Discussion PQ Issues on Tata Sky Binge+ STB due to HDR Settings

Digital Mastermind

Tata Play Expert
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

As you all must be aware I had upgraded to Binge+ STB last year in summer. That time i didnt have a 4K TV so i was using at on a FHD TV. Last year itself i bought a new 4K TV. (43 Inch)

4K TV which i bought : Vu Premium 4K TV | Vu Televisions

So i decided to use the Binge+ STB with the new 4K TV so i can make use all the features of the STB.
My TV Supports 4K UHD, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision.
So upon setting up the STB with the TV i found out the PQ to be same as my other TS HD STB no change for SD channels, HD Channels appeared bit better may be due to 4K TV i am not sure. HT quality was way better (I use Sony HT IV300).

Now coming to the settings, by default the HDR settings was off on STB (SDR to HDR option) and the HDMI 2.0 option was set to Standard and not Enhanced.
I enabled SDR to HDR on the STB and changed the HDMI 2.0 option to Enhanced on the TV and to my surprise all the channels (SD, HD) appeared washed out/Dull. Switching back to standard made it looked better. All upon enabling SDR to HDR in STB the picture mode settings in my TV changed to HDR Dynamic, HDR Standard, HDR Cinema, HDR Sports, etc. (Default its set to standard)

Disabling the SDR to HDR option on STB, the picture mode settings on the TV again changed back to just Dynamic, Standard, Cinema, Sports and Custom.
I dont know what the issue is with HDR on my TV.

The settings I am using now is as follows:

SDR to HDR is disabled on STB
HDMI 2.0 on TV is set to Enhanced to support higher resolution (Other option is standard)
Picture Mode Settings on TV is set to Standard.

Pls let me know if the settings i use is correct and if any mistake in settings or whether i should set HDMI 2.0 to standard as i dont see any difference in Enhanced.
@Siva bro had faced similar issues on his Xstream STB some time back, can help me out if possible.
Others who use a Binge+ and 4K TV can pls guide. Thanks.

This is my picture setting preferences...
U can change 4K Enhance and color sharpness Backlight according to our viewing comfort....
DDR to HDR always off...If it's enabled that will change to Dull picture ...I tried in my FTS 4K as always HDR but all pictures gets Dull...So kept it to Adaptive... Resolution is on Auto..

2aLsALU.jpg

SmKVDQs.jpg

lsKYWyc.jpg

Last edited:
This is my picture setting preferences...
U can change 4K Enhance and color sharpness Backlight according to our viewing comfort....
DDR to HDR always off...If it's enabled that will change to Dull picture ...I tried in my FTS 4K as always HDR but all pictures gets Dull...So kept it to Adaptive... Resolution is on Auto..

2aLsALU.jpg

SmKVDQs.jpg

lsKYWyc.jpg

This features are available on tatasky binge box.? Can u tell. If available I didn't get these option

This features are available on tatasky binge box.? Can u tell. If available I didn't get these option
Picture settings in Binge plus box is limited for Resolution and stretch or pillar box...
The settings I have posted is from my 4K UHD HDR TV...

I noticed one thing

when I turn on SDR to HDR in stb the TV shows HDR10 logo that means it’s supported

But

the PQ gets dull irrespective of it being SD or HD so it’s related to broadcast and I wish there was a auto mode where HDR was enables only and only if the content supported it

@as_4100 can u pls help in what u did and why I find that setting good ?

I noticed one thing

when I turn on SDR to HDR in stb the TV shows HDR10 logo that means it’s supported

But

the PQ gets dull irrespective of it being SD or HD so it’s related to broadcast and I wish there was a auto mode where HDR was enables only and only if the content supported it

Look i don't know which TV brand are you using... But I'm Using mi TV 4x Pro 55 ich and i set colour settings For SRD To HDR like this.. 👇🏻👇🏻

Picture Mode - Custom
Brightness - 47
Contrast -75
SATU - 65
SARP - 70
HUE- 50

Colour Temperature - Cool
Aspect Ratio - Full Screen
DNR - Off
Backlight - 65
Dynamic Backlight - On

HDMI - 2.0 - ON (Most important)

In this colour settings i like the SDR to HDR conversion..... way better than my previous old HD setup box

Look i don't know which TV brand are you using... But I'm Using mi TV 4x Pro 55 ich and i set colour settings For SRD To HDR like this.. 👇🏻👇🏻

Picture Mode - Custom
Brightness - 47
Contrast -75
SATU - 65
SARP - 70
HUE- 50

Colour Temperature - Cool
Aspect Ratio - Full Screen
DNR - Off
Backlight - 65
Dynamic Backlight - On

HDMI - 2.0 - ON (Most important)

In this colour settings i like the SDR to HDR conversion..... way better than my previous old HD setup box
Ok

I have mentioned the tv brand I use in my first post

I noticed one thing

But

If you keep OFF, SDR to HDR on Binge box, it works like Auto Mode only. Its just dont try to change SDR channels to HDR

For example, I kept it off, all channels run SDR except when I change to Travel XP 4k HDR; picture on TV automatically changes to HDR, I get HDR10 notification and HDR picture settings get enabled

Hope I understood question correctly

If you keep OFF, SDR to HDR on Binge box, it works like Auto Mode only. Its just dont try to change SDR channels to HDR

For example, I kept it off, all channels run SDR except when I change to Travel XP 4k HDR; picture on TV automatically changes to HDR, I get HDR10 notification and HDR picture settings get enabled

Hope I understood question correctly
Ok, so u want me to disable the SDR to HDR option in the STB... Its disabled now.

Right now only HDMI 2.0 option on the TV is set to Enhanced, so i guess that sets the HDR to auto mode like u said.

Ok, so u want me to disable the SDR to HDR option in the STB... Its disabled now.

Right now only HDMI 2.0 option on the TV is set to Enhanced, so i guess that sets the HDR to auto mode like u said.
Absolutely... to test try changing channel to Travel Xp 4k HDR, TV should automatically change settings to HDR 10 ( mine VU TV does with SDR to HDR disabled and HDMI 2.0 set to enhanced)
Once you go to other channel, it should change back to SDR

Basicly SDR to HDR setting, is only for converting SDR content to HDR. Same as in Fire TV 'Adaptive' or 'Always HDR ON' settings
But sadly coversion doesn't do good job

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock