Star TV replaces Sony TV as Yash Raj Films broadcaster?

Good if happens, I believe Star can manage bollywood movies better than Sony. But without YRF then what will Sony left? They should have bear some titles in sake of a mainstream Hindi network.
A source told the publication, “Ever since Disney acquired Fox and Star there has been an influx of financial backing. Thanks to this Star Network was able to offer up Rs. 500 cr. for the satellite right of forthcoming films that are to be made under the Yash Raj Films banner.”
Some confusion exists here based on another article.
"Star India has not been in the pink of health post the merger with Disney. While its expensive sports investments has significantly reduced the company's profitability (its profits as per ROC records dipped from Rs 1,119 crore in the 2017 fiscal to Rs 642 crore in 2018 fiscal and the company is believed to be in deficit in 2019)."
Disney-Star merger results in high profile exits amid twin management styles
Fox had a special care on Star when they are the parent company and given enough money support for expensive deals.We had seen it on IPL rights. Even Disney is wealthier but their number of subsidiaries also huge. And Disney's approach towards Star isn't seems to be expensive like earlier. Fox had handled Star smarter till it sell and lets see how disney going to manage.
If Fox was the parent Star may offer 1000 crore😆

Last edited:
:ouch: :ouch: :ouch: The entire YRF collection! :skd:

Now that Sony has completely lost the YRF cushion, it has to fight to get whatever little Hindi movies it can get. IMHO, Star Gold will start showing Tiger Zinda Hai, the Dhoom series and DDLJ, and Star Gold Select will hopefully show better movies like Dum Laga Ke Haisha and Shuddh Desi Romance. In this way it can finally show some competition to &xplor HD and ensure that these excellent movies are not wasted at the hands of some executives and their policies.
Not all movies Right now Star acquired Upcoming movies satellite Rights
Also Expecting Yash Raj films classical blockbuster movies Satellite Rights Renewed to Star India

This Sony lost IPL , ICC , BCCI media Rights
Now in Movies Yash Raj films banner movies Satellite Rights lost
All these media Rights lost front of Star India

This is good news for viewers, now we will be able ti watch all the YRF movies which until now Sony kept on back burner for reasons best known to them. I feel more than YRF agreeing to this, it was Sony who called for this by absolutely sidelining YRF films on their channels.
No production house would feel satisfied by just selling rights & not getting desired visibility on TV. Also YRF has been going thru difficult phase, having less of its movies aired on channels further reduces it brand recall or value. With Star India offering such big amount they would happily jump ship. All the decades of strong bond Sony built with YRF stands to crumble bcoz of sheer disregard towards its partner.

Happy that Disney is investing more on building content on hindi movie channels. From 2020 all previous and future SRK films will also be with Star India. As i said Star will have dedicated channels for various kind of cinema including classic library which gets impetus with above deals.

Those worrying that Disney will not invest like Fox did r actually wrong. Fox pumped in most budget for sports properties, Disney will trim that and have more focus put on English GEC/Movies, Kids, Hindi Movie and other key genres. This is great news as we will also soon get rid of seeing cricket highlights all day across their sports channels. I was always against irrational spending on anything which benefits neither broadcasters or subscribers , this will also bring correction in telecast rights value of BCCI /IPL. Already post takeover Disney improved content on Star's English GEC channels, going forward we may see ABC channel being brought into India

Now will also hope that Aashiqui 2 moves out of Sony , SonyLiv and comes to Hotstar/Zee5 and their respective satellite channels

Now will also hope that Aashiqui 2 moves out of Sony , SonyLiv and comes to Hotstar/Zee5 and their respective satellite channels

Amaa Miyan, u r praying too hard for them sinking to bottom. Please don't be so harsh to them, we know they r not that great in managing things on certain fronts but i am sure they will improve upon post reflecting closely on shortcomings. I still feel that they provide best picture/audio quality but need massive boost in areas like content, packaging, promotions, and to some extent distribution. Apart from this they need to immediately hand over sports production responsibility to some expert 3rd party organization

Last edited:
Please don't be so harsh to them, we know they r not that great in managing things on certain fronts but i am sure they will improve upon post reflecting closely on shortcomings
To do that they have to kick Neeraj Vyas. Sony is losing rights of bollywood movies for a bollywood channel, and now converting it into hindi-language movie channel. Ridiculous decisions made under him just for the sake of TRPs

I still feel that they provide best picture/audio quality but need massive boost in areas like content, packaging, promotions, and to some extent distribution.
True. Same also applies for BBC Earth (HD variant at least)

Apart from this they need to immediately hand over sports production responsibility to some expert 3rd party organization
LMFAO

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock