Breaking Reliance and Disney merger approved by CCI

• Thread starter Thread starter rajrocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 418
  • Views Views: Views 50,640

Estimated Market Share (in the GEC segment)​

• Viacom18 (Colors Kannada): Around 30-35% of the Kannada GEC market, with Colors Kannada being one of the top performers.
  • Star India (Star Suvarna): Similarly holds around 25-30% of the market. Star Suvarna is a strong competitor, often switching places with Colors Kannada in weekly viewership ratings.
Together, these two companies could control 55-65% of the Kannada GEC market.
  • Star Pravah: Around 35-40% of the Marathi GEC market, often dominating the space with strong TRP ratings due to high-profile shows and content.
  • Colors Marathi: Holds approximately 20-25% of the market, making it a significant competitor but usually ranked below Star Pravah in viewership.
Together, Star Pravah and Colors Marathi control 55-65% of the Marathi television market.

• Star Jalsha: Holds around 40-45% of the Bengali GEC market, making it the undisputed leader in the region.
  • Colors Bangla: Likely controls around 10-15% of the market, significantly behind Star Jalsha but still a recognized brand in the Bengali television space.
Together, Star Jalsha and Colors Bangla control about 50-60% of the Bengali television market.

• Star Plus: Typically holds 25-30% of the Hindi GEC market, making it one of the top channels in terms of viewership.
  • Colors TV: Holds approximately 20-25% of the market, closely competing with Star Plus.
  • Star Bharat: Adds another 5-10%, mostly targeting tier-2 and rural audiences.
  • Colors Rishtey: Contributes around 3-5% with reruns of older shows and niche content.
In total, Star India (Star Plus and Star Bharat) and Viacom18 (Colors and Colors Rishtey) control around 50-65% of the Hindi GEC market.

• Star Vijay: Holds around 20-25% of the Tamil GEC market. It consistently competes with market leader Sun TV for viewership and is well-known for its reality shows and serials.
  • Colors Tamil: Likely controls about 5-10% of the market. While Colors Tamil has seen growth, it still lags behind dominant players like Sun TV, Star Vijay, and Zee Tamil.
If Star India and Viacom18 are merged, they would control around 25-35% of the Tamil GEC market.

• Viacom18 (Colors Kannada): Around 30-35% of the Kannada GEC market, with Colors Kannada being one of the top performers.
  • Star India (Star Suvarna): Similarly holds around 25-30% of the market. Star Suvarna is a strong competitor, often switching places with Colors Kannada in weekly viewership ratings.

This Market share Completely wrong ....
They both hold combined less then 40%.
Zee Kannada is no1 Channel, it holds more then Colors and Star is GEC Segment

Star Suvarna is a strong competitor, often switching places with Colors Kannada in weekly viewership ratings.
Really? Not often , Rarely

I think now Ambani changes his mind, D+HS will continue as Jio hotstar or Jio Star and Jio cinema will continue as free app for Jio mobile users only(as previous), content from Star/Colors and other 3rd party apps like Sun, Etv, Mini tv etc...
This is exactly what i have been saying from the start: if they merge both apps, i hope it will be under the DPHS which they can then rename to JioHotstar or JioStar. They could organize the content into sections like Star, Colors, JioHotstar Originals, Disney+, Marvel, Anime, Kdramas, HBO, News, Movies and more.

If they choose to keep two apps running separately, I’m curious about what they would offer for free on JioCinema besides the trashy soap operas. Maybe Bigg Boss would be a good fit but i doubt IPL would make sense to stream for free.

IPL is a major property that needs both subscription and ad based revenue (from TV as well as OTT). So the better solution would be to merge everything into DPHS, rename it JioHotstar or JioStar, whatever they prefer and offer both SVoD and AVoD services.

Last edited:
This is exactly what i have been saying from the start: if they merge both apps, i hope it will be under the DPHS which they can then rename to JioHotstar or JioStar. They could organize the content into sections like Star, Colors, JioHotstar Originals, Disney+, Marvel, Anime, Kdramas, HBO, News, Movies and more.

If they choose to keep two apps running separately, I’m curious about what they would offer for free on JioCinema besides the trashy soap operas. Maybe Bigg Boss would be a good fit but i doubt IPL would make sense to stream for free.

IPL is a major property that needs both subscription and ad based revenue (from TV as well as OTT). So the better solution would be to merge everything into DPHS, rename it JioHotstar or JioStar, whatever they prefer and offer both SVoD and AVoD services.
Jio cinema can stream IPL free for Jio users. Jio cinema have Sun NXT & other free apps content before Voot merger.

Jio cinema can stream IPL free for Jio users. Jio cinema have Sun NXT & other free apps content before Voot merger.

Streaming the IPL for free isnt a sustainable solution given the significant investment in digital rights. While offering it for free in the first year was a smart move to attract users to JioCinema, in the second year, they need to focus on generating revenue through both SVoD and AVoD to fully recover their costs. This means merging the platforms before the next IPL is essential. Until then, they can continue running Hotstar and JioCinema separately.

As for SunNXT, its content is far from sufficient to keep users engaged. Honestly, who even subscribes to SunNXT in North India?

This Market share Completely wrong ....
They both hold combined less then 40%.
Zee Kannada is no1 Channel, it holds more then Colors and Star is GEC Segment

Really? Not often , Rarely
This is what has been shared (based during sony zee merger)

Streaming the IPL for free isnt a sustainable solution given the significant investment in digital rights. While offering it for free in the first year was a smart move to attract users to JioCinema, in the second year, they need to focus on generating revenue through both SVoD and AVoD to fully recover their costs. This means merging the platforms before the next IPL is essential. Until then, they can continue running Hotstar and JioCinema separately.

As for SunNXT, its content is far from sufficient to keep users engaged. Honestly, who even subscribes to SunNXT in North India?

sports wont be free anymore, starting next IPL Season itself
They can offer free streaming of IPL & India's cricket for mobile users at least (hotstar strategy), otherwise they will loose huge ad revenue and ratings.

Back
Top Bottom