Tatasky Remote

Philips technical support was aweful. No help from them, apart from suggesting a paid technician visit to check the problem, as the TV is out of warranty period.
I had online chat with TS and they will send a technician today. They asked me and guided for unpairing the remote from TV. But the unpairing didnt work ( LED did not blink etc ). So the technician will look into the problem. The visit will be free but he said I may have to pay for the remote, if needed to be changed.
He said there is no warranty for manufacturing defects...I am a South Mega HD annual pack customer..any suggestions? Remote is supplied with HD box 7 months ago.

Since when are you facing this problem? Has it developed recently? Did the TV not use to switch off by pressing Guide or Info before?

I don't think unpairing would work as you are saying that even the normal remote Guide button is switching off your TV.

The odd thing is all Philips TVs should have same IR frequencies, so the problem should have been there on your other TV as well, but you are saying that is not the case.

Can you try to use the TV remote Power button on your STB and see if it brings up the Guide screen (hold the TV remote close to the STB so that it does not send signal to the TV)?

From the info you have provided, I would say the problem is with your TV. Both Guide and Info buttons on TS remote emit different IR frequencies. They can't be both identical to your TV Power IR frequency.

The problem has been there since some time..since we have 2 connections and mostly the tv in discussion is viewed by parents, the guide button wasnt in much use. I did notice it once when the new HD STB was installed but did not give a serious thought. Now since my son watches more and uses guide a lot, he is irritated.
The TV power button does not activate the guide menu, when focussed at STB.
Yes, I totally agree that its surprising that how come both guide and info button IR frequencies can match the single IR frequency of power off button of TV remote.
Both my HD STB remotes ( universal and non universal ) have the same effect on that Philips TV. The TV is 2010 model and the HD STBs are of 2011 make. I dunno on whom the blame should be pinned, though I guess it should be on TS.
The technician came and in a moment of listening to the problem, he told, some other customers with same Philips LCD model have this problem and it cant be solved. He called his superiors and they also confirmed this.
Exchange of STB or remote will not help is the final conclusion and they have asked me to live with this problem !!!

pochisur said:
The technician came and in a moment of listening to the problem, he told, some other customers with same Philips LCD model have this problem and it cant be solved. He called his superiors and they also confirmed this.
Exchange of STB or remote will not help is the final conclusion and they have asked me to live with this problem !!!

If TS STB/remote is not compatible with some Philips LCD models, then problem seems to be with TS STB/remote.

pochisur said:
He said there is no warranty for manufacturing defects...I am a South Mega HD annual pack customer..any suggestions? Remote is supplied with HD box 7 months ago.

Does that mean even if there is some manufacturing defect in TS STB/remote, TS will not replace it for free even if its under warranty????:huh

NinadG said:
If TS STB/remote is not compatible with some Philips LCD models, then problem seems to be with TS STB/remote.

It is difficult to prove whose problem as both are using same IR frequency. If you contact TS they will say that their remote is working fine with their STB so there is no problem from their side on the other hand if you contact philips they will say their remote is working fine with their TV so no problem with their hardware. So ultimately the consumer will bounce back and forth. So the only solution seems to be is to live with the problem and block IR sensor of TV so that it cannot detect the TS remote command.

NinadG said:
Does that mean even if there is some manufacturing defect in TS STB/remote, TS will not replace it for free even if its under warranty????:huh

The warranty would cover functionality of the STB and remote. It would not cover compatibility with other manufacturer's brand. In this case it is difficult to prove which manufacturer is having the compatibility problem as other Philips TVs work fine and issue is with only one particular model. In any case it appears to be a design problem and replacement STB / remote of TS will have identical problem.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock