Breaking ZEEL and Sony merger approved by ZEEL board; definitive agreements signed

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhinav
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 1,496
  • Views Views: Views 310,062
Status
Not open for further replies.
Later on CME (when it was known as SPNI) acquired this channel and started showing some dubbed programmes and animated shows, alongwith a select range of Bengali movies. There was absolutely no original content on the channel. It was treated like a neglected child. Now it is on the verge of extinction. So the only Bangla channel post merger with CME will be Zee Bangla. Sony AATH will die.
It has potential to be the first regional rerun channel. They have so much content. It can work great. Also taking an FTA approach can help too.
I pointed out in my recent article on Zee Bangla Cinema’s rebrand that there are already some Bengali FTA channels that copy Sony Aath’s programming strategy of animation shows + crime/courtroom shows + some movies. Sony Aath was never going to be a big Zee Bangla/Star Jalsha kind of GEC so it decided to find that niche for itself. It has actually had some decent success since it keeps appearing in the BARC top 5 Bengali channels. Even if it will be killed after the merger, it won’t be in vain as Sony Aath has served its purpose and it is any day better than &TV which truly deserves to die.
Sony Aath mostly serves the purpose of a niche channel with a predefined schedule consisting of certain crime/courtroom shows (CID, Crime Patrol, Adaalat) and children’s animation shows (Gopal Bhar, Nix, Nut Boltu). Meanwhile Enterr10 Bangla and Khushboo Bangla (which have a similar programming template as Sony Aath) have a limited audience, since they are not available on DD Free Dish — which in any case has a very limited presence in West Bengal, compared to its giant popularity in North Indian markets that has led to the tremendous rise of Dangal and Goldmines.

I pointed out in my recent article on Zee Bangla Cinema’s rebrand that there are already some Bengali FTA channels that copy Sony Aath’s programming strategy of animation shows + crime/courtroom shows + some movies. Sony Aath was never going to be a big Zee Bangla/Star Jalsha kind of GEC so it decided to find that niche for itself. It has actually had some decent success since it keeps appearing in the BARC top 5 Bengali channels. Even if it will be killed after the merger, it won’t be in vain as Sony Aath has served its purpose and it is any day better than &TV which truly deserves to die.

Yes exactly sony aath is not a flop channel, it is watched by many kids in weekend

ZEE : these channels should be connected with regional and rural, semi urban audience
Sony : these channels should be for Metro cities only like right now Sony channel are. So, they can keep all English channel under one roof too.
& : The audience which want more than just normal TV which consume more quality content and go for Digital content too. Can bring sports under this category.

According to this article some movie channel may shut down

I Guess Sony Network Will Now Explore More Regional Channels
And
Also Rebrand The Current Sony Marathi And Sony Aath

If It Is Then I Have Some Best Names For Some Regional Channels

Sony Tamizh (Tamil)
Sony Utkal (Odia)
Sony Ahom (Assamese)
Sony Unjvani (Gujarati)
Sony Aakasha (Bengali)
Sony Saradaga (Telugu)
Sony Shreshtha (Kannada)
Sony Swapnna (Marathi)
Sony Mewar (Rajasthani)
its not happening.thats the reason why they merged with zee

As per my opinion they should shutdown extra hindi movies channels like Zee Anmol Cinema, & pictures, Sony Wah, Sony Max 2 etc. And license of this channels should be used to other regional channel where they not present like Odia Movies, Malayalam Movies, Gujarati & Assamese Entertainment channels.
After merging they should keep proper lineup for movie channels as follows

Hindi
1 SD & 1 HD Pay channel for pure bollywood latest movie premiers which we can say premium bollywood movie channel.
1 Pay Channel for Classic/ evergreen bollywood hits
1 SD & 1 HD Pay Channel for dubbed hindi movies (south + hollywood + marathi/Bangla movies dubbed in hindi)
1 FTA Bollywood movies channel
1 FTA Dubbed movies channel
I think 7 hindi movie channels (5 SD + 2HD) are enough. It can reduce no of repeated movies and helps to keep repeat values of movies.

Marathi
1 SD & 1 HD pay movie channel for latest premiers (Premium channel i.e. currently Zee Talkies)
1 SD & 1 HD Movie channel dedicated for dubbed movies (should rebrand Zee Yuva with different name)
1 FTA Movies Channel (Zee Chitamandir is currently there but it should be available for all platforms)

Bangla

Zee Bangla Cinema is there so they should use Aath license to launch HD version of it

Tamil & Telugu

in Tamil

they should make available HD Feed of Zee Thirai on every platform.
Along with current movie channels they should launch 1 Dedicated channel for Dubbed and 1 FTA movies channel in both Tamil & Telugu market.

Which of these channels should be closed?

'Sony-Zee' Network Channels

Hindi GEC
Sony TV
Sony SAB
Sony Pal
Zee TV
& TV
Zee Anmol
Big Magic
Zee Zindagi

Hindi Movies
Sony Max
Sony Max2
Sony Wah
Zee Cinema
Zee Classic
Zee Action
Zee Anmol Cinema
Zee Bollywood
&pictures
&xplor HD

Hindi Music
Zing

English GEC
Zee Café

English Movies
Sony Pix
&flix
&privé HD

Sports
Sony Six
Sony Ten 1
Sony Ten 2
Sony Ten 3
Sony Ten 4

Life Style & Infotainment
Sony BBC Earth
Zee Zest

Kids
Sony YAY!

REGIONAL

Tamil
Zee Tamil
Zee Thirai

Telugu
Zee Telugu
Zee Cinemalu

Kannada
Zee Kannada
Zee Picchar

Malayalam
Zee Keralam

Marathi
Sony Marathi
Zee Marathi
Zee Yuva
Zee Talkies
Zee Chitramandir

Bengali
Sony Aath
Zee Bangla
Zee Bangla Cinema

Bhojpuri
Zee Ganga
Zee Biskope

Odia
Zee Sarthak

Punjabi
Zee Punjabi

Gujarati

Zee has strong footprints in regional market than Sony. So Sony may withdraw their channels from all non hindi languages. It includes Sony Marathi, Sony Aath etc. Sony focus on Sports, English, Infotainment & Kids genre. Thereby Zee plug off all channels from those genres. & brand become irrelevant for many reasons - to meet competition rules, poor performance, existence of more important brands. & Brand shuts down. In Hindi with few shut down of some movie channels both brand will retain. The contents will be transferred from the defunct one to other. This is my assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom