharti or it will be live on DD Sports?
It will be live on DD Sports1.0

I dont understand why they need to show share the broadcast rights for DTH and Cable TV if you have the money to have a DTH or Cable TV then Amazon have all the right not to share with TV channels and expect those people to buy their subscription to watch match

will Sports 18 1 HD going to telecast Abu Dhabi T10 ? I am not interested in Fifa World Cup as long as India is not there dont want to support any Foreign Countries and waste my 12rs.

Can any one confirm Abu Dhabi T10 live on Sports 18 1 HD?
In January Sports18 have live telecast for SA20 league if you are interested in cricket

It is true that Sony has lost out on renewing many key sporting event rights as well as not able to acquire other important rights... Let's wait n see if equation changes in the future.. Issue with zee paying high amount to star/disney for acquiring ICC Events TV rights is not that OTT will gain prominence in the future and TV as an entertainment medium would b left behind hence causing loss to zee .... Infact linear tv will continue to grow and hold strong for next 15 or 20 years while OTT will also expand its footprint but still not become a mass medium for accessing content.

Problem is that Non India Cricket Matches do not getting good ratings barring some key matches which r of interest hence be it on TV or OTT ad revenues remain quite less for such matches. This maybe one of the reasons why star/disney decided to offload the TV Rights of next cycle of ICC events but retained digital rights as it would help cater to niche audience as well as help in boosting content on disney+hotstar keeping in view growth in OTT sector which is expected in coming years.

In my opinion sony needs to review its content strategy in not only sports but other genres too as it is rather weak or does not have presence in many genres. Zee - Sony merger can hugely help in redrawing the strategy & define key areas where both the broadcasters need to focus on. If sony-zee fails to acquire major sporting events then it should exit sports genre and put its resources in strengthening other areas where it has strong foothold or require the push. Zee had earlier exit sports channel business bcoz of same reason.

Actually sports as a genre is quite cost intensive & requires lot of investment, more so broadcasters are able to get return to investment or earn profit at a very later stage that too when they have rights of some events will garner high viewership.... A channel can also somehow invest in low key sporting events and run the channel but it does not get desired audience hence is not quite productive. These days even rights of major football, tennis , other events like WWE, Olympics / Commonwealth Games etc. & even cricket rights of home matches of different countries too cost quite a lot but revenue earned from it is quite small as compared to IPL, India Cricket (except when Indian Cricket Team tours these nations).

Big advantage that sports channels bring to a broadcaster is to make its bouquets attractive & helps in delivering good subscription numbers. It also immensely helps for better reach of all its channels as operators cannot ignore signing agreement with respective broadcasters or not updating RIO on regular intervals to bring onboard new channels
I dont know much about the hindi channels thats why I didnt say anything about that but when it comes to Sports Sony Zee needs to rework their strategy. Yes linear TV will be there I agree but after 5 years I expect the revenue you generate from digital to overtake TV by a big way. Already the rich people have moved to OTT and within 5 years when 5g and fast Internet reaches all corners of the country and low cost mobile 5g device come I expect OTT to reach the entire middle class and even the poor too. So the advertisers will be paying more for OTT than for digital TV. At this rate they better either plan to become a niche channel like Eurosport or follow what Zee did and close down the business and cut their losses coz Sports broadcast is a cutthroat business or they may go the way Neo Sports went

It will be live on DD Sports1.0

I dont understand why they need to show share the broadcast rights for DTH and Cable TV if you have the money to have a DTH or Cable TV then Amazon have all the right not to share with TV channels and expect those people to buy their subscription to watch match
Everyone doesn't effort to get an Amazon subscription. Viewers watch TV and can switch in TV channels with their TV remote which can't be done in ott platform.

TV viewership reach is much more than ott viewership reach.

Everyone doesn't effort to get an Amazon subscription. Viewers watch TV and can switch in TV channels with their TV remote which can't be done in ott platform.

TV viewership reach is much more than ott viewership reach.
I know but Amazon in paying the bucks with the hope people will buy the subscription to watch matches so nothing wrong with them not sharing the matches with others

Court said to share with DD Sports1.0 so that the poor people can watch. If you are the middle class who spend 300-400pm (3000+ / yr) for DTH or cable nothing wrong with Amazon expecting you to pay 1500 for their subscription

Last edited:
I know but Amazon in paying the bucks with the hope people will buy the subscription to watch matches so nothing wrong with them not sharing the matches with others

Court said to share with DD Sports1.0 so that the poor people can watch. If you are the middle class who spend 300-400pm (3000+ / yr) for DTH or cable nothing wrong with Amazon expecting you to pay 1500 for their subscription
You are right. But these days Amazon doesn't have such contents in their OTT platform, so subscription for me to Amazon Prime only for watching cricket.. Is some what mismatch.

On the other hand , for me Cable TV gives more options to watch.

Back
Top Bottom