Breaking Zee Punjabi set to launch on 13 January, 2020

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 213
  • Views: Views 49,716
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zee media launch a new channel Zee Punjabi. It's launching date is confirmed you can see this channel from 13 January 2020. Zee media also announced 9 new show in Punjabi language.

Star is least bothered about regional channels outside the four South languages, Bangla and Marathi. Zee has a far better track record, Viacom18 as well. Zee has been successfully running Zee Sarthak in Odisha for more than two years, and the channel was already present under a different ownership since 2010. While much less successful Colors Odia is also there. And Colors Gujarati has a monopoly in the Gujarati market.

There is a high chance that Zee will bring back Zee Gujarati (shut down in 2009) in the next few years. Viacom also stands a good chance of entering the Punjabi market. This leaves only Assamese where none of the big national networks are present.
We certainly can't call colors gujrati has monopoly as it is the only GEC available in the market. Gujrati market is also small comparing to others. Zee gujrati seems doubtful to me.

Zee is really going great in regional markets. Launching new channels and their strategies are working almost everywhere.

Thank goodness they are not using the common packaging template used by Zee Tv and it's Southern counterparts along with Zee Bangla.

This becomes the fourth addition to the list of Zee channels that do not follow the common packaging template (viz. Zee Marathi, Zee Yuva and Zee Sarthak)
Their strategy is simple bro.

Wherever people are watching less Zee tv less such as South channels & Zee Bangla They go with same theme as Zee Tv. Wherever Zee TV has sizable viewership they go with different theme. Aside if they'll launch Second GEC's in Bangla or southern markets they'll surely have different theme.

Last edited:
How to create a poll. I want to create a poll on Zee Punjabi.

We certainly can't call colors gujrati has monopoly as it is the only GEC available in the market.
What you are referring to as a monopoly is one predominant channel out of several channels (e.g., Sun TV, Star Maa, Asianet). That is not really a monopoly. However, since Colors Gujarati is the only channel in the Gujarati matket, it is a true monopoly.

On a different note, it is clear that Punjabis want to see shows in their own language, which PTC (as far as serials are concerned) has not given, with mostly movies, music and reality shows. I don't know if the same is true for Gujarat. It is known that Gujaratis prefer watching Hindi TV channels, but how much they will prefer watching Colors Gujarati over Hindi channels is not clear. This will present a challenge for Zee to enter Gujarat.

Last edited:
I below have some Positive Points which would make Zee Punjabi successful :-
1. Availability on DD Free Dish
2. Never before seen Punjabi content, that is, serials etc. ( Which is also a huge risk)

There are some drawbacks too -
1. They have invested a lot in content production. So if Channel even gets Average TRP, then also it will be a flop verdict to channel.
2. Most of Punjabis watch Hindi Tele serials, so it will be difficult for Zee Punjabi to attract audience and hook them to watch it's serials. (This one is a huge challenge for them)

If you have some more points for Advantages or Drawbacks, You can share here.
I also request you all to give your Opinions about Zee Punjabi' a fate in future. Will it be a successful channel or not?... Well according to me if the channel gets TRP from 45000 to 50000, then it is a successful channel, but if less than this, it will be flop according to me. Zee has invested a lot, earlier they said it will be a movies plus music channel, but now it looks like it will be a Pure GEC, which has its basket full of content.

Kindly share your opinion.

I below have some Positive Points which would make Zee Punjabi successful :-
1. Availability on DD Free Dish
2. Never before seen Punjabi content, that is, serials etc. ( Which is also a huge risk)

There are some drawbacks too -
1. They have invested a lot in content production. So if Channel even gets Average TRP, then also it will be a flop verdict to channel.
2. Most of Punjabis watch Hindi Tele serials, so it will be difficult for Zee Punjabi to attract audience and hook them to watch it's serials. (This one is a huge challenge for them)

If you have some more points for Advantages or Drawbacks, You can share here.
I also request you all to give your Opinions about Zee Punjabi' a fate in future. Will it be a successful channel or not?... Well according to me if the channel gets TRP from 45000 to 50000, then it is a successful channel, but if less than this, it will be flop according to me. Zee has invested a lot, earlier they said it will be a movies plus music channel, but now it looks like it will be a Pure GEC, which has its basket full of content.

Kindly share your opinion.
Zee isn't investing on Zee Punjabi with just India in Mind. In months Zee will take it to US, Canada, UK market. So even if it doesn't work well in India in short term, in long run it will be a win win situation for Zee especially when Zee is trying to expand via Zee 5

I also request you all to give your Opinions about Zee Punjabi' a fate in future. Will it be a successful channel or not?... Well according to me if the channel gets TRP from 45000 to 50000, then it is a successful channel, but if less than this, it will be flop according to me.
The DDFD factor is crucial and this will surely lead to a hike in TRPs. Currently T TV is the only Punjabi option on DDFD. We have a situation where every single Bhojpuri channel is on DDFD, whether from a big or a small network. This has led to more eyeballs. The same will be the case here.
They have invested a lot in content production. So if Channel even gets Average TRP, then also it will be a flop verdict to channel.
To take on PTC, Zee Punjabi is banking on its serials and Sa Re Ga Ma Pa. How will it stand out from PTC Punjabi Gold, Pitaara, etc. if it shows only movies and music? In fact Punjabi is the only language where serials have not been aired until now. Zee Punjabi has changed that. Of course, heavy investment is needed.

By the way, @Armaan99 bro, you can update your profile picture with the new Zee Punjabi logo. :tup:

Last edited:
Zee isn't investing on Zee Punjabi with just India in Mind. In months Zee will take it to US, Canada, UK market. So even if it doesn't work well in India in short term, in long run it will be a win win situation for Zee especially when Zee is trying to expand via Zee 5
Audience is audience bro, either in India, UK, USA or Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock