Breaking TRAI Suggestive Package of 100 SD channels from Rs.184

You can find it here: Page 11, Clause 7
https://www.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/Tariff_Order_English_3 March_2017.pdf
"Within the distribution network capacity subscribed, in addition to channels notified by Central Government to be mandatorily provided to all the subscribers, a subscriber shall be free to choose any free-to-air channel(s), pay channel(s), or bouquet(s) of channels offered by the broadcaster(s) or bouquet(s) of channels offered by distributors of television channels or a combination thereof:
Provided that if a subscriber opts for pay channels or bouquet of pay channels, he shall be liable to pay an amount equal to sum of distributor retail price(s) for such channel(s) and bouquets in addition to network capacity fee."
Where is it saying a subscriber can pick & chose what he wants in the 100 FTA channel pack of Rs 130?
If a subscriber opts for pay / bouquet of pay channels, he is liable to pay for such channels along with the network capacity fee.

Rs 130 is like your olden days telephone rental. Whether you use it or not, you pay the rent (minimum rental for 100FTA channels given by your operator). If you make any calls (i.e., add additional FTA channels {local call - less charge/network fee only} or Paid channels {STD - higher charge / broadcaster fee + network fee} ), you pay for it additionally!

Last edited:
Where is it saying a subscriber can pick & chose what he wants in the 100 FTA channel pack of Rs 130?
If a subscriber opts for pay / bouquet of pay channels, he is liable to pay for such channels along with the network capacity fee.

Rs 130 is like your olden days telephone rental. Whether you use it or not, you pay the rent (minimum rental for 100FTA channels given by your operator). If you make any calls (i.e., add additional FTA channels {local call - less charge/network fee only} or Paid channels {STD - higher charge / broadcaster fee + network fee} ), you pay for it additionally!
I am confused about making HD video calls. I am not getting the point of 2 SD channels = 1 HD channels.

Consumer is free to choose 74 channels (FTA or Pay) within the 130 rupees basic pack. If one chooses pay channels in the 74, he/she needs to pay the DRP of each pay channel choosen in addition to the NCF of 130. Consumer can choose pay channel bouquets also within the same 74 if it's beneficial than al-a-carte. If any DPO isn't allowing consumers to do this, they can contact TRAI.

Consumer is free to choose 74 channels (FTA or Pay) within the 130 rupees basic pack. If one chooses pay channels in the 74, he/she needs to pay the DRP of each pay channel choosen in addition to the NCF of 130. Consumer can choose pay channel bouquets also within the same 74 if it's beneficial than al-a-carte. If any DPO isn't allowing consumers to do this, they can contact TRAI.
I tried to go through the order briefly. It is not clearly stated that a subscriber can add 74 alacarte SD channels of his choice (paid or FTA) and just pay 130rs per month as a basic pack. Copy/pasting a reference from the document where it says, it was proposed (and no reference to its acceptance - atleast I could not find it).
'It was also proposed that within the capacity of 100 SD channels, in addition to channels mandatorily provided to subscribers as notified by the Central Government, a subscriber would be free to choose any free-to-air channel, pay channel, premium channel or bouquet of channels offered by the broadcasters or bouquet of channels offered by the distributor of television channels.'

Coming to my requirement: 74 SD channels are more than adequate to cover what we want at our home. So, my current rental of ~300 will be almost half going forward as per your clarification. But I strongly doubt it. I suspect the 100FTA channel pack will be distributor defined (which may / may not include paid channels - differentiating factor for providers) and not individually configurable by subscribers.

Anyways, lets wait & watch - its just a few days away now!!

How to contact TRAI?

Last edited:
MY OPINION
There are one confusion that is why TRAI impose Rs. 130/- (+ GST) for every customer only for FTA channels.
a huge lose for Base pack 99/- users. now they have to pay Rs. 154/- (GST Insclusive) for FTA channels.
other side if we install Free dish then we get more then 100 channels in Free of cost
and we have to pay nothing for FTA channels.

MY OPINION
There are one confusion that is why TRAI impose Rs. 130/- (+ GST) for every customer only for FTA channels.
a huge lose for Base pack 99/- users. now they have to pay Rs. 154/- (GST Insclusive) for FTA channels.
other side if we install Free dish then we get more then 100 channels in Free of cost
and we have to pay nothing for FTA channels.
It’s a network access charge for 100 channels not fta channels cost

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock