DTH's Set Top Boxes Hardware is Interchangeable?

surechim

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a new user of DTH...I was wondering if the Hardware of DTH--Antenna and Set Top box(SD or HD) is interchangeable between the different service providers..
For example,My Qusetion is:
Can We use Tata sky dish and Set top box for, say, Vediocon D2H?

Bsically,since the hardware /initial cost is bit high for DTH,it might be difficult to 'switch' to another DTH Service provider ,even if we get 'better options'...?Is the goverment looking into 'DTH Portability' too like telecom?--using 'uniform'hardware across service providers?---

Thanks in advance for sharing your views/thoughts
GSR

As of now the STB's can only be used with the Provider's connection though Dish and LNB are interusable but those are provided as a package by the operator.

No plan of DTH interoperability

these issue would have been discussed before launching the dth service, but our currupted politician and blood sucking corparate have intentionally put on hold this idea for some years for the profit of STB makers, and their comission . it will not be be brought into TRAI's attention unless public this issue. then as usual TRAI will came to look into this issue, any way TRAI also will get some benifite out of it. By the time as dth subcriber we would have lost some of our hard earnings.

There are technical limitation to the Boxes and also as per commission on DTH STB's the companies are providing STB's to all customers a highly subsidized rates,so that argument doe snot come in the picture.

TRAI has made a few attempts which were blocked on technical terms,by the operators.

Arsh25 said:
There are technical limitation to the Boxes and also as per commission on DTH STB's the companies are providing STB's to all customers a highly subsidized rates,so that argument doe snot come in the picture.

TRAI has made a few attempts which were blocked on technical terms,by the operators.

these technical issue might be created by the dth service provider purposely, actually there are no such technical issue, its just like a mobile where you simply change the sim if you want to move to other operator,

Yeah,then what if a Tatasky subscriber wants to move to Airtel? there is a technical issue of MPEG2 and MPEG4 technology.

Friends its the job of Gov + DTH companies to think about the subscriber and they should give the future safe boxes and we can switch any other dth as & when needed according to services good or bad. Just like mobiles services,I think each and every user has 2,3 boxes at home just lying waste ?

Hi All
Thanks for the lively discussion/answers..
The main issue for end 'Customer' like me is:practically there are few problems switching to a new provider:
I stay in an apartment..each time,I chang the antenna,,I have to provide Rs1000 to apartment association !..More-over,the installation guy has to take permission for 'fixing' the unit,etc..(Security issues)..
Besides this,we need regular follow up with the provider..
If the 'Portability' issue is not resolved...it would be 'seller's market'...and the end consumer/customer will not get the benefit..and the qaulity of the service also will not improve...

But,who is the regulator for this?,..May be we need to write to them collectively??will it help?Please share your thoughts

BR
GSR

surechim said:
Hi All
Thanks for the lively discussion/answers..
The main issue for end 'Customer' like me is:practically there are few problems switching to a new provider:
I stay in an apartment..each time,I chang the antenna,,I have to provide Rs1000 to apartment association !..More-over,the installation guy has to take permission for 'fixing' the unit,etc..(Security issues)..
Besides this,we need regular follow up with the provider..
If the 'Portability' issue is not resolved...it would be 'seller's market'...and the end consumer/customer will not get the benefit..and the qaulity of the service also will not improve...

But,who is the regulator for this?,..May be we need to write to them collectively??will it help?Please share your thoughts

BR
GSR

----------

Yes,I got to know TRAI is the regulator for DTH....

In between..I see Dish is portable..with CAM Module..called 'Dish Freedom'?Is it true?

Refer Link:
Dish TV aims at DTH portability with 'Dish Freedom'

Dish Freedom never came to market, only we have seen it in pictures..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock