Discussion Whether Star is planning to sell Vijay TV?

• Thread starter Nithish
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 71
  • Views: Views 11,144
Now atleast i hope after seeing the above charts members will agree with statements i made few months back

Also those saying OTT platform cannot succeed without cricket then MX Player is the clear example wherein it attracts large number of viewers both for free content and its subscription plans.

In India Freemium subscription model is the correct one to adopt. Majority People will not be willing to pay high amount for any content and minute % which does is not enough for a platform to recover cost incurred in producing or acqiiring content . This is why u see now OTT platforms r providing lot of content for free while ads help earn revenue,,even subscription plan costs have been kept low (which further will see downward revision) and ads again get large part of revenue.

In India i am certain Disney will not exit TV business, at most it will search for JV partner for its sports tv channels as these require high investment while recovering the expenses or earning profit is a very difficult task...above all India Cricket sports properties r the ones which get max viewership hence broadcasters have to acquire these rights in order to make the channels successful.

Disney-Stae needs to find a way to balance out investments made on both linear and digital mediums in a way that there is good revenue earned from both mediums. For example i think TV or Digital rights of IPL r both a great investment but for BCCI rights i think TV will still get more viewership than digital. ICC rights may perform well on both mediums but again it also depends on how team India performs at World Cup or other tournaments part of the agreement.

I think Disney-Star should bid for just TV rights for BCCI matches while they should also continue TV/Digital rights syndication deal with Fancode for cricket or other sports. They need to relaunch English GEC, Youth Channel airing mix pf music/bollywood and hinfi dubbed hollywood movies/Hindi Dubbed International Shows including K Dramas / Old Channel V and Bindass Shows as well as add fresh content.

On OTT front they need to provide most content including premium ones for free with ad driven revenue model while continuing with premium subscription plans which has less dependency on ads.

TV as a medium has extremely bright future and scope for growth across genres, OTT will also grow but it will not be causing any major churn in TV subscriber base even when broadband has good reach and internet / OTT is affordable. Already there is a fatigue rising among OTT viewers bcoz of various reasons, if TV broadcasters evolve / reinvent and bring good curated content on TV at right pricing then surely channels will get huge ratings and ad revenue
Disney Star will not perform well in future due to shrinking revenues from Linear TV business and might incur huge losses in highly competitive OTT market, So Disney wants to exit Indian market soon due to LOW ARPU as per its CEO Iger statements.

Last edited:
Disney Star will not perform well in future due to shrinking revenues from Linear TV business and might incur huge losses in highly competitive OTT market, So Disney wants to exit Indian market soon due to LOW ARPU as per its CEO Iger statements.

As i have explained If they plan a proper content and investment strategy for both linear and digital mediums then revenues will automatically increase....both platforms have huge scope for growth in India, average ARPU as far as subscription plans is concerned may not be that high but Freemium approach with such high number of viewers will help earn high revenue from ads as well as thru subscription offerings.

Remember in India volume rather than ARPU is what helps scale up earnings particularly in broadcast sector wherein once platforms get good number of subscribers then other revenue streams play a very important role

As i have explained If they plan a proper content and investment strategy for both linear and digital mediums then revenues will automatically increase....both platforms have huge scope for growth in India, average ARPU as far as subscription plans is concerned may not be that high but Freemium approach with such high number of viewers will help earn high revenue from ads as well as thru subscription offerings.

Remember in India volume rather than ARPU is what helps scale up earnings particularly in broadcast sector wherein once platforms get good number of subscribers then other revenue streams play a very important role
Better to merge Hotstar, Zee5 with Sony Liv, So they can certainly increase viewership for their merged OTT ;)

Now atleast i hope after seeing the above charts members will agree with statements i made few months back

Also those saying OTT platform cannot succeed without cricket then MX Player is the clear example wherein it attracts large number of viewers both for free content and its subscription plans.

In India Freemium subscription model is the correct one to adopt. Majority People will not be willing to pay high amount for any content and minute % which does is not enough for a platform to recover cost incurred in producing or acqiiring content . This is why u see now OTT platforms r providing lot of content for free while ads help earn revenue,,even subscription plan costs have been kept low (which further will see downward revision) and ads again get large part of revenue.

In India i am certain Disney will not exit TV business, at most it will search for JV partner for its sports tv channels as these require high investment while recovering the expenses or earning profit is a very difficult task...above all India Cricket sports properties r the ones which get max viewership hence broadcasters have to acquire these rights in order to make the channels successful.

Disney-Stae needs to find a way to balance out investments made on both linear and digital mediums in a way that there is good revenue earned from both mediums. For example i think TV or Digital rights of IPL r both a great investment but for BCCI rights i think TV will still get more viewership than digital. ICC rights may perform well on both mediums but again it also depends on how team India performs at World Cup or other tournaments part of the agreement.

I think Disney-Star should bid for just TV rights for BCCI matches while they should also continue TV/Digital rights syndication deal with Fancode for cricket or other sports. They need to relaunch English GEC, Youth Channel airing mix pf music/bollywood and hinfi dubbed hollywood movies/Hindi Dubbed International Shows including K Dramas / Old Channel V and Bindass Shows as well as add fresh content.

On OTT front they need to provide most content including premium ones for free with ad driven revenue model while continuing with premium subscription plans which has less dependency on ads.

TV as a medium has extremely bright future and scope for growth across genres, OTT will also grow but it will not be causing any major churn in TV subscriber base even when broadband has good reach and internet / OTT is affordable. Already there is a fatigue rising among OTT viewers bcoz of various reasons, if TV broadcasters evolve / reinvent and bring good curated content on TV at right pricing then surely channels will get huge ratings and ad revenue
You're still wrong.

Netflix India made profit even though they're targeting a minuscule target demographic. It's about having a good content library + decent regional originals.

Hindi dubbed of Hollywood movies / International shows / K-Drama won't work on TV.

The target demo for this is probably 15-25 age group. You really think they will do appointment TV viewing while they can get it for free in Telegram or freemium service like MX Player and watch whenever they like?

JioCinema will add K-Drama & Anime to their library in a few months.

TV as a medium will face heavy competition kinda like how 3G got destroyed when Jio came up with 4G VoLTE. Digital will have an accelerated growth very soon if my assumptions are right.

You're still wrong.

Netflix India made profit even though they're targeting a minuscule target demographic. It's about having a good content library + decent regional originals.

Hindi dubbed of Hollywood movies / International shows / K-Drama won't work on TV.

The target demo for this is probably 15-25 age group. You really think they will do appointment TV viewing while they can get it for free in Telegram or freemium service like MX Player and watch whenever they like?

JioCinema will add K-Drama & Anime to their library in a few months.

TV as a medium will face heavy competition kinda like how 3G got destroyed when Jio came up with 4G VoLTE. Digital will have an accelerated growth very soon if my assumptions are right.

Buddy just search about Netflix India business model, they r already modifying it to expand subscriber base and coming out with affordable + ad supported plans.

Both TV and Digital will grow and will have strong viewership across varied demographic base.

Young people may be hooked to OTT but they prefer watching TV too. Already Both the mediums r seeing growth, ofcourse with mobile internet being affordable streaming has seen massive growth but on large screen TV holds upper edge and will continue to hold so.

Everything can do well on TV is content is good,,scheduling is good and pricing is affordable. Hybrid TV+OTT bundle plans r prefered by youth too so that they can tune into any medium to watch favourite content as per their convenience.

Also just sometime back even Netflix reported losing many subscribers worldover even though in International Markets still OTT us cheaper than DTH/Cable and as i have stated being dependent on OTT for entertainment has its set of issues.

In India DTH/Cable TV pricing is very affordable and has ability to reach far wider areas while not only for large population broadband + OTT is very costly to afford and above all broadband internet reach remains very less. Even if internet, OTT become affordable and easily accessible still there r lot of hassles in searching / watching content online and TV holds edge if broadcasters cater propeely to audience needs

Buddy just search about Netflix India business model, they r already modifying it to expand subscriber base and coming out with affordable + ad supported plans.

Both TV and Digital will grow and will have strong viewership across varied demographic base.

Young people may be hooked to OTT but they prefer watching TV too. Already Both the mediums r seeing growth, ofcourse with mobile internet being affordable streaming has seen massive growth but on large screen TV holds upper edge and will continue to hold so.

Everything can do well on TV is content is good,,scheduling is good and pricing is affordable. Hybrid TV+OTT bundle plans r prefered by youth too so that they can tune into any medium to watch favourite content as per their convenience.

Also just sometime back even Netflix reported losing many subscribers worldover even though in International Markets still OTT us cheaper than DTH/Cable and as i have stated being dependent on OTT for entertainment has its set of issues.

In India DTH/Cable TV pricing is very affordable and has ability to reach far wider areas while not only for large population broadband + OTT is very costly to afford and above all broadband internet reach remains very less. Even if internet, OTT become affordable and easily accessible still there r lot of hassles in searching / watching content online and TV holds edge if broadcasters cater propeely to audience needs
Lack of Creativity is a hurdle for making a TV program and huge ads during watching a new movie telecast is another hurdle for TV audience

As per current speculations of sale of Vijay TV, if it's true then I have a small doubt regarding whole network functioning.
What about the dubbed serials of Vijay TV running in other channels of Star?

Hi friends, admins and moderators,

I also posted the same news yesterday. But it was deleted (Reason: Inappropriate thread prefix, thread title, content used.) I used prefix as DDF Exclusive. Kindly tell which prefix i have to use.

Regards,
Rajaraman

It wasn't a DDF Exclusive since you shared the source of the news. If the news was originally found by you, you could have called it DDF Exclusive. Hence we mentioned as inappropriate thread prefix.

The thread title contained the source link which is not a standard practice for sharing source. Source is generally attached on the thread content part.

You copy pasted the whole news article content from the *unreliable* news website. You even copy pasted the author byline, published date, etc. Hence we considered the content as inappropriate.

You had posted the thread under 'General DTH News & Discussions' section. The right section for this news was 'South Indian TV Channels' section.

We considered deleting your thread because of all the above-mentioned issues.

Now that you have reposted the same unreliable source link again, we considered banning you temporarily. Next time please use the Talk to Team section for such moderation related questions, that way even if you post any inappropriate source link you would remain unbanned because the link is viewable only to our forum team.

:D suppose if the news comes true then i'm the one who first posted the news.

What's the benefit of being first poster? Your thread was deleted due to mistakes made in a hurry.

We keep saying this again and again - posting on these forums is not a race. Just post in a good way so the information can be easily understandable. :)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock