Sun TV to acquire TV9 news channels

ratedr

Contributor
Reaction score
Chennai, July 17 (TruthDive) : Sun TV Network Ltd owned by Kalanithi Maran is close to signing a deal to acquire Hyderabad-based TV9 owned by Associated Broadcasting Company Pvt Ltd (ABCL), which manages six news channels. Two channels in Kannada, one each in Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati and English operate under the brand TV9. PE firm Saif Partners from Mauritius is willing to sell its stake in ABCL. The deal could be around Rs 150 crore. TV9 news channel is the market leader in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. With Rs 16,000 cr capital and dominant presence in southern regional languages, Sun TV Tamil bouquet is far ahead of the rivals while in neighbouring states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, the margin with rivals is only around 20% and in Kerala it is in the third position to market leader Asianet. I t recently converted one of its channel Kiran in Kerala to a movie channel. The acquisition of TV9 is with an eye on the TRAI order that from October all new channels can air only 12 minutes of commercial for one hour program. The big players to offset the volumes would increase the tariff, but the smaller ones will not be able to do so. In Tamil Nadu, Sun News is facing a stiff competition from Puthiya Thalamurai owned by SRM group. With the addition of six news channels, the Sun Network will be able to offer packages across all the news channels and hike rates. In the upcountry level, Zee regional channel will be able to shift to the new regime with ease. With Rs 416 crore in cash as per audit report ending March 31,2013 and nil debt, Sun Network is in talks with Reliance DTH for a stake to increase its presence upcountry. The Maran-owned company has Tamil print publications coming from Dinakaran group that publishes daily newspapers and magazines. Due to the low pricing, it has a large readership in the daily newspaper market but is only second to Dinathanthi. The entry of The Hindu into the Tamil daily newspaper segment could be a game changer. source Sun TV to acquire TV9 news channels - TruthDiveTruthDive

nat9 said:
why sun network not enter in hindi speaking are

Because they do nt do channel politics in hindi...why u want sun network to enter into hindi genre? In my point of view they are most popular worst television network in india

dineshakshit1992 said:
Because they do nt do channel politics in hindi...why u want sun network to enter into hindi genre? In my point of view they are most popular worst television network in india

sun network is good

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock