Disney to cut back on TV, sports biz in India

Decided to post in this thread since it is appropriate for this title.
Look this is what i found from pandian stores wikipedia.....it is also remade into punjabi on ptc punjabi nd in odia on tarang tv

@mani_music @JollyLNB @KAR @veer32564 what do u think is there any possibility in future that star india will acquire this 2 channels nd will enter into this 2 markets also
STAR India has many possibilities for Tarang TV in Odia market atleast. They dubbed Nojor and Kironmala of STAR Jalsha. For Punjabi, I see no possibility though. They just bought it.
I agree with @veer32564 bro opinion. Star may acquire Tarang as they have good relations with them because the latter as showcased many Star India shows in odia language. Odia is a growing industry in india which has the potential to grab Star's Attention. Coming to Punjabi, it's unlikely.
Even though Star has clearly said that it does not want to expand into more regional markets in the coming future, if at all there is an independent regional network that *might* be acquired by Star, the best chance is Ortel, the network that runs Tarang and four other Odia channels, as well as a cable network. Maybe Ortel can sell the TV channels to Star and keep the cable and other businesses, exactly like Asianet. Then Star will easily take control of the Odia market, as the only competition is Zee Sarthak (like Bengali), and the other two (Colors Odia and Manjari) are too small.

But all this remains extremely unlikely and I would rather you people don’t discuss any further on this subject. The previous Fox ownership was aggressive and wanted to have a toehold in many markets, but Disney is a much slower giant and it won’t try to undertake a lot of acquisitions.

As for PTC, it is the prized property of the Badal family, along with Fastway, and the Badals will never let go of it. Nor is Star interested in Punjab in any case.

Last edited:

Even though Star has clearly said that it does not want to expand into other regional markets in the coming future, if at all there is an independent regional network that *might* be acquired by Star, the best chance is Ortel, the network that runs Tarang and four other Odia channels, as well as a cable network. Maybe Ortel can sell the TV channels to Star and keep the cable and other businesses, exactly like Asianet.

But all this remains extremely unlikely and I would rather you people don’t discuss any further on this subject. The previous Fox ownership was aggressive and wanted to have a toehold in many markets, but Disney is a much slower giant and it won’t try to undertake a lot of acquisitions.
True, Disney is very slow but eventually Disney will run Star according to the market only. They may not make big acquisition, they may not shell out the money for non core assets but the growth of Star will not stop. It's just the starting phase of Disney to run Star, specially when where Disney hasn't announce a new leader of India's Biggest Media Company. Star will Become more & more big not just in india but in international markets as well where FOX Channels will be rebrand to Star, & ofcourse Star & Star+ Streaming Services.

I would like to add a new line as well:-

Right Now, Disney is totally giving attention over Streaming. They want to break the monopoly of Netflix through their Direct-to-Consumer Streaming Services. That's why they buyed FOX assets. In these 2 Year since acquisition closed I don't think Disney has not focused on Star. They Gave The Resources to them to improve themselves. They have Become "Leaders" in General Entertainment Space, Launched Few Channels, Star Hindi & English Movie Library has been improved, Got the much needed variety in Sports Programming, Launched Disney+ inconjunction with Hotstar. I don't think Disney is ignoring Star anywhere.
@Rajpatil98 @JollyLNB @veer32564 @mani_music

Last edited:

Even though Star has clearly said that it does not want to expand into more regional markets in the coming future, if at all there is an independent regional network that *might* be acquired by Star, the best chance is Ortel, the network that runs Tarang and four other Odia channels, as well as a cable network. Maybe Ortel can sell the TV channels to Star and keep the cable and other businesses, exactly like Asianet. Then Star will easily take control of the Odia market, as the only competition is Zee Sarthak (like Bengali), and the other two (Colors Odia and Manjari) are too small.

As for PTC, it is the prized property of the Badal family, along with Fastway, and the Badals will never let go of PTC. Nor is Star interested in Punjab in any case.
Even if Tarang TV doesn't become a part of STAR, it's fine. Because STAR already has penetration in 7 major languages of India. Atleast by next decade, if TV viewership increases, and Odia market crosses 500 Mn AMA in total of top 5 channels, then STAR may think about it. And you are right about PTC. Both parties are LEAST interested in even partnership, leave alone selling off/acquisition.

@Rajpatil98 @rockky @KAR bro look what I found.
Source

Mahabharat of STAR Plus is dubbed in Odia on Tarang TV from 3rd August.
So it further strengthens our assumptions that Tarang TV may partner with STAR India in future. :surprised:
Yday i checked tarang tv yt page nd found so many star india's shows specially from star jalsha so now there is strong possibilty that star will acquire tarang tv

Disney Renaming Star Plus, Star Gold to Star Utsav Plus and Star Utsav Gold in Netherland, I hope Star/Disney will not Renaming Star Channels to Utsav in India :LOL:
QqMUjUc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock