Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,442
  • Views Views: Views 1,672,209

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
PB/MIB working on more trouble guidelines for Private broadcasters, first of all broadcaster struggling to recover Rights acquisition cost and Ads for Non Cricket events. If New guidelines made implementation then Non Cricket sports events like football, Tennis blackouts without airing.

Even if Private broadcasters airing on their OTTs without television broadcasting too everywhere DD Sports available to air national importance Sports events.

It is not new guideline. It is there since 5 yrs. Demand is to remove this.
yes but before it was only 1 lakh now its increased to nearly 5 crore for live event Broadcast .

edit - was little confused with lots of new rules by MIB.

Last edited:
It is not new guideline. It is there since 5 yrs. Demand is to remove this.
yes but before it was only 1 lakh now its increased to 5 lakhs for live event Broadcast .
I think now it's 4-5 crores per sporting event for broadcaster.

The processing fee results in an outflow of at least Rs 4-5 crore per sporting event for a network.

The processing fee results in an outflow of at least Rs 4-5 crore per sporting event for a network.
sorry i mean crore instead of Lakh.

As per Court orders, DD sports will available without encryption on all dth in future, otherwise Dish tv goes to court again.

Wrong. Subscribers of Private DTH / Cable TV Platforms/Operators won't get access to matches on DD Sports for all such events whose rights r held by Star Sports, Sony Sports, Viacom18 or any other Pay TV broadcasters.

The order given of honorable court which stated that DD Sports should be made available in Unencrypted Manner across all platforms was based on objections raised by Dish TV / Siti Cable which cited that as per Cable TV Regulations Act 1995 any broadcaster cannot sign an agreement with a company and provide concerned content exclusively on a particular platform. As Prasar Bharti has entered special arrangement with Amazon Prime Video to make series available via DD Sports only on DD Free Dish , same was said to b in violation of the above stated Act.

When a Pay TV broadcaster has acquired rights , it provides the said event via its channels to all platforms....for example Star Sports 1 is airing a match then same is made available across Private DTH and Cable TV Platforms without any bias or discrimination or say an event is available on Star Sports First which is available across private DTH/Cable TV platforms as well as DD Free Dish then Star Sports cannot block the feed on any of these platforms.

When a Pay TV broadcaster is sharing the feed of a sports event with Doordarshan, it is doing so in adherence to Sports Act. Here DD has not entered any exclusivity agreement with anyone to just provide the event on DD Free Dish.

Current India Vs New Zealand series is almost over so Amazon won't resort to any legal recourse over this matter nor will it cancel ongoing agreement with Doordarshan which may again create some legal issue.

In the future if any OTT platform holds exclusive rights of an event then neither Doordarshan or that OTT platform will enter such exclusivity agreements which make the event available on just DD Free Dish. If there is a TV blackout faced then there is a possibility that government will undertake some steps thereby making it mandatory for even OTT platforms to share feed of sports events which fall under the Sports Act with Doordarshan . There is also a possibility that government may bring in some advisory or even a law wherein if OTT platforms acquire some sporting rights which fall under National Importance category then they should work out an agreement with some broadcaster to make it available across all platforms

Last edited:
I can understand Indian cricket matches but India are not even playing football then why is DD Sports broadcasting the FIFA WC from QF onwards how is it of national importance when your nation is not even in the tournament?
Same way Euro Cup and Wimbledon are national importance events.

yes but before it was only 1 crore now its increased to 5 crore for live event Broadcast .
It is 4-5 crore since 5 yrs. From where you got 1 cr figure? 1 lac per day is processing fee that too is since 5 yrs.
Pre-NTO they were too happy to pay to govt. Now they feeling the pinch due to post-NTO scenario & expensive media rights.
My question is if govt removes fee, will they reduce channel price? No.Never. Instead they will bid more aggressively 😄

sorry i mean crore instead of Lakh.

So from tommorow just because 2 matches at same time now mtv sd and mtv hd both will show fifa world cup matches

Now it's interesting to see will sports18 sd fixture matches live on mtv sd or sports18 hd fixture matches live on mtv sd but one thing is good from tommorow people can watch in mtv sd channel also with hindi commentary

1svHLRd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom