Breaking ZEEL and Sony merger approved by ZEEL board; definitive agreements signed

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhinav
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 1,496
  • Views Views: Views 310,247
Status
Not open for further replies.
If English language channels are to be retained, it can be retained under & brand. They have & prive and flix, alongside Sony Pix and Zee cafe. With good investment in these channels and content sharing, they shall prosper. Zee cafe shall be rebranded under & and Sony shall retain Sony branding
Zee cafe is going to shut down within a month of completion of the merger

pFuh13x.jpg

Would love to hear @dino29 bhai’s views on the big merger and its impact on the Hindi movie channel sector. I will be including the merger in my upcoming article on how Star became the king of the Hindi movie genre. As Star and Viacom18 are more aggressive in acquiring movies, the merger between Zee and Sony is greatly beneficial for both as they were going rather slowly until now.

Well, all in all i am happy for both zee and sony. Zee will get much needed expansion in urban viewership and good comedy shows if sony operates the Hindi GEC chs while Sony will get mass popularity daily soaps for Sony Pal. In Hindi Movies genre, Sony will get much needed boost in bollywood library be it mainstream or offbeat while zee will have wide access to dubbed films. My only concern is whether Goldmines Telefilms will continue with them or not as zee has long standing dispute with them, same ways in sports i worry if Sony will face difficulty in getting BCCI or IPL rights bcoz zee has feud with BCCI. Still not sure if this merged entity will further have ties with Viacom18, Warner Discovery, Times Group which will mean very tough competition to star/disney

@Saichaitanya4496 @Abhinav842 @JollyLNB @Basil Bros. Can you tell us if regulatory boards have approved of this merger?
They have 90 days time to conduct mutual diligence and finalise definitive agreements which will be subject to regulatory approvals. Because Zee is a listed company, they will need approvals of the stock exchanges, shareholders, SEBI, and CCI will also be monitoring as two big brands are going to merge.

Zee + Sony deal is exactly the same as Vodafone + Idea deal. Reason for merger is also similar. Will the outcome be the same? Fingers Crossed
A Single OTT should be there. Both Zee5 and Sony LIV should merge together and form a single OTT named Sony Zee, etc.
We will get more content in single OTT of both Zee & Sony Network
Not single ott. 2 ott confirm.sony liv and zee 5 is not change.

Well, all in all i am happy for both zee and sony. Zee will get much needed expansion in urban viewership and good comedy shows if sony operates the Hindi GEC chs while Sony will get mass popularity daily soaps for Sony Pal. In Hindi Movies genre, Sony will get much needed boost in bollywood library be it mainstream or offbeat while zee will have wide access to dubbed films. My only concern is whether Goldmines Telefilms will continue with them or not as zee has long standing dispute with them, same ways in sports i worry if Sony will face difficulty in getting BCCI or IPL rights bcoz zee has feud with BCCI. Still not sure if this merged entity will further have ties with Viacom18, Warner Discovery, Times Group which will mean very tough competition to star/disney
For both worries Sony has majority share in the merger so I think Goldmines and BCCI would not mind plus The Goenkas (owners of Zee) have a good relationship with the incumbent government so there would not be a problem for BCCI atleast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom