Discussion PQ Issues on Tata Sky Binge+ STB due to HDR Settings

Absolutely... to test try changing channel to Travel Xp 4k HDR, TV should automatically change settings to HDR 10 ( mine VU TV does with SDR to HDR disabled and HDMI 2.0 set to enhanced)
Once you go to other channel, it should change back to SDR

Basicly SDR to HDR setting, is only for converting SDR content to HDR. Same as in Fire TV 'Adaptive' or 'Always HDR ON' settings
But sadly coversion doesn't do good job

hi I did what u said

I tune to travel xp HDR and vu tv shows HLG logo and not HDR10 logo.

is it the same ???

hi I did what u said

is it the same ???
HLG is also HDR format which is used for Broadcasting mainly like Live channels..
If HLG LOGO is showing than its HDR singal only, And your TV is definitely shifting from SDR to HDR on Travel XP, like I said

Hybrid log–gamma - Wikipedia (More on HLG)

On the other hand I have to recheck on my TV, last time I saw it was HDR10

Last edited:
hi I did what u said

is it the same ???
For me also its showing HLG now. And picture quality seems much better (personal opinion)
See screenshots
But last time I remember it was showing HDR10
IMG-20210721-212705-01.jpg

IMG-20210721-212831.jpg

For me also its showing HLG now. And picture quality seems much better (personal opinion)
See screenshots
But last time I remember it was showing HDR10
IMG-20210721-212705-01.jpg

IMG-20210721-212831.jpg
Well good explanation...
AFAIK HLG is not the perfect HDR/HDR10...As u said disabling the SDR to HDR should has to show HDR channels as HDR itself...I think travel XP 4K HDR channel is not having HDR originally...It's just upscaling to HLG...
Enabling SDR to HDR means upscaling the signals to HDR ...
Just a thought from me...

Well good explanation...
AFAIK HLG is not the perfect HDR/HDR10...As u said disabling the SDR to HDR should has to show HDR channels as HDR itself...I think travel XP 4K HDR channel is not having HDR originally...It's just upscaling to HLG...
Enabling SDR to HDR means upscaling the signals to HDR ...
Just a thought from me...

Travelxp 4K HDR Provides True HDR Bro!

Travelxp 4K HDR Provides True HDR Bro!
R u getting HDR logo in ur TV as the signal Input?I am not asking about the travel xp logo...Also remember that SDR to HDR should be disabled....

Last edited:
R u getting HDR logo in ur TV as the signal Input?I am not asking about the travel xp logo.
Yes bro, that's the HLG logo in the screen shot from the TV Pop-up notification is for HDR
Also picture setting changes automatically to HDR Settings in my TV once I switch to Travel XP

However I agree HLG is not good as HDR10 and far from Dolby Vision.
The reason:

HLG is mainly used in broadcasting channels specially Live content like matches due to dynamic nature of content which cannot be pre processed in production

HDR10 has fixed metadata and applies to whole content in video and thats why used for streaming or playbacks

Quote from the following link showing comparison between HDR formats

"The primary difference between other HDR standards and Hybrid Log-Gamma is that while standards like HDR10 and Dolby Vision are used for streaming or playback, the Hybrid Log-Gamma primarily focuses on broadcasting, i.e. it has been created as a solution for high-quality cable TV, satellite TV, and live TV"

Yes bro, that's the HLG logo in the screen shot from the TV Pop-up notification is for HDR
Also picture setting changes automatically to HDR Settings in my TV once I switch to Travel XP

However I agree HLG is not good as HDR10 and far from Dolby Vision.
The reason:

HLG is mainly used in broadcasting channels specially Live content like matches due to dynamic nature of content which cannot be pre processed in production

"The primary difference between other HDR standards and Hybrid Log-Gamma is that while standards like HDR10 and Dolby Vision are used for streaming or playback, the Hybrid Log-Gamma primarily focuses on broadcasting, i.e. it has been created as a solution for high-quality cable TV, satellite TV, and live TV"
Right....👍
That I exactly say ..that confirms as travel xp 4K HDR is not true HDR but HLG only....Means close to HDR....
We can confirm in Disney+Hotstar app by playing any HDR content checking in stats for nerds...In these pictures we can find the difference of video formats between HDR and non HDR...Can u check these video formats of HLG and HDR?? If so we can confirm the exact video format of travel xp 4K HDR..

AIZ9r25.jpg

izmKIxa.jpg

Kslydcp.jpg

cnbBgfE.jpg

In my TV if I go to Signal Diagnosis under Advanced System>Help with Travel XP tuned..
I see following Information:
Video Format: 3840*2160p@50Hz
HDR:Yes
( I will put screen shot later)
So definitely its HDR signal. and like I said, picture Settings also changes from Dynamic to HDR

HLG is also a valid HDR format. Quality wise might not be upto HDR10 format. Simple reason, limitation due to live broadcast , compare to streaming or stored contents

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock