Breaking Reliance and Disney merger approved by CCI

• Thread starter Thread starter rajrocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 413
  • Views Views: Views 50,129
What you have stated clearly explains that u lack knowledge about how companies craft strategy to cater to wider audience base.

Cricket is a mass viewed event hence OTT platforms are now trying to widen its subscriber/ audience base by providing it for free on their platform thus targeting to garner max ad revenue however there r still few restrictions put in when one wants to stream it on their Android TV App and one needs to opt for a subscription plan to access those features or at sometimes to even watch on Connected TV.....niche sports like Fp
Football, Tennis etc.. r still under paywall..... Also plz not Jio Cinema is still trying to widen its subscriber base hence lot of freebies bring given right now would be reduced soon like it happened in their telecom business.

The niche content brings in more subscription revenue while mass content brings more ad revenue so if u r not able to understand this and saying HBO had 100k subscribers on Hotstar or only minute % watch such niche content on other platforms too hence these r not much worth it then sorry buddy u r absolutely incorrect and not knowing how companies earn revenue thru diff audience segments.

Bottom, mid, top it is important for companies to cater to all end of end of pyramid to be successful

Lastly please stop name calling or levelling baseless allegations
I've had arguments with you long ago where you failed to grasp even the tiniest logical reason. I said Hotstar will lose 15-20 million subscribers when they lose IPL rights.

We are in 2024 and Hotstar lost more than 20 million subscribers. So who lacks knowledge here?

Also, the strategy you're talking about won't make sense if you spend 10-20 mins with an Advertising executive.

If JioCinema executive thinks they can attract bottom, mid and top then they're as clueless as you are. JioCinema should at least figure out their local programming like how Prime Video India did in the last 3-5 years.

If the subscription revenue was meaningful, they would've disclosed the number of subscribers the service attracted since launch. I assume they are very minuscule and it will stay that way as long as they don't invest in local programming.

HBO and other international programming won't move the needle much.

As for the advertising revenue that comes through sports, it is the only positive thing to come out of this service. And this works as long as it is not behind a paywall.

You're the one with lack of knowledge and how streaming strategy works.

I have all the answers and have discussed on the same in detail numerous times, unfortunately u won't accept the correct facts or even at 1st understand what is being said hence it is waste of time to invest more time + efforts in it
Waste of time when the person arguing is blind to facts.

You don't have facts. You have half baked assumptions.

Here people could be so entitled on their wrong opinions like its laughable. Bottom pyramid lol. So you pay for a service where the service will cater to the so called bottom pyramid who watch content 'mostly through piracy'.

Shutting down a big premium streaming service that has become household name is right decision whereas discontinuing a low bar trashy streaming service is wrong. WOW. Such explanations have been given and defense have been thrown.

And you cannot even defend a good service because the bad service is merged with the good now. You should not even talk about it. I guess thats the new rule.

DDF is a place now where assumptions are becoming facts just because some rude members cannot be acceptable to the actual facts.

Last edited:
I really hope we see an amalgamation of Jio and Hotstar in future. Hotstar app should never shutdown with those 500 million downloads. The app is getting updates regularly. Its very stable and doing very well. They should rebrand it to "Jio Hotstar / Jio Star" or just say they are merging all JioCinema content to hotstar app so that all the audiences can accept the change and nobody feel left out.

JioCinema is one of the most uninspired OTT names i have ever heard. It honestly gives off a cheap vibe. There is no premium feel to that name. It seems like when they were naming JioCinema, there was no one creative enough to come up with a good name.
This cheap brand name should and must be eradicated. Dont we have any standards ? Like what a shame its gonna be if we have a global streaming service whose brand name is JioCinema.
At its launch in 2016, JioCinema was exclusive to Jio users. The platform was part of the suite of apps offered by Reliance Jio, which included other services like JioTV, JioSaavn, and JioNews. JioCinema, like these other apps, was available for free to anyone who had a Jio SIM card and was subscribed to Jio's 4G network.

Like JioSaavn (earlier JioMusic) was meant for providing Audio Content; JioCinema was meant Video Content such as Movies, TV Shows, Web Series, and Documentaries.
So the name was chosen as part of the suite only (just like other apps in it).

Later on, they expanded their library by adding Sports and Anime; and collaborating with International Production Companies for wider content. They must've rebranded that time with some Premium names excluding the word Cinema (since the platform, from then, isn't meant just for cinema only), which they didn't do.

Ambani knows what works and that is exactly why JioCinema makes sense for the type of audience they're targeting and the type of programming they're producing.
Ambani needed to save Star,But nobody need Ambani's own Channels I.e Colors, Jio Cinema.

In recent years jio Cinema contents are greater then Hotstar.
Hotstar is popular only for user interface.in terms of PQ Jio Cinema is ahead of Hotstar.

Imo they Should keep app name as Jio + Star
They should revamp jio Cinema and merge Hotstar in it. Already one time confused their users during voot merger.So no need of confusing second time for same user.

Ambani needed to save Star,But nobody need Ambani's own Channels I.e Colors, Jio Cinema.

In recent years jio Cinema contents are greater then Hotstar.
Hotstar is popular only for user interface.in terms of PQ Jio Cinema is ahead of Hotstar.

Imo they Should keep app name as Jio + Star
They should revamp jio Cinema and merge Hotstar in it. Already one time confused their users during voot merger.So no need of confusing second time for same user.
yes, still many people ask where is voot. and why can i download. but now it has reduced due to huge marketing on jiocinema brand. no way they are going to close or change the name.

PS Jio cinema is a good name. hotstar could be used as a segment inside it to accumulate its shows.

Also jio cinema has started to remove old content to make way for hotstar integration.

Later on, they expanded their library by adding Sports and Anime; and collaborating with International Production Companies for wider content. They must've rebranded that time with some Premium names excluding the word Cinema (since the platform, from then, isn't meant just for cinema only), which they didn't do.

Totally.

The problem with Jio is that they want every single thing to be prefixed with "Jio". And considering Jio is a telecom brand name, it should not be incorporated with a streaming service app at all. Now if you go to My Jio app they have now brought JioTV and JioMart into it as well. They are very untidy. Wont be surprised if in future they buy some sanitaryware brand and call it "Jio Toilet" LOL.

yes, still many people ask where is voot. and why can i download. but now it has reduced due to huge marketing on jiocinema brand. no way they are going to close or change the name.

PS Jio cinema is a good name. hotstar could be used as a segment inside it to accumulate its shows.

Also jio cinema has started to remove old content to make way for hotstar integration.
Which OTT app have the highest number of users, downloads and subscribers?? Its Hotstar right?? If we follow your logic, then what about Hotstar users who might ask where Hotstar is??

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way JioCinema is a good name, not even in a million years. I understand you are fan of Viacom18/ Reliance and will defend that name, but its widely considered poor and meaningless. If the new merged entity is going to be named SIPL, it would make more sense to include a suffix like STAR or Hotstar, given its association with star. The name Cinema doesnt convey much.

You suggest creating a category called Hotstar, but Hotstar offers significantly more content than JioCinema. It would be more effective to create categories based on brands like Star, Colors, Disney, HBO, Anime, Kdrama etc., instead of just using Hotstar.

Totally.

The problem with Jio is that they want every single thing to be prefixed with "Jio". And considering Jio is a telecom brand name, it should not be incorporated with a streaming service app at all. Now if you go to My Jio app they have now brought JioTV and JioMart into it as well. They are very untidy. Wont be surprised if in future they buy some sanitaryware brand and call it "Jio Toilet" LOL.
Jio’s name feels quite cheap compared to Reliance, a original name, which had a more global and premium sound. Im genuinely curious about who comes up with such terrible names at Reliance, considering how unique their original name was.

Back
Top Bottom