Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah - News, Updates & Discussions

We use to watch and love Star Plus and Star One when they offered something different like Karishma Kaa Karishma, Shakalaka Boom Boom, Son Pari, Kaun Banega Crorepati, Khichdi, Prithiviraj Chauhan, Mum Tum aur Hum, The Laughter Channel, Ghost bana dost etc. They even had a Lonely Planet type show airing at Sunday noon along with comedy movies. Rebranding ruined it for us. We never watched that channel ever again. But we still remember most shows as these ended when it were great. Not stretched or overused like the current shows.

Sab TV, Zee TV or Star wouldn't have mattered. Taarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashma was always gonna succeed. Channel wouldn't have mattered as the comic strips itself were very successful. It was how well it was executed. That would've mattered. Makers took too much effort to invest in a studio and perfectly casting those actors. Just see how much audience misses old Hathi and Sodhi. IMO if Taarak Mehta was with other network. It would've ended. But being at top. Not with stretched plot. It has become like The Simpsons. Everything that can be done with the show is already done.

There was another Taarak Mehta type show called RK Laxman ki Duniya. Mind you RK Laxman is more popular and succesful than Taarak Mehta. It didn't succeed because of poor execution. It looked like recycled Mrs. Tendulkar.

i guess you were right about channel one & execution of show and selection of actors , just found rare very older article even sony tv along with star plus and zee tv rejected it.. then after some tiime, may be head might have changed , after sony tv acquired sab tv the ceo np singh called Asit asked him to make a comedy series for sab tv channel then he told him about tmkoc then he went ahead with it.

only one thing they are still few tracks left which they could experiment and show in tmkoc

yes Rk laxman is still really very popular , is still popular his original show's new season wagle ki duniya i loved it & original season rocks - i'm searching for original series season 2 episodes not available online , and his cartoons strip are evergreen still relevant to todays and his serials are relatable to this day. even Lapataganj was popular , though sadly its second season was not upto the mark they ended the show quickly.

I guess during 2k episode might not wished to mention about getting rejected by sab tv owner channel in the article , i found he older article by random .

I only mentioned the thing was it was sad to see both star plus and zee which earlier had comedy shows atleast one of the programmings to totally abandoned it for long for saas bahu shows , including sony tv now ( though they do make sensical shows compared top other two still- didnt expect even rejected it first though later changed decision for their other channel ) .

even if star plus would have aired star one serial in star plus channel itself it wouldn't have felt that bad along with their old drama shows which they even earlier used to air . still star one wasnt that bad, but star plus lost its old charm of complete channel.

There was another Taarak Mehta type show called RK Laxman ki Duniya. Mind you RK Laxman is more popular and succesful than Taarak Mehta. It didn't succeed because of poor execution. It looked like recycled Mrs. Tendulkar.
This was the show that first got me interested in Sony Sab in the first place because of the name R.K. Laxman. Only when it shut down did I start watching TMKOC. I’d say it was a recycled TMKOC. Pretty much everything was lifted from TMKOC, and characters such as Sundarlal were tweaked only a little bit. The Jetha-Babita Romance was converted into a love triangle. Ultimately there is no doubt why RKLKD could not succeed. It did not offer anything unique despite having the name of a famous cartoonist, which turned out to be a gimmick.

I don’t know about Mrs Tendulkar so cannot comment.

Last edited:
due to pressure from their other saas bahu serial who would have feared its dominance might affect their trp.
disagree on this statement.

TMKOC started in 2008, but Asit Modi was planning for it for very long time. Late actor Jatin Kanakia suggested to make this show, and he wanted to play role of Jethalal, but he died in 1999. This TRP game not started at that time.

disagree on this statement.

TMKOC started in 2008, but Asit Modi was planning for it for very long time. Late actor Jatin Kanakia suggested to make this show, and he wanted to play role of Jethalal, but he died in 1999. This TRP game not started at that time.
lets agree to disagree regarding TRP- during that time as far as know there surely was trp rating system but not of barc as it was nit firmed at thatt time i checked yet at that time TAM or some other used to give ratings - barc was later formed. i didnt knew about trp but knew about existence of trp at that time as i read about it in several articles thats why mentioned that - due to it it was possible they would have stopped tmkoc quickly if it would have ran in ither channel though it would have been in top .

trp was bigger issue then as well may be not that big , but it was important nonethless as that time 34% (approx) revenue was decided through ads shown in tv according to some news, ads money was decided based on trp points which each channel got - in between 2008 there was actors strike - i member because they mentimed same disclaimer in all hindi gec and was in news during that time . (for aprrox 30 days) .
sab tv started showing only comedy show - they managed to get much better trp at 2008 compared to other gec which was rerunning family saas bahu show - still other gec ended up getting less trp . then sab tv decided to only focus on comedy shows.

I respect your views , frankly i didn't knew about the actor giving idea for starting the show , i only mentioned what i read in few articles older ones. if its true i'm really greatful to Jatin kanakia sir for giving idea for tmkoc and all fans would be. its really sad he isn't alive - i watched his few old comedy drama show there his acting skills were really great . may be if he would have platyed jethalal it would have been like different jethalal vibe that would have been nice too- would have given shriman /shrimati type vibe f.. for now jethalal character without dilip joshi is unimagineable and feels like only for Dilip sir, even jatin sir might have supported dilip for jethalal if he would have been alive now .

TV industry is all about luck all shows in starting have potential but it really matter how impactful your show is shows like Kumkum Bhagya are still running but shows like Airlines and Everest drastically fall apart. Thank God fan still loves TMKOC and are watching it but SAB TV now it's time to pull show off air.

TV industry is all about luck all shows in starting have potential but it really matter how impactful your show is shows like Kumkum Bhagya are still running but shows like Airlines and Everest drastically fall apart. Thank God fan still loves TMKOC and are watching it but SAB TV now it's time to pull show off air.
It's a great show and still is, what replacement of TMKOC you can think of that exits today? It's actually incredible that how authors are making new and good stories even now (although overstretched) without any major or even minor leaps, twists like the longest running hindi show yeh rishta kya kehlata hai. SAB TV gets a least half of viewership just because of that one show it would be a disaster for them to kill it.

Wagle Ki Duniya - Nayi Peedhi Naye Kisse on Sony SAB is one of my favourite shows on TV. They could easily give it more rerun slots instead of the Sunday midnight slot. The reruns of TMKOC in the afternoon slots are all from episode 400-1500 only. It is getting boring with the Khushi arc and GPL being rerun every three weeks. Yet to see 2019 and later reruns, and reruns before 2010 are too low.

I think TMKOC should have some definitive full circle ending. So, Popatlal getting married, everybody is happy, and the kids are all grown up and doing well. I think this won't happen before 2023 at least and still they'll do it as some 15th anniversary, 4000 episodes BS event.

And i think they should end show now ...... quality of show is really really worst......its better if they telecast old episodes (upto 1000) instead of mew ones in prime slot
The old episodes are good... But they still get awfully boring. Do away with the show.

They should revamp show... give entry to new characters.. any new family .. if daya is not there any good female character who can do good comedy .. now its bore to see same “mahila mandal” talks
Even they can have some episodes/ tracks on past life of existing characters.. it will interesting to see how was Bhide’s past who always talks “hamare zamane mein” .. how was jethalal’s childhood..
tapu sena is no more kids... good if they have shown brothers/sisters of tapu sena ... all the gokuldham families have only one kid🤔 or some have no kids mehta-anjali/iyer-babita
Recent track is now much more overstretched kala kauva/ party sharty in rang tarang resort

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock