Sony ROX HD & Sony Le Plex HD removing from Airtel Digital TV w.e.f 31st Dec 2018

• Thread starter iphifi
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 67
  • Views: Views 20,122
Status
Not open for further replies.
Airtel will surely replace Rox HD with Beats HD & as far as Le Plex HD is concerned they will try to add a english channel to fill the gap, Vh1 HD most likely fits the spot.

I am still confused how operators will make own customized bouquet by consolidating options offered by broadcasters or offer broadcaster bouquet to us when some or many channels are not even available on their platform.

Broadcasters have said that either operators will have to add those channels on platform or make own bouquet by combining a-la-carte option and pay accordingly. Unless 15% cap comes into effect or broadcasters are themselves forced to course correct prices in months ahead to increase subscriber numbers, till then how will this issue be worked out. Any information u all have on this?

Last edited:
Feeling very bad. Sony Rox HD was my personal favourite and most viewed channel. Only addition of both MTV Beats HD and MTV HD+ can fill this gap upto some extent.

@dino29 I guess Airtel will add pending SD & HD Channels which are present on Basic Packs of Broadcasters.

All DPOs must be waiting for the verdict of 15% Cap rule thay why maybe they haven't introduced packs till now.

Until then customers should select the broadcasters bouquets within the channels available on the DPO platform.

What in the world happened? Why would they shut down Rox HD!! Its one of my most viewed channel...easily. Am I the only one who likes this channel? :unsure:

Why are u surprised brother? Even English Channels find it hard to operate only in HD Segment so Hindi HD only being success is a far flung dream. Had i been part of Sony's planning team then i would have first launched Rox SD and fitted it to compete with 9XM while Sony Mix should have entirety catered to songs from past decades. Had Rox got a favourable response and made a mark in the genre then i would have launched a HD Feed with some distinctive and unique content to attract regular as well as niche audience.

Sony got it all wrong. Similarly Le Plex had high potential even if it remained HD exclusive but within few months of launch they started airing mainstream hollywood stuff on it and hence target audience started disassociating with it bcoz they weren't getting story driven or impactful cinema on it as promised earlier. Later on with entry of &Prive and already poor distribution or reach they had no option but to shut shop.

@dino29 I guess Airtel will add pending SD & HD Channels which are present on Basic Packs of Broadcasters.

All DPOs must be waiting for the verdict of 15% Cap rule thay why maybe they haven't introduced packs till now.

Until then customers should select the broadcasters bouquets within the channels available on the DPO platform.

Airtel is very selective in adding HD channels, previously they used to clearly state they can't buy higher bouquet and pay hefty amount for long term fixed deals for it when there are limited takers for many premium channels on their platform. They did not want to invest more and face financial loss. To be fair they did provide us channels at much affordable price than competitors.

Now with TRAI Tariff Order that risk or problem has gone away, Airtel can easily add HD channels and pay to broadcasters only on basis of channels or bouquet opted by subscribers. There is still a small concern of allocating transponder bandwidth and not be sure to get adequate takers for these channels which translates to revenue but by properly marketing their features or offering they can easily match Tata Sky on this. Let's wait n see.

All in all TRAI Tariff Order is best thing to have happened, we will get all our favourite channels at lower price, operators will be released of contract or blackout related worries, useless channels will shut down and content on important channels will see improvement to attract audience.

Tata Sky will most probably lose the case in court, things will get better in next few months as all things will be fine tuned based on market forces. No need to unnecessarily worry, only ones affected will be cable operators who were not transparent in doing business or Tata Sky which got huge savings from broadcasters and provided same to us at inflated rates to raise profit margin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock