Breaking Reliance considering buying Disney’s stake in Tata Play

JollyLNB

News Columnist
Reaction score
Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Industries (RIL) is in discussions to acquire a 29.8 per cent stake in Tata Play from the Walt Disney Company, according to sources close to the development. This move is seen as part of RIL’s broader strategy to deepen its footprint in India’s television distribution sector. Tata Sons, the holding company of the Tata group, currently holds a 50.2 per cent stake in the satellite television broadcaster. Besides Disney, the remaining shares are owned by Temasek, a Singapore-based fund.

If the negotiations are successful, it would mark the first time the Tata group and the Ambanis have partnered in a joint venture. It would also extend the reach of JioCinema across the Tata Play platform.

RIL in talks for stake in Tata Play, may buy Disney's 29.8% share

India's no.1 DTH company Tataplay (104 HD channels)
If ambani buy then it will become india's powerful DTH company.
(Tata+Ambani)

OMG, if this happens then it would be good. But my personal opinion is that TATA should be the majority stake holder.

Reliance can be minority partner and it would be good for them as they already have Jio Fiber services, and Tata Play DTH, Binge and Tata Play Fiber will be added advantage in their business offerings.

I hope even if it happens the name remains as Tata Play, as dont want more rebranding again.

OMG, if this happens then it would be good. But my personal opinion is that TATA should be the majority stake holder.

Reliance can be minority partner and it would be good for them as they already have Jio Fiber services, and Tata Play DTH, Binge and Tata Play Fiber will be added advantage in their business offerings.

I hope even if it happens the name remains as Tata Play, as dont want more rebranding again.
Correct, Jio or their team in Viacom18 wont interest in linear TV market, but now they are interested in deep discounts in TV distribution also to gain rivals after Disney exit

Last edited:
Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries (RIL) is in talks to acquire a 29.8% stake in Tata Play, the satellite TV and streaming service currently owned by Walt Disney. This move, if finalized, would mark a significant expansion for RIL into the television distribution sector, potentially creating a major media powerhouse in India, according to a report by Business Standard.

Agree that if Tata keeps the Majority share, it will help to maintain competition.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock