Discussion Whether Star is planning to sell Vijay TV?

• Thread starter Nithish
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 71
  • Views: Views 11,143
As per current speculations of sale of Vijay TV, if it's true then I have a small doubt regarding whole network functioning.
What about the dubbed serials of Vijay TV running in other channels of Star?
Licensing is crucial role in company/channel business, all these part of SIPL now. they can't sale channel by channel, only possible is if they're Selling whole network, then buyer will get access to all channels and contents.

Buddy just search about Netflix India business model, they r already modifying it to expand subscriber base and coming out with affordable + ad supported plans.

Both TV and Digital will grow and will have strong viewership across varied demographic base.

Young people may be hooked to OTT but they prefer watching TV too. Already Both the mediums r seeing growth, ofcourse with mobile internet being affordable streaming has seen massive growth but on large screen TV holds upper edge and will continue to hold so.

Everything can do well on TV is content is good,,scheduling is good and pricing is affordable. Hybrid TV+OTT bundle plans r prefered by youth too so that they can tune into any medium to watch favourite content as per their convenience.

Also just sometime back even Netflix reported losing many subscribers worldover even though in International Markets still OTT us cheaper than DTH/Cable and as i have stated being dependent on OTT for entertainment has its set of issues.

In India DTH/Cable TV pricing is very affordable and has ability to reach far wider areas while not only for large population broadband + OTT is very costly to afford and above all broadband internet reach remains very less. Even if internet, OTT become affordable and easily accessible still there r lot of hassles in searching / watching content online and TV holds edge if broadcasters cater propeely to audience needs
TV holds edge only for saas bahu enthusiasts and sports audience.

Btw Netflix is trying to expand because they hit saturation point in acquiring premium consumers. IMO the ceiling for affluent demo for a premium service in India is <5 million. Netflix India currently stands at 6M+ subscribers.

We can keep going in circles stating TV will grow side by side but if you take US an an example where Internet is considered as a utility like electricity rather than a luxury expense then you will witness how linear TV is deteriorating QoQ.

Programming plays a huge role in keeping the TV medium alive but in a polarised period like now a vast majority doesn't care about appointment TV unless it's a huge spectacle or sports.

DTH/Cable tv pricing is affordable?

Really? I would've to pay 250rs for just 5 channels I wanted. This is the reason many ppl cut the cord.

Licensing is crucial role in company/channel business, all these part of SIPL now. they can't sale channel by channel, only possible is if they're Selling whole network, then buyer will get access to all channels and contents.
Like many members said above, if Disney plans to make profit by selling each channel individually, the serious problem would be overlap between languages at different genres. So "I" don't think something like this could be happening..

I had conversation with one of the person, this is what he said

Disney is looking for ips and doesnt care about indian shows which has not created any single ips.
So whatever block buster they create in india wont be of any use outside india to create revenue.

The only thing we are looking is astraverse, this could be franchise.
Currently there are no discussion of sale as of now. But talks at lower level about a JV with strategic investment from a major telecom company.
Wait till august 9th, we can get some info.

Like many members said above, if Disney plans to make profit by selling each channel individually, the serious problem would be overlap between languages at different genres. So "I" don't think something like this could be happening..
Each channel selling like without contents, overall it's looks like dummy channels. problem is major acquired contents licensing bundled original language, dubbing and digital. they're not done separately agreement for television aired digital contents. moreover recently Vijay TV/Asianet and Suvarna parent Company ASCPL Amalgamated with SIPL.

Disney is looking for ips and doesnt care about indian shows which has not created any single ips.
So whatever block buster they create in india wont be of any use outside india to create revenue.

Currently there are no discussion of sale as of now. But talks at lower level about a JV with strategic investment from a major telecom company.
Benedict Cumberbatch Reaction GIF

Airtel?

Between Nowadays Broadcasters like Star, Zee, Sony Produce and Create IPs of TV shows. Coming to movies Disney/ UTV or Fox Star produced lot of solo movies in India without Co production, but other co production and distribution movies earned box office share but movie rights for 10/15 years.

You didn't get point here Disney Acquiring UTV Motion Pictures and Reliance Acquiring stakes in Balaji MP/Telefilms, Both Ronnie Screwvala's UTV and Ekta Kapoor's Balaji created/Produced blockbuster TV Shows and Movies. Even their acquired Co production and distribution movies IPs for long term periods, some acquired movies lifetime, which won't expire any time soon. Same things can't replicate nowadays from Studios in India.

Even Reliance own Viacom18 Studios and Jio Studios most of movies Co production, Co presentation and distribution which expires after Certain 10/15 years. they're investing 2,000 crores on Jio Studios to distribute lot movies with Acquiring Satellite/Digital Rights, still they can't get IPs which Remains with Main Producer/production house.

Last edited:
Is reliance terminated voot app? It’s no longer available anymore. Even the website voot.com redirects to JioCinema.com

Any info about this bro?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock