Can DTH services be merged with local cable networks?

v_srikanth961 said:
I was simply thinking of a scenario where the local cable network (or the wires already laid) can be used for distribution of services while still needing a set top box at the user end. No. of subscribers cannot be forged as each STB will have a smart card.

I'm definitely not in support of letting the cable operators decode the channels and transmit them.

In many areas, we are still at the mercy of what the cable operator provides. Now with digitization on the go, they too have to invest in the necessary hardware for the migration.

If DTH and cable operator can merge

1. DTH operator can get all cable users in an entire area as its subscribers. Lesser maintenance costs.
2. Cable operator who cannot invest much and sustain the competition can atleast be benefitted by this. Better than losing all users because of poor services sooner or later.
3. Customers will get better services. Need not spend money on some cheap stb given by cable operator. Choice of packages etc.

Again same thing will happen, again analog signal and cable operator will not give the correct Subscriber details to DTH. Again TRAI come to play.... and will tell go to Digitalization...

Again Anlog,

I think HITS is answer for above thing.

Recently some news regarding jain hits.

Where lco need to purchase or make investment of some 1lakhs.

Then by installing single dish with single satellite,

And each subscriber gets individual stb to view digital signal coming from lco.

Sent from my Connect-2G-2.0

Will DTH players ever allow such tech which will affect their business, to be in place so easily?
Infact distribution dept of STAR TV has one of the main goal - 'to eliminate cable operators'.

As per the article, only registered cable operators or MSOs can start a HITS company. DTH operators or Broadcasters can hold a maximum of 20% share in a HITS company. Also a HIITS company cannot have more than 20% share in any DTH company.

In its recent recommendations to the government, the Trai says that only a registered cable operator or a registered MSO could operate HITS. To get a HITS licence, the company will need to pay an entry fee of Rs 10 crore (Rs 100 million) and furnish a bank guarantee of Rs 40 crore (Rs 400 million). Broadcasting companies and/or DTH licensees will not be allowed to collectively hold more than 20 per cent of the total paid up equity in a HITS company. Similarly, a HITS licensee should not hold more than 20 per cent equity share in a broadcasting company and/or DTH licensee company. The HITS licensee has to commence uplinking/downlinking operations within a year of receiving spectrum allocation.

It also states Dish TV tried hard for a license but may be denied due to the above restriction.

I think dth is better manged than hits in india.

bcoz customer comes direct contact with company.

intermidiate like lco don't pass all subscriber info to broadcasters or hits operator.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock