DISH TV gets 1 more year for DTH license renewal

shawl_who

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, not really... but Dish TV license is expiring, and they havent renewed... but have managed to get 1 more year to renew their license, otherwise... :gn

=================================================

More than 10 million subscribers of Dish TV have managed to get a reprieve after the Information & Broadcasting Ministry gave the company a breather for one year, after its DTH (Direct to Home) licence was due to expire on October 1.

Dish TV had a 10-year licence to operate the DTH business in the country and the company had been repeatedly knocking on the doors of the I&B ministry to take a decision on the company's licence renewal.

But, in the absence of a policy regarding renewal of DTH licences in the country, the authority decided to grant an extension until a decision is taken on policy renewal.

“Our licence was due to expire on October 1 and we have received a one year extension to renew our licence. Meanwhile, Trai is also expected to come out with a policy on the renewal of licence for DTH providers”, Jawahar Goel, MD of Dish TV told Business Standard.

Last month, Trai had also written to the I&B ministry informing them that the authority will take more time to decide on a policy on the renewal of licences for DTH operators.

“During the interim period, the DTH operator will be allowed to continue their existing services provided they renew their bank guarantee. The DTH provider must also give a suitable undertaking that once the final policy in this regard is laid down, the DTH operator will comply with that policy”, Trai had said in a letter to I&B secretary in September.

The interim grant was awarded as the ministry had only forwarded the request to the Trai in September and Trai has said that it was aware of the request put forward by Dish TV in April this year.

“Surely MIB was aware that the DTH licences would start expiring from 30th September 2014. What is more, we are given to understand that Dish TV has been pursuing the case for renewal of their licences with the ministry since April 2013.

However, MIB chose to refer the matter to Trai only in September 2013 with less than 4 weeks before the first licence is due to expire. MIB knows well that Trai has to follow an exhaustive public consultative process before giving its recommendations.

The time left now is simply insufficient to conduct full recommendation process”, the letter from Trai said.

The union government is currently undertaking digitization across the country and the process is expected to be completed by 2014. Following the process, various measures including a cap on advertisements per hour was also taken and is expected to come into effect from October 1, this year.

====================================================

Dish TV gets one-year extension for DTH licence renewal | Business Standard

RE: DISH TV shutting DTH business ? (gets 1 more year)

As Usual lazy Govt policies

Don't worry nothing will happen. :p

Thread title is mislead,

Dish is not shutting down,

Dish TV applying for renewal, its mib and trai who is not renewal.

Plz change title.

Yes, thread title specially made a little controversial to grab more eyeballs. :p :lol

Just a trick to catch many eyes (making this kind of titles.)
change the title to dishtv renewal.

Nice Informative article, I get many information to this post. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock