Breaking TDSAT orders BECIL to hold commerical and technical audit of Tata Sky's system qua Sony's channel

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 102
  • Views: Views 25,370
In the period between 2015 to 2018 Sony's channel bouquet grew from 13 to 32 which includes many HD channels too & Tata Sky's subscriber base grew from 10 million to 16 million so how is asking for a substantial increase in fixed deal agreement amount wrong on part of broadcaster? Have u all forgotten the fact that Tata Sky increased the pack prices on a periodic basis and told us that it's due to addition of new channels so isn't it right to give a proportionate raise in revenue share to broadcasters ? Tata Sky charges are highest in the industry , if they don't want to pay more to broadcasters then they should reduce pack prices for us too but just making us pay more to increase profit is not acceptable atleast to me. Sony's demand of increase in agreement amount from Rs. 800 to 1700 crore is not that steep considering all these factors. If "market forces" affect input costs for the operator then broadcaster is not untouched by this as they are governed by same policies. Sony surely lost IPL but they have invested in getting rights of many other costly sports properties, look at the wide range of events they show on their network unlike Star Sports which charges hefty amount to show cricket highlights across channels. If u r not supporting Sony on this then i am afraid u r unknowingly promoting unfair practice. If u r supporting Tata Sky here then please ask them to provide HD+ STB to us at same price that of HD STB, if they agree then i will stand by ur side unconditionally.

Remember Sony has not increased prices pf channels, TRAI rules don't permit the same . Fact is no. of channels run by them + no. of subscribers & prices of Tata Sky have increased hence Sony is requesting for equal raise in fixed deal amount. Please don't fall for statements made to public, go into facts and decide who's stand is logical
But rs1700 cr is high. They loosed ipl. 1000cr enough for them. Airtel,dishvideocon should also object sony if they asks this huge amount to them when there contract renewal. Also tdsat don,t favour tatasky if there is any problem on the side of tatasky.

Whatever, the channels will not be added before 12 November. This much is sure.

Exactly. Fully Agreed with all the words of @dino29 bro. Tata Sky Charges the most of all operators but they are still not ready for this and they are also doing same with other broadcasters also.
And one more thing if they have problems they may put all spn channels into ala carte instead of removing them so that subscribers will not miss their favourite contents.
So in my opinion real culprit is Tata Sky only:cautious:

Last edited:
But rs1700 cr is high. They loosed ipl. 1000cr enough for them. Airtel,dishvideocon should also object sony if they asks this huge amount to them when there contract renewal. Also tdsat don,t favour tatasky if there is any problem on the side of tatasky.

Bhai, just calculate the amount they have invested in buying sports properties post losing IPL plus additional costs involved. Also factoring the increase in number of channels & money spent on them + substantial jump in subscriber base of Tata Sky , the amount they r demanding is quite reasonable. Just remember out of the new channels launched by Sony during 2015 to 2018 many were in HD segment & it's a costly affair to start + run them.

Regarding ur question about Sony asking for a similar increase from other operators too , well each dth or cable operator is carrying different number of channels from a broadcaster so agreement price will depend on bouquet taken by them + total subscriber base. We cannot make a generalised statement on it but surely increase will happen in that case too.

TDSAT has simply said that it's upto operator to decide what's in customer interest & making them forcefully take all channels under RIO would be incorrect. Sony has still not presented the points i have mentioned infront of TDSAT, let's wait what observation TDSAT gives after these arguments are put forward

Tata Sky is ready to give old rate i.e. 800cr which is not correct. Their subscribers & Sony's channels has increased so they should give at least 1000 - 1100 crores. Sony is right at it's place. TS is getting too much from customers & they should share it with the broadcasters.

tata sky also earn lots of money with each channels compare to other dth provider.
They will reduce after gio giga tv. But don,t mess current issue with this. And all dths need to introduce packages for each states differentily if they are not accepting trais alacarte rule. I am keralite we do not require this much off hindi entertainment,music,movie channels in our pack most of us paying for this channels. For nothing we are just wasting our money. Except sundirect every dths has this problem.

Bhai, just calculate the amount they have invested in buying sports properties post losing IPL plus additional costs involved. Also factoring the increase in number of channels & money spent on them + substantial jump in subscriber base of Tata Sky , the amount they r demanding is quite reasonable. Just remember out of the new channels launched by Sony during 2015 to 2018 many were in HD segment & it's a costly affair to start + run them.

Regarding ur question about Sony asking for a similar increase from other operators too , well each dth or cable operator is carrying different number of channels from a broadcaster so agreement price will depend on bouquet taken by them + total subscriber base. We cannot make a generalised statement on it but surely increase will happen in that case too.

TDSAT has simply said that it's upto operator to decide what's in customer interest & making them forcefully take all channels under RIO would be incorrect. Sony has still not presented the points i have mentioned infront of TDSAT, let's wait what observation TDSAT gives after these arguments are put forward
Giving 1700cr will.surely increase tatasky pack prices

Bros I think if TataSky charging the most and Sony is demanding that much hick and then TS increases the subscription money. Then all the sony channels should be advertising free for we ts users as we pay the highest amount to SPN and not to other dths as they are not paying that much high subscription amount.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock