DTH vs Local cable for Multiple TV?

Hi all, i just saw the ad from Sun direct and it does seem attractive and seems to have offer higher number of channels and im kind of moving towards DTH as im without cable for past 2 months (yes, family is scolding me quite frequently as they cant even watch news) so now i wish to request for suggestions from those who are with DTH for a long time (especially those from Chennai).

My neighbors recommend TataSky & Airtel (I have multiple land lines and mobiles from Airtel so payment would be easy).

My requirements:
  • Sports basically soccer and soccer only. If possible a few IPL & Top Cricket matches either in Eng or Tamil for family members.
  • All popular Tamil channels (Polimer or Vendhar missing wont be an issue as family is yet to check them) and for me i dont care none.
  • Popular Tamil music channels.
  • All popular Tamil news channels.
  • All Popular International English News including Al-Jazeera, CNN, CNBC.
  • All popular English GEC & Movie Channels.
And i wish the DTH does not go off during rainy season as Chennai being a coastal city is prone to frequent rains.

Please suggest me both SD & HD Packs. Both short and long term subscriptions.

Last edited:
For multi tv Airtel can be cheaper than cable tv if you know how to play right.

Can you please show me an example?

For local cable i would spend Rs 300 for SD-cum-HD connection on 1 tv & Rs 250 on SD connection on another tv which brings the monthly subscription to Rs 550.

All i want is the following,
  • Sports basically soccer and soccer only. If possible a few IPL & Top Cricket matches either in Eng or Tamil for family members. (HD for TV 1 & SD for TV 2).
  • All popular Tamil channels (Polimer or Vendhar missing wont be an issue as family is yet to check them) and for me i dont care none. (SD for TV 1 & for TV 2 its optional).
  • Popular Tamil music channels. (SD for TV 1 & for TV 2 its optional).
  • All popular Tamil news channels. (SD for TV 1 & for TV 2 its optional).
  • All Popular International English News including Al-Jazeera, CNN, CNBC. (HD for TV 1 & SD for TV 2).
  • All popular English GEC & Movie Channels. (HD for TV 1 & SD for TV 2).
  • *For TV 2: Only Sports, Eng news and movies are mandatory, other channels are just optional.
What will be the monthly subscription for Airtel for these two TV's?

Thanks.

Hi, all.

By this month i might be going DAS so i checked with my LCO the cost for SD connection (VK Digital Chennai) for 3 tv's, he said SD STB per Tv is INR 500 and Monthly subscription with all SD channels is INR 250 per month per TV so for 3 Tv's its INR 750 per month and strictly cash payments.

My requirement is all English (2 tv's), Tamil (all 3 Tv's) & Sports channels (2 tv's).

So wanted to check if DTH would offer better packs under Multi Tv pack or if it would still be costlier than INR 750 per month.

PS: STB cost not an issue so please suggest for monthly expense alone.

Thanks.
Now i got answers for all your questions, all these days you have been paying 3x120Rs for 3TVs or may be you just hacked the cable with one connection and got free cable on other 2 TVs , just a joke ;) now it would triple. !! and you have to now invest on 3 STBs!! which i think you would hardly be ready to spend.

i think you could use a stb from dth operator then you could convert it into analog like old cable operators did. but I'm not sure about that.

Past:

TV 1: Analogue.
TV 2: Analogue.
TV 3: DVI from PC.

Planned: Rs 750 (excluding STB) Max for 2 TV's (cheaper the better).

TV 1: HD. (Upto Rs 500-600).
TV 2: SD. (Upto Rs 250).
TV 3: DVI from PC.

i think you could use a stb from dth operator then you could convert it into analog like old cable operators did. but I'm not sure about that.

I think a HDMI Splitter might do the trick but two TV's are far away to be reached via a single remote but it might work if a longer cable is found and same channel on both TV's.

I think a HDMI Splitter might do the trick but two TV's are far away to be reached via a single remote but it might work if a longer cable is found and same channel on both TV's.
HDMI splitter would work , but whats the use?? when you change channels both TV will show the same channel.!! Thats the magic digital cableTV no more duplicate connections

dude you got it wrong, what i meant was,.. once cable operators distribute channels from sat only. you might see a big 12ft dish on their building. they used dish to get channels from sat and convert them into analog and distribute them to users. you might see their boxes used to hang around at some places right?
i don't know anything about that. but cable operators do. if you try to google it you'll probably get it.
1) get a some dish connection with subscription (eg. Airtel)
2)get a hdmi output where you want HD channels.
3) get output from output LNB using coax. (most of them do have coax output next to the LNB input from dish)
4)try to convert the output into analog and use splitter to split them and you can connect them to two other tv.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock