Breaking TRAI Suggestive Package of 100 SD channels from Rs.184

• Thread starter Thread starter Ashok Varma
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 324
  • Views Views: Views 62,450
15% Discount Cap is game changer in pricing of Alacarte Channels. I hope Supreme Court will grant TRAI to implement this rule then Alacarte Channels Prices will be further reduced.

Right now, all Broadcasters priced their popular channels at Rs.19 and offering discounts 30% to 50% on bouquets.

We, Costumers once again being forced to take bouquets rather than picking channels of our own to lessen the monthly cost.

So, all the users who are unnecessarily blaming TRAI for increasing their monthly bill i suggest you to wait till 15%Discount Cap is implemented then you can see the real intention of TRAI (benefitting customers)

Last edited:
It looks like we have to pay Rs 130 for only FTA channels and if we include any other paid channels in those 100 channels then we need to pay that channel price extra, basically we have to pay Rs 130 + gst for crap FTA channels.

Don't waste 100 chs limit on fta if you don't want because if you do then your ncf will rise at a slab of max RS 20+GST, so you will pay more. First decide how many pay ch you want then pay ncf accordingly. Then fill extra vacant slot with fta

If dpo can make pack under 400 by combining multiple chs which individually cost 40 each then under new regime they should be able to make make under 200 by combining all those ch as price of each ch is half of earlier 40. What's preventing them ?

Moreover you are only presenting one side of story. Look at d2h or ts. All hd chs will cost you 800.

Regarding max price of pay ch, it is already RS 15 under current regime which dpo like Airtel selling at RS 40 or ts selling at 75 like for sports. So I am not sure how you get that RS 3 limit for pay ch.
Under the current structure in TS for less than 750 per month we have all SD and HD channels of English, Hindi, and 2 regional languages. This includes Sports, News, Movies, GEC, Infotainment, and others. All new HD channels are automatically added for the aforementioned languages.

In the upcoming TRAI structure, it seems very unlikely that so many channels will be available at this cost or lesser.

I may watch a channel once a week or once a month, but I want to keep it in my pack. TRAI cannot say that a person or a household needs only 50 channels. Another weird approach is the 25 DD channels which everyone has to take, wonder who will watch so many DD channels. It needs to be seen how many urban households are satisfied with 100 FTA channels which will include 25 DD.

A better approach will be to have the upcoming packs alongside the existing packs. Over time it will be clear which is more preferred by the consumers.

Under the current structure in TS for less than 750 per month we have all SD and HD channels of English, Hindi, and 2 regional languages. This includes Sports, News, Movies, GEC, Infotainment, and others. All new HD channels are automatically added for the aforementioned languages.

In the upcoming TRAI structure, it seems very unlikely that so many channels will be available at this cost or lesser.

I may watch a channel once a week or once a month, but I want to keep it in my pack. TRAI cannot say that a person or a household needs only 50 channels. Another weird approach is the 25 DD channels which everyone has to take, wonder who will watch so many DD channels. It needs to be seen how many urban households are satisfied with 100 FTA channels which will include 25 DD.

A better approach will be to have the upcoming packs alongside the existing packs. Over time it will be clear which is more preferred by the consumers.
No one is stopping DPO's from providing the existing packs, but the point is will they provide them any longer, since the packs they provide now are a result of a fixed deal agreement signed confidentially by the broadcasters and DPO's, now with a single tariff agreement that the broadcasters are required to sign, DPO's, that too with the prices open in public, DPO's would leave it to the customers, blaming TRAI in the process.

Back
Top Bottom