DDF Exclusive "Star Sports 1 Kannada" Launching From 16 November (Replacing Channel V)

• Thread starter Gssran
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 129
  • Views: Views 39,968
Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Sports 1 Kannada Official Logo
PGiQiSI.jpg

VVXCX4d.jpg

Expected logo of channel

The 'Da' in 'Ka Nna Da' (ಕನ್ನಡ) text is not actually 'Da'. it would look like this: There is a connection between the swirl shape and the top line. The 'Da' in your logo misses this connection. There is no letter which appears like that.

This is how star sports 1 kannada will look on TV. just to give you glimpse before actual addition.

52a2b7640413963.jpg

I have added team names in Kannada which are Chennai & Delhi for Indian super league along with program name in Kannada.

Also added dreamdth as dth service logo at the right bottom.

All translation has done using Google translate & I can't read the Kannada language so the used words might be wrong as I can't cross-check.

Give your reviews :tup:

Good work with this, but the program will be ಇಂಡಿಯನ್ ಸೂಪರ್ ಲೀಗ್. They won't be translating 'Indian' to 'Bharathiya'. Also, the aspect ratio in this image should've been 4:3 as this is an SD channel. The 'Chennai' and 'Delhi' appear to be in different font sizes.

Star Sports 1 Kannada Official Logo
PGiQiSI.jpg

VVXCX4d.jpg
Star has invested in designing its own Kannada font. To avoid problems with line spacing, they have cropped the upper line's terminal upward curve on all letters and reduced the size of subscripting stress-letters. Though not grammatically acceptable to change how the language is written, it's somewhat pleasing to the eyes. After comparing the same with Hindi and Tamil texts on SS1H and SS1T logos, I found out that the design language on all three languages is same.

Was there any channel called Star Sports 5?!

The 'Da' in 'Ka Nna Da' (ಕನ್ನಡ) text is not actually 'Da'. it would look like this: There is a connection between the swirl shape and the top line. The 'Da' in your logo misses this connection. There is no letter which appears like that.

Good work with this, but the program will be ಇಂಡಿಯನ್ ಸೂಪರ್ ಲೀಗ್. They won't be translating 'Indian' to 'Bharathiya'. Also, the aspect ratio in this image should've been 4:3 as this is an SD channel. The 'Chennai' and 'Delhi' appear to be in different font sizes.

Star has invested in designing its own Kannada font. To avoid problems with line spacing, they have cropped the upper line's terminal upward curve on all letters and reduced the size of subscripting stress-letters. Though not grammatically acceptable to change how the language is written, it's somewhat pleasing to the eyes. After comparing the same with Hindi and Tamil texts on SS1H and SS1T logos, I found out that the design language on all three languages is same.

Was there any channel called Star Sports 5?!
Don't know bro,was previous decided to launch??

@zaxotes, @Shashank: I apologize if I have offended you both. Only now, after you both have informed, that I have come to understand that Kannada is a very large market.
Generally Telugu channels make bigger numbers than Kannada ones. All four of the big Telugu GECs always come within the top 15 (if not 10) channels of India by viewership, but no Kannada channel comes. Similarly the Tollywood industry is more well-known at a national level than the Sandalwood industry. This is why I was surprised that a Star Sports channel in Kannada is being launched before a Telugu channel. If there is a market for a particular language, the network will surely launch a channel. I now understand that while in the GEC and film world Telugu channels are always ahead of Kannada channels, this may not be so in sports.
Kindly accept my apologies.:hands:

I was not offended; I was only curious about the logic you used to ask 'Why Kannada? Why not Telugu?'

I know very well how Telugu industry is performing on both big and small screens making it appear in the top-10 TRP listings. I also know that never has a Kannada channel made it to this list. However, Star would not start a sports channel dedicated to Kannada without solid reasons.

Below I have explained few of the possible reasons for a Kannada channel (also a Tamil channel) and not a Telugu channel in Sports genre by Star.
  • Star's deal with RCB enabling it produce pre-shows during IPL is a long one (I know this personally, I have been a part of 'Inside RCB' series on Star Sports Network last two seasons). Now they have an edge to make this in three languages - English, Hindi and Kannada instead of only two like last two seasons. Internal sources suggest that Star is already in talks to have a similar deal with CSK starting this season. Thus SS1K and SS1T would be effectively utilized. SRH does not have a deal with Star as of now; possibly won't have too because they belong to Sun Group and they have many channels that can do this.
  • Kannada commentary (on Star Suvarna Plus) and Tamil commentary (on Vijay Super and SS1T) for the Pro-Kabaddi League has been very well received by the audience in the previous seasons. Telugu commentary might've been well received too, but this can't be the only reason for Star to launch a channel.
  • Presence of Bengaluru FC and Chennayin FC in Indian Super League. (BFC is included from this season, and has already established itself as a strong team, also carries an ardent fan base, starting as favorites this season.) There is still no team representing any city from either Andhra Pradesh or Telangana in the ISL so viewership for this league will be less in Telugu-speaking areas.
  • Presence of Karnataka Premier League in Star's bouquet, possibly a multi-year contract; which must have a robust Kannada commentary. SS1K will cater to viewers of KPL in the language they like. Also TNPL has been with star since two years and Tamil people are already liking the Tamil commentary. But there is no Telangana / Andhra Pradesh Premier League yet, Telugu commentary for KPL or TNPL wouldn't make any sense.
Nationwide, Star, Zee, Colors and Sony are considered as the 'Big Four'. Among these four, Sony has not shown interest in south channels yet. Note that all the other three have their channels in Kannada. While Colors' launch might be expected in other south languages in the near future, it has already secured the fort in Kannada with two GECs. In fact, Colors has two GECs only in Kannada under the 'Colors' brand. Even in Hindi it used two brands.

Star, Zee, Colors and Sun Network may be considered the 'South's Big Four' and Kannada is the only language where all these networks have at-least one HD channel (considering Zee Kannada HD already licensed).

I believe I have explained the logic of Star for launching a Kannada sports channel before Telugu in my opinion. What do others think? Let me know...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock