Breaking Star, Sony, Viacom18, Zee and more join hands against TRAI

When? On 1st Jan 2020.
How? By again set a limit of Rs 12 in a bouquet without reducing the NCF.
So they can't price their channels more than 12rs?

PS: Their rates of most popular channels were 1-5rs before 2019.

PPS: Zee openly admitted that they got almost 50% extra profits from subscribers in 2019 because of the new rules.

Last edited:
So they can't price their channels more than 12rs?

PS: Their rates of most popular channels were 1-5rs before 2019.
1. Yes they can. But people won't take a channel from ala carte if it priced Rs 19. How many you can select? Just 2 or 3? Bad for their business.

2. How did you know it was Rs 1 to 5 before 2019? That's totally incorrect. They offered it in bundle package to the DPO.

1. Yes they can. But people won't take a channel from ala carte if it priced Rs 19. How many you can select? Just 2 or 3? Bad for their business.

2. How did you know it was 1 to 5 before 2019? That's totally incorrect. They offered it in bundle package to the DPO.

1. People do select them because they can be bundled in the Operator's bouquet which you said 80% of people already choose. Operators lower their NCF to around 80-90rs in these bouquets. And people like us already do select a-la-carte channels when HD and SD cost the same or close to each other.

2. DreamDTH has an article about it.

Last edited:
Can the courts put a stay on it even after SC's verdict though?
SC basically said TRAI has all the power.
Did supreme court really said that? Can you give the source so that I can read more about it
That is what I was asking Siva.
From news articles previously, they made it sound like SC gave complete power to TRAI to set any kind of rules with regards bouquet, discounting, etc.
SC judgement was not clear on the bouquet discount, that is why TRAI didn't enforce it, as explained in my post below.

Discussion - TRAI announced important changes in the Tariff Order

SC did grant full power to TRAI to implement tariff orders to regulate the sector. So that part can't be challenged in any court, including the Maximum MRP of Rs. 12 for including a channel in a bouquet, that TRAI had set now. However, as the SC ruling was not direct and clear on the bouquet discount clause, the broadcasters may go to the courts on that clause. But then it's unlikely that they will get any ruling in their favor, as the SC judgment did narrowly mention the bouquet discounts in its previous judgement. For now, the broadcasters will at least try to delay the implementation, as it will take time to get clarity on this. IF the courts do order to maintain the status quo until they can understand the SC judgement fully, the amendments need to wait. Let's see!

SC judgement was not clear on the bouquet discount, that is why TRAI didn't enforce it, as explained in my post below.

Discussion - TRAI announced important changes in the Tariff Order

SC did grant full power to TRAI to implement tariff orders to regulate the sector. So that part can't be challenged in any court, including the Maximum MRP of Rs. 12 for including a channel in a bouquet, that TRAI had set now. However, as the SC ruling was not direct and clear on the bouquet discount clause, the broadcasters may go to the courts on that clause. But then it's unlikely that they will get any ruling in their favor, as the SC judgment did narrowly mention the bouquet discounts in its previous judgement. For now, the broadcasters will at least try to delay the implementation, as it will take time to get clarity on this. IF the courts do order to maintain the status quo until they can understand the SC judgement fully, the amendments need to wait. Let's see!
Thanks Siva. Broadcasters will use all their lawyers for this.

Lets see what happens in the next 2 months and hope TRAI's orders pass through without incident or delay.

I used to subscribe sports channels by a-la-carte.
I had to do that to after trai rules. I still have it because SS1 english is not available in bengali 49 bouquets.
But I used get all channels before Trai rules by paying Rs just 380. Now i can't get even my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock