Can DTH services be merged with local cable networks?

v_srikanth961

Reaction score
While, DTH means Direct to Home, I'm just curious if it is possible to merge DTH and cable networks. May be silly, but just for discussion purpose.

As I understand it, cable operators capture various channels from different satellites using bigger dishes and send them to tv sets in our home via cables be it analog or digital. And yes, we need a set top box to decode digital signals. In DTH, every one has a small satellite dish to received channels from one or more satellites. Even it is possible to give multiple connections from same dish (multi room connections, common antenna for building etc)

Is it technically and practically possible to extend this idea where in a cable operator can receive channels from some DTH operator and transmit them locally using cables? What will be the limitations?

If this is possible, probably DTH operators can increase their reach by tieing up with existing small cable operators to provide better services. May be its also helptul to penetrate areas where signal quality is poor and by establishing the satellite dish in some better place can send out good quality signal to multiple homes.

in our local area, cable opoerators transmiting signals from dish tv, tata sky and sun direct.

Karthik said:
Yes it is possible. But it is illegal.

Pugazhbalaji said:
in our local area, cable opoerators transmiting signals from dish tv, tata sky and sun direct.

Well if the cable operators are doing it wihout an agreement with the DTH operators, then it should be illegal.

BTW, which set top boxes are they using? Individual DTH STBs or they are decoding the channels on their end and transmitting them unencrypted?

Mostly cable operator takes channels from sun direct because they haven't logo on many channels like ten sports,ten action plus,ten cricket,cartoon channels,hindi news channels etc...

Not possible

DTH means direct to home

Why again u need intervention from local cablewala?

Sent from my Connect-2G-2.0

Again corruption will start.

Cablewala will start under reporting of its subscriber base to earn more money.

No food for thought

Sent from my Connect-2G-2.0

I was simply thinking of a scenario where the local cable network (or the wires already laid) can be used for distribution of services while still needing a set top box at the user end. No. of subscribers cannot be forged as each STB will have a smart card.

I'm definitely not in support of letting the cable operators decode the channels and transmit them.

In many areas, we are still at the mercy of what the cable operator provides. Now with digitization on the go, they too have to invest in the necessary hardware for the migration.

If DTH and cable operator can merge

1. DTH operator can get all cable users in an entire area as its subscribers. Lesser maintenance costs.
2. Cable operator who cannot invest much and sustain the competition can atleast be benefitted by this. Better than losing all users because of poor services sooner or later.
3. Customers will get better services. Need not spend money on some cheap stb given by cable operator. Choice of packages etc.

v_srikanth961 said:
I was simply thinking of a scenario where the local cable network (or the wires already laid) can be used for distribution of services while still needing a set top box at the user end. No. of subscribers cannot be forged as each STB will have a smart card.

I'm definitely not in support of letting the cable operators decode the channels and transmit them.

In many areas, we are still at the mercy of what the cable operator provides. Now with digitization on the go, they too have to invest in the necessary hardware for the migration.

If DTH and cable operator can merge

1. DTH operator can get all cable users in an entire area as its subscribers. Lesser maintenance costs.
2. Cable operator who cannot invest much and sustain the competition can atleast be benefitted by this. Better than losing all users because of poor services sooner or later.
3. Customers will get better services. Need not spend money on some cheap stb given by cable operator. Choice of packages etc.

good idea.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock