Neo’s challenge in 2014 will be to stay relevant as a niche sports broadcaster

Reaction score
Neo’s challenge in 2014 will be to stay relevant as a niche sports broadcaster

MUMBAI: Despite losing two key cricket properties, Neo Sports Broadcast (NSB) is not willing to give up.

The sportscaster is banking on non-cricket properties and cable TV digitisation to help it sail through these turbulent times. NSB, which owns and operates Neo Sports and Neo Prime, is counting on sports like football, hockey, tennis, badminton and golf to help it stay relevant in the ruthless sports broadcasting market.

Neo’s property slate includes Bundesliga, French Open, Davis Cup, Federation Cup, PGA Tour and Sultan Azlan Shah. Its distribution deal with MSM Discovery ensures that it is carried by all cable TV platforms. NSB senior vice president ad revenue Sudip Roy said that the company is expected to end the current fiscal with ad revenues of Rs. 250 million. “Our biggest properties are the French Open tennis Grand Slam and Bundesliga.

They make Rs. 100 million between them. The other properties are smaller. For the next fiscal ended March 2015, we are targeting Rs. 300 million in ad revenue as we are looking to add more events,” asserted Roy.

Digitisation is allowing for fans of niche sports to consume them. Our focus rests on sports like soccer, tennis and golf. Each week, we have over 50 hours of live content. There may not be a huge number of fans for these sports compared to cricket but they are passionate. They also have the propensity to pay for them.

“Advertising will be more led by brand connect and brand association as opposed to TVTs.

Key events that will air across the two Neo channels in 2014 include the Davis Cup and Fed Cup in tennis which will see the channel air eight events annually. These events take place in February, April, September and November. Then there is the French Open tennis Grand Slam, the Bundesliga in soccer, Sultan Azlan Shah Cup and FIBA Basketball. It also has the rights to the US PGA Golf tourney and airs 40 events a year. Tolia said that the sportscaster is also experimenting with local events. “We aired the World Paragliding Championship that took place in Himachal Pradesh.

This was probably the first time that paragliding was shown on a sports channel.

On the marketing front, the focus is more on targeted marketing. “Mass media works as a vehicle for cricket and for high-impact properties.

The question is how they will make money. Obviously, without cricket the revenue scale is not as big. But then costs can be rationalised. I don’t see any harm with Neo experimenting and trying to carving a new brand identity for itself,” he averred.

Read Full Here

Atleast neo would have been agreeing what tata sky was saying to kepp channel on platform

Sent from my HuaweiU8300

Neo Sports, Ten Sports, Sony Six and even DD Sports are billlion times better than money hungry Star Sports if Star sports lose all the rights to any other channels.

It will be very difficult for Neo to come back.They are very back in race.
Also i don't think there much popular sports events right left that Neo could buy

They may not left with popular events...But good to see (an indian co.) at least they have not given up & fighting with giants..

Soon u ll hear shutdown. News
as
one alliance broken
removed dom sd

lost sport right

also not interest in selling to sony or else

Sent from my HuaweiU8300

Yeah soon we will hear the news about NEO Channels shutting down

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock