Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

It seems they have merged everything under a single leadership for Studios. Bikram Duggal, who was earlier overseeing Disney Studios India, is now leading Star and Disney Studios India. So high profile exits from Fox Star earlier this year is part of Reorganisation. Also in description on the Star website, he will also oversee Fox Star local productions.

Rumors on Disney shutting down star Bharat and internationally rebranding star plus as star Bharat outside India. As star plus would be their own local GEC .
Inorder to avoid confusions between STAR+(streaming) and Star Plus(channel). Disney-Star may shut Star Plus channels in countries where STAR+ launching/outside India. It's a good idea to present 'Star Bharat' or Utsav as a mirrored channel of Indian Star Plus. Till now Disney is moving through right direction.

Rumors on Disney shutting down star Bharat and internationally rebranding star plus as star Bharat outside India. As star plus would be their own local GEC .
if they Shutdown Star Bharat it's good move only for Disney in India, But I don't think they will shutdown Star Bharat, Already many New Serials in Pre production stage and shutting down Star Bharat. Disney/Star will save cost and missing upcoming DD free Dish auction, this Pay channel have own fan base in DD free Dish DTH.

if they Shutdown Star Bharat it's good move only for Disney in India, But I don't think they will shutdown Star Bharat, Already many New Serials in Pre production stage and shutting down Star Bharat. Disney/Star will save cost and missing upcoming DD free Dish auction, this Pay channel have own fan base in DD free Dish DTH.

Yes, i m sure they will b back on Free Dish soon. UTV Movies should also come on Free Dish, SUM can have post 2010 films while UTV Movies can air pre that period films

Yeah! Star goes well with all the genres except Infotainment and Kids as they already have established brands Nat Geo and Disney respectively. Ustav is really good for outside India.

I Don't see any rebranding of Star/ UTV is on the cards. UTV also have a brand legacy. And UTV movies are the first to go on to Hotstar in Indonesia. I know UTV have extended their library deal on Netflix in India. I'm not sure why they aren't adding those in other countries where Hotstar operates. UTV is currently operating as the Buena Vista of India with all the IPs, and distribution handling through UTV motion studios now. From 2019 itself Fox movies like Ford V Ferrari etc have been released in India by UTV instead of Fox Star Studios. There has been some organisational changes under after the merger interms of distribution etc.

Let me clear this thing a little :

In the Asia-Pacific region mainly in Mainland China, Star had four channels in the Mandarin Language - XIng Kong, Weishi Zhongwen Tai (Star Chinese), Weishi Diangyin Tai (Star Chinese Movies), and Star Legend Movies. They had Star Movies, Star World, Star Sports, ESPN, and Channel V too in their portfolio. Later on, they rebranded Star Movies and Star World respectively to Fox Movies Premium and Fox Life. Channel V was rebranded to Fox Taiwan. ESPN and STAR Sports became Fox Sports. The Chinese channels however just ditched the Star Logo except for Xing Kong.

Disney is hell-bent on erasing every instance of FOX around the world post the acquisition of the brand. They changed the names of 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures. It won't be a surprise if they rebranded FOX's assets in the Asia Pacific.

Regarding UTV, Disney totally destroyed the company post its acquisition. Before Disney took majority control of this Ronnie Screwvala company, UTV had 6 channels namely Hungama TV, UTV Bindass, UTV Bindass Movies, UTV World Movies, UTV Movies, UTV Stars, and UTVi. Hungama TV was considered to be their second innings into broadcasting after Star acquired Vijay TV from them. But it was taken over by Disney and that was the beginning of UTV's downfall. They also had Movie studios UTV Motion Pictures and UTV Spotboy. After it lost Hungama TV to Disney, UTV re-entered the broadcasting space with Bindass and Bindass Movies. They then expanded with 4 more channels - UTV World Movies, UTV Movies, UTV Stars, and UTVi - a business news channel.

Although after this third comeback, things did not go smooth as UTV Had planned. UTV soon sold off UTVi to Bloomberg. Rebranded UTV Bindass Movies to UTV Action and UTV Stars as B-Play - a music channel.

But Disney put the last nail on UTV's coffin by acquiring Bindass, and removed the UTV branding from the channel. B-Play got merged into Bindass. UTV was left with just three movie channels and their Film studios. But their woes were not over as Disney soon took the controlling stake of UTV from the Screwvalas and the rest of UTV came into their ambit.

Now UTV is nothing but a sub-brand of the Disney-controlled Star Network in India. UTV exited from the film production business and closed down UTV Spotboy. In spite of having a hit film like Dangal, UTV Motion Pictures downed its shutters. UTV World Movies too closed down. UTV is now existent only in the form of two movie channels - UTV Movies and UTV Action.

So going by what Disney did with UTV in the past, the brand may soon be a piece of History in the Indian Media World. But it will never do the same with Star. Because they know that if they attempted to change Star, their prospects would be hurt.

Sorry for giving such a big lecture over here. But some things needed to be cleared and there's nothing wrong in going elaborate if needed.

It's good Star bharat getting shut down I hope Radha Krishna and savdhaan india shift to star plus

Let me clear this thing a little :

In the Asia-Pacific region mainly in Mainland China, Star had four channels in the Mandarin Language - XIng Kong, Weishi Zhongwen Tai (Star Chinese), Weishi Diangyin Tai (Star Chinese Movies), and Star Legend Movies. They had Star Movies, Star World, Star Sports, ESPN, and Channel V too in their portfolio. Later on, they rebranded Star Movies and Star World respectively to Fox Movies Premium and Fox Life. Channel V was rebranded to Fox Taiwan. ESPN and STAR Sports became Fox Sports. The Chinese channels however just ditched the Star Logo except for Xing Kong.

Disney is hell-bent on erasing every instance of FOX around the world post the acquisition of the brand. They changed the names of 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures. It won't be a surprise if they rebranded FOX's assets in the Asia Pacific.

Regarding UTV, Disney totally destroyed the company post its acquisition. Before Disney took majority control of this Ronnie Screwvala company, UTV had 6 channels namely Hungama TV, UTV Bindass, UTV Bindass Movies, UTV World Movies, UTV Movies, UTV Stars, and UTVi. Hungama TV was considered to be their second innings into broadcasting after Star acquired Vijay TV from them. But it was taken over by Disney and that was the beginning of UTV's downfall. They also had Movie studios UTV Motion Pictures and UTV Spotboy. After it lost Hungama TV to Disney, UTV re-entered the broadcasting space with Bindass and Bindass Movies. They then expanded with 4 more channels - UTV World Movies, UTV Movies, UTV Stars, and UTVi - a business news channel.

Although after this third comeback, things did not go smooth as UTV Had planned. UTV soon sold off UTVi to Bloomberg. Rebranded UTV Bindass Movies to UTV Action and UTV Stars as B-Play - a music channel.

But Disney put the last nail on UTV's coffin by acquiring Bindass, and removed the UTV branding from the channel. B-Play got merged into Bindass. UTV was left with just three movie channels and their Film studios. But their woes were not over as Disney soon took the controlling stake of UTV from the Screwvalas and the rest of UTV came into their ambit.

Now UTV is nothing but a sub-brand of the Disney-controlled Star Network in India. UTV exited from the film production business and closed down UTV Spotboy. In spite of having a hit film like Dangal, UTV Motion Pictures downed its shutters. UTV World Movies too closed down. UTV is now existent only in the form of two movie channels - UTV Movies and UTV Action.

So going by what Disney did with UTV in the past, the brand may soon be a piece of History in the Indian Media World. But it will never do the same with Star. Because they know that if they attempted to change Star, their prospects would be hurt.

Sorry for giving such a big lecture over here. But some things needed to be cleared and there's nothing wrong in going elaborate if needed.

Nothing wrong with what Disney did with UTV, it had fairly small presence in Indian TV universe and had to invest resources yielding revenue. International Cinema channel was anyways a niche genre where profit or break even is not possible, only big companies can continue to run it. Music genre is saturated and internet , availability of free music has made things tougher. About motion pics company, before Dangal UTV under Disney suffered huge setbacks like Fitoor, Khubsoorat and above all much delayed Jagga Jasoos so thereafter they decided to concentrate on just distribution of films .

UTV Movies/Action r good movie chs, had Disney wanted they would easily dropped UTV identity and made them Disney brand chs but they decided to continue an established brand.

About dropping UTV identity from bindass, it was bcoz they wanted bindass to b branding for youth centeric content. Let alone Disney even Zee, Star incorporated &, OK branding so are u saying they were trying to dilute their own established brand value.

Buddy these decisions r taken after lot of thinking, any broadcaster knows which thing is good or bad for overall wellbeing of company

As per my information . Star plus in Europe and Australia will rebrand as star Bharat and air same content as star plus India. The logo will also change similar to new star
Logo as per my imagination

lpk6sac.jpg

Disney Renaming Star Plus, Star Gold to Star Utsav Plus and Star Utsav Gold in Netherland, I hope Star/Disney will not Renaming Star Channels to Utsav in India :LOL:
QqMUjUc.jpg
They are renaming star channel to utsav in netherland just to avoid confusions nd i dont think they will rename star channels in india

Btw when " fox acquisition by disney " news came out in 2017 at that time many ppl assumed that disney will rename star channels with disney word but star brand is such big disney itself renamed their fox assests within star brand in other countries
Another thing is I guess there won't be any change in Star branding. Simply if they call Star Plus and Star Gold its confusing so they are simplifying it by calling the channel Ustav Plus and Ustav Gold with retaining the Star symbol I guess. And I guess it won't be a concern where Hotstar already operates independently in Canada and the US, the UK, and Singapore. Also FOX East Asia (now Disney's) still operates many star branded channels. Asia is familiar with Star branding, so no issues for them. I guess now all Fox branded Sports, GEC'S and movies will be changed to Star and ESPN branding slowly. I guess they will have Star Sports all over Asia and will strengthen ESPN brands in the other parts.
As per my information . Star plus in Europe and Australia will rebrand as star Bharat and air same content as star plus India. The logo will also change similar to new star
Logo as per my imagination

lpk6sac.jpg
I Guess Star Plus Renaming and Rebrand As Utsav Plus, Not Star Bharat in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock