Tip: Prevent Shocks of the Set-Top Box Kind !

• Thread starter Vinay
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 6
  • Views: Views 8,205

Vinay

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Damage due to lightning is a common cause of failure in electronic and telecom devices. While this is a natural incidence that occurs, we can do our bit to prevent or atleast minimize the extent of damage.

Sometimes users get a nasty shock on touching a faulty metal body set-top box which may be due to a transformer or leaking AC Voltage capacitor in the primary power section of the set-top box. The reason is most STBs have only 2-pin power plugs with no earthing.

A good method of grounding antenna is just connect non-painted part of antenna (like joint nut-bolts) to metallic pipes that supply water to your building or colony. This way the voltage due to lightning strike is distributed across the entire network of water supply pipes and there is no dangerous level of voltage that remains.

To protect LNBs and Set-top boxes(STB) from damage, connect the outer metal part of F-connector on the RG-6 co-axial cable to the grounding pipe with a wire.

I have connected the metal braids of all my antenna co-axial wires to a water pipe that travels through more than 40 buildings and earthing is provided to lethal voltages that may be present due to faulty appliances or equipment.

This will not disturb the satellite reception, but take care that the central copper core of the co-axial wire should NOT be grounded.

d5QTP.jpg

380473_204803809604744_100002253792345_448779_1579108914_n.jpg

393659_204803846271407_100002253792345_448780_1571902908_n.jpg

Good Idea For Safety.Many time Electric Shocks on connectors . i already Do this .
Always use Tight Connection With Coper Wire loose Connection given Shocks With Sparking.
images

Thanks Vikram and Biswajit, I added 2 more pics of my actual STB and LNB grounding connection above.

its really nice brother,my stb's are shock free already :hehe

Bapun Raz said:
its really nice brother,my stb's are shock free already :hehe

Your STB must be having a plastic body. But still the "LNB In" can sometimes give a shock due to malfunction ;)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock