Breaking Doordarshan closing Analog Transmission

This is really nostalgic for me ! I still remember those days in the 90s when, I used to rotate the antenna on the terrace, and someone from d house wud shout " aa gaye signal/ chale gaye signal" -- " signal came/ signal gone" , and used to set the antenna in d direction of TV tower.

Truly end of an era, but it wud be difficult for many peole to even afford dd freedish.... d upfront cost they ll have to bear wud be around rs. 1000 - 1500.

We have many people still living on 100-200 rs per day income, how will they afford ?

Govt is closing down transmitters to reduce their cost. But freedish is not good solution. Ideal solution would be to bring DTT auction policy just like they do FM radio auctions. Private local/regional/national tv channels should be allowed digital terrestrial transmission along with 2-3 slots reserved for DD channels. If govt cant make new DTT transmitters, it should atleast allow private ones to build by auction process.

Last edited:
Ideal solution would be to bring DDT auction policy just like they do FM radio auctions. Private local/regional/national tv channels should be allowed digital terrestrial transmission along with 2-3 slots reserved for DD channels.

Absolutely! This is working very well in many 'western' countries. I wonder whether local cable operator lobby and DTH operator lobby is creating issues in the deployment of DTT. Then again, government agencies are not known for their quick actions.

Anyway, goodbye old Analog TV days.

Last edited:
This is really nostalgic for me ! I still remember those days in the 90s when, I used to rotate the antenna on the terrace, and someone from d house wud shout " aa gaye signal/ chale gaye signal" -- " signal came/ signal gone" , and used to set the antenna in d direction of TV tower.

Truly end of an era, but it wud be difficult for many peole to even afford dd freedish.... d upfront cost they ll have to bear wud be around rs. 1000 - 1500.

We have many people still living on 100-200 rs per day income, how will they afford ?
Very true, your description regarding antenna setting reminded me of my childhood days. Even though there were just 2 channels, and that too with poor picture quality but those memories and happiness can't be relived, even not with any 4k picture

Govt is closing down transmitters to reduce their cost. But freedish is not good solution. Ideal solution would be to bring DTT auction policy just like they do FM radio auctions. Private local/regional/national tv channels should be allowed digital terrestrial transmission along with 2-3 slots reserved for DD channels. If govt cant make new DTT transmitters, it should atleast allow private ones to build by auction process.
this is what i had scrapped my plan to buy iDTV from samsung.

Also thinking of WHAT is volume of SOLID STB DVB-T2 is going on sale every month.

Govt/doordharshan can initially install hardware and lease to private player for relay of both DD and private channel to bring some awareness and develop market of DTT.

In todays world Liner Tv is costing too much, even DDFD is appox 1k. DTT should come at fraction of cost.

Very less TVs actually support DTT tuner in these times. Lack of interest from Govt and people is the reason behind this. Any idea which TVs are having DTT support inbuilt?

Doordarshan closing analog transmission step by step from various transmitters across India.Viewers are requested to change to DD FREE DISH.This message scrolling on DD channels screen.
where's ur location in Kerala ? there's DVB-T2 transmission from Trivandrum, which is receivable upto 80-90km, using such a Yagi antenna. only small antenna needed for nearby places from the DD Kendra (within 20-30km)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock