PCM or Dolby Digital ?

ayushlabroo

Reaction score
Hello Guyz,

I recently brought a new SONY BDV E3200 5.1CH Home Theather System for My TataSky HD STB, for enjoying Dobly Surround Sound on HD channels.

But i am little bit confused between Sound Setting option ie. Preferred SPDIF Audio output (connected with optical fibre cable)  PCM or Dobly Digital ? Which one to choose and whats the difference between them ?

Please help me out guyz ???

PCM is purest form of digital sound hence u will notice sudden gain in volume ...but if you want 5.1dolby digital sound you need to select dolby option only then only the sourround theater effect can be experienced
Dolby is a processor that is compatible with 5.1 and above.

But I am not able to control volume using TataSky remote, also surrounding speakers are not working in Dolby Digital. And in PCM I am able to control sound and there's audio output in surround speakers.

ayushlabroo said:
But I am not able to control volume using TataSky remote, also surrounding speakers are not working in Dolby Digital. And in PCM I am able to control sound and there's audio output in surround speakers.

Congratz for buying new 5.1
That was a known bug of tatasky. I also facing the same issue and highlighted to customer care. they said that was a known issue and will fix soon. but I noticed that was one of the oldest bug while checking blogs on this. 

Now I was paired my home theater remote with Tata sky remote and managing the volume levels by pressing univer. key. I think that was the quick and practical solution for now.  Please suggest if you find better.

KrishnaKP said:
Congratz for buying new 5.1
That was a known bug of tatasky. I also facing the same issue and highlighted to customer care. they said that was a known issue and will fix soon. but I noticed that was one of the oldest bug while checking blogs on this. 

Now I was paired my home theater remote with Tata sky remote and managing the volume levels by pressing univer. key. I think that was the quick and practical solution for now.  Please suggest if you find better.

They are not interested in fixing these bugs. Many users keep complaining. They are aware but do not fix! No idea what's the cause.

ayushlabroo said:
Hello Guyz,

I recently brought a new SONY BDV E3200 5.1CH Home Theather System for My TataSky HD STB, for enjoying Dobly Surround Sound on HD channels.

But i am little bit confused between Sound Setting option ie. Preferred SPDIF Audio output (connected with optical fibre cable)  PCM or Dobly Digital ? Which one to choose and whats the difference between them ?

Please help me out guyz ???

Try connecting your HT to TV instead of STB

But I have selected PCM and getting almost same audio as in Dolby Digital, So what you guyz recommend is PCM fine as I am able to hear surround sound also.

Pls give me some more info. Is PCM better then Dolby

ayushlabroo said:
But I have selected PCM and getting almost same audio as in Dolby Digital, So what you guyz recommend is PCM fine as I am able to hear surround sound also.

Dolby is better for Home Theatre. PCM is fine on normal TV Speakers.

ayushlabroo said:

congratulations :clap volume of tru dd sound is adjustable in ht volume control connected through optical cable, channels like ten hd is not tru dd ,you  are able to increase or decrease in tatasky remote,pcm doesn't produce 5:1 but stereosound,

ayushlabroo said:

PCM is uncompressed digital audio and is technically better than Dolby Digital which is a compressed format and loses some audio information. However, because PCM is uncompressed, it takes up more space and optical cable can only carry 2 channel stereo PCM audio whereas it can carry full 5.1 Dolby Digital compressed sound.

HDMI on the other hand has the bandwidth to carry full multichannel PCM audio tracks.

So it all depends on what equipment is connected. If you are using an optical connection, and want 5.1 channel sound, it is better to set the STB to DD. With the PCM setting, you are basically only streaming stereo audio which the HT is then playing back on both the front and surround speakers rather than 5.1 discrete channels available with Dolby Digital.

Coming to an HDMI connection, it is better to use the uncompressed PCM setting provided the STB provides a full 5.1 channel uncompressed PCM output (which frankly I am not sure TS provides). A blu-ray player would provide 5.1 uncompressed PCM audio on HDMI.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock