Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,459
  • Views Views: Views 1,675,140

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
You are right. But these days Amazon doesn't have such contents in their OTT platform, so subscription for me to Amazon Prime only for watching cricket.. Is some what mismatch.

On the other hand , for me Cable TV gives more options to watch.
Remember back in the 1990's DD Sports would telecast Cricket for free then ESPN Star launched Pay Channels with Cricket that started the Pay channel era there were other channels like MTV but honestly if ESPN Star had not put Cricket on pay tv all the people would not have started paying for TV channels(each channel separately) now it is common.

Now same thing Amazon doing asking people to pay for OTT only by putting India match on OTT. This will make people change to OTT's slowly but surely

I know but Amazon in paying the bucks with the hope people will buy the subscription to watch matches so nothing wrong with them not sharing the matches with others

Court said to share with DD Sports1.0 so that the poor people can watch. If you are the middle class who spend 300-400pm (3000+ / yr) for DTH or cable nothing wrong with Amazon expecting you to pay 1500 for their subscription

Remember back in the 1990's DD Sports would telecast Cricket for free then ESPN Star launched Pay Channels with Cricket that started the Pay channel era there were other channels like MTV but honestly if ESPN Star had not put Cricket on pay tv all the people would not have started paying for TV channels(each channel separately) now it is common.

Now same thing Amazon doing asking people to pay for OTT only by putting India match on OTT. This will make people change to OTT's slowly but surely
What if I am middle class who doesn't have enough to pay for internet a internet connect to stream lectures leave alone cricket? What does SC have for me?

What if I am middle class who doesn't have enough to pay for internet a internet connect to stream lectures leave alone cricket? What does SC have for me?
For the poor people it is shown on DD Sports1.0 terrestrial. Also like I said when ESPN launched sports channel as pay channel with cricket then people even poor people who previously watched matches in DD started paying for pay channels on cable and started taking cable channels

Digital is the only way forward. With broadband getting affordable and reaching Tier II & III cities in next 5-7 years, OTT will competely takeover linear television. Middle class is totally adapting the OTT culture. I know so many people who have smart television but don't have a DTH or a cable connection. Smart TVs are already very affordable and its just a matter of time when broadband reaches every home.

i want to watch religional channels and also cricket matches. If i go with DD free dish, then i can't watch my fav. channels.
If i go with pvt dth, then i won't get DD sports 1.0
What the option i have,
Do you want to buy smart tv (50K plus) and internet connection (12k per year) , just to watch Ind - nz series?

Digital is the only way forward. With broadband getting affordable and reaching Tier II & III cities in next 5-7 years, OTT will competely takeover linear television. Middle class is totally adapting the OTT culture. I know so many people who have smart television but don't have a DTH or a cable connection. Smart TVs are already very affordable and its just a matter of time when broadband reaches every home.
Yes, that is the exactly case. Most people prefers Jio Fiber's basic package over cable/DTH.

Broadband In rural areas is not only about reach... The network is not consistent frequent disconnections, less maintenance etc.,
And broadband companies don't offer or expand their services without minimum subscriber base...
Dth doesn't have this issues...
Atleast for a decade or two...
Dth and cable will stay and OTT Will expand..
But it is not going to be the only source of entertainment..
OTT stays along with dth, cable...
After that one or two decades time will tell what's going to happen..
In USA it is different people opting ott because cable packages are very expensive their...
So, OTT looks like cheaper for them
But in India it is different...
Dth and cable are still cheap and OTTs are struggling with lower arpu in India so, they are not going decrease their pricing further..
One more thing in dth, cable we don't need to commit for an entire year...for one or two movies... Even we can opt a channel for one day also...
And, lot more disadvantages to mention..
The OTTs have only few advantages..
1. Like we can watch anywhere.. Some DTH offering that..
2. More Content... ( problem is most of them is adult content which is killing experience of watching TV with family)
3. No adverts ( but this not going happen very long some day or other advertising will be there in OTT..)
4. New trend... ( people generally love to use new things) but end of the day they want comfort...
So, again they will use their old dth remote and watch a movie with family..
If OTTs really want to replace live tv... They need to release censored versions of all their content.. Because they have lot to show they are not utilising it...
Some people are saying Genz will ditch cable and all..
But, GenZ also grow and have families they want to watch with them
I don't know why OTTs not doing this...
For example, if we want watch match in hotstar, generally cricket in India is a celebration... People watch with their families...
In star sports we can watch happily the advertisements are not that inconvenient.. But Hotstar Showing Promos Of House Of The Dragon... 😂
Very interesting promos... People love political games and war... But can we watch the show with the family.., 🥲
So in my opinion dth and cable will stay along with ott... Until and unless OTTs starts releasing censored versions of their shows..

I guess you are not enough "middle class".
Stay off the internet and do your studies and get educated first. Then 6G will come within your pocket. Else, do some side jobs, may be tutor some guys/ girls which will enable you get "faster" internet!

Broadband In rural areas is not only about reach... The network is not consistent frequent disconnections, less maintenance etc.,
And broadband companies don't offer or expand their services without minimum subscriber base...
Dth doesn't have this issues...
Atleast for a decade or two...
Dth and cable will stay and OTT Will expand..
But it is not going to be the only source of entertainment..
OTT stays along with dth, cable...
After that one or two decades time will tell what's going to happen..
In USA it is different people opting ott because cable packages are very expensive their...
So, OTT looks like cheaper for them
But in India it is different...
Dth and cable are still cheap and OTTs are struggling with lower arpu in India so, they are not going decrease their pricing further..
One more thing in dth, cable we don't need to commit for an entire year...for one or two movies... Even we can opt a channel for one day also...
And, lot more disadvantages to mention..
The OTTs have only few advantages..
1. Like we can watch anywhere.. Some DTH offering that..
2. More Content... ( problem is most of them is adult content which is killing experience of watching TV with family)
3. No adverts ( but this not going happen very long some day or other advertising will be there in OTT..)
4. New trend... ( people generally love to use new things) but end of the day they want comfort...
So, again they will use their old dth remote and watch a movie with family..
If OTTs really want to replace live tv... They need to release censored versions of all their content.. Because they have lot to show they are not utilising it...
Some people are saying Genz will ditch cable and all..
But, GenZ also grow and have families they want to watch with them
I don't know why OTTs not doing this...
For example, if we want watch match in hotstar, generally cricket in India is a celebration... People watch with their families...
In star sports we can watch happily the advertisements are not that inconvenient.. But Hotstar Showing Promos Of House Of The Dragon... 😂
Very interesting promos... People love political games and war... But can we watch the show with the family.., 🥲
So in my opinion dth and cable will stay along with ott... Until and unless OTTs starts releasing censored versions of their shows..
TV service (DTH) might available from 5G towers (FWA) by 2025 or 2026 along with Satellites.

Back
Top Bottom