"Animax India" cud become "AXN Beyond" (MSM weighing options)

shawl_who

Contributor
Reaction score
MUMBAI: Animax faces an uncertain future and Multi Screen Media (MSM) has given the channel at least 12 months of breathing space. Depending on the performance of the channel, MSM will take a final call on what kind of surgery Animax would need. Sunil PunjabiOne of the options considered is converting it into a kids channel. MSM has general entertainment, movie and sports channels but has no presence in the kids TV genre.

Animax, stuffed with Japanese animation, unsuccessfully targets tweens between 12 and 18 years. “In February last year, we did consider turning it into a kids channel with a mix of animation and live action content. But we decided against going ahead with the idea. The market at the moment is too volatile and the environment is rapidly changing.

We have given Animax breathing space and will this year allow it to run the way it has been doing ,” AXN Networks India business head Sunil Punjabi told TelevisionPost.com. the_voice_6_It has been 10 years since MSM launched Animax, a channel focusing on Japanese animation. But carving a niche in the volatile market has been a real problem that left Animax struggling for the past few years. Catering to the tweens between 12 and 18 years is tough, admits Punjabi. “People associate animation with kids content. As a result, there is a perception difficulty.” anw_4But converting the channel into the kids genre isn’t easy either. Advertising revenue is hard to get and the pie is not too large to accommodate so many players. “There is no clear leader in the genre. Viewership is fragmented, which is why an advertiser can pick and choose. The trading levels are also low. There are already seven to eight players and the leadership position keeps changing between the top three players,” said Punjabi. Punjabi does not believe that a kids channel has to be exclusive in terms of content, i.e. completely animated or completely live action. “You need a balance.

The challenge with animation is that the gestation period can be long. Besides, it does not afford you flexibility for specials on days like Holi. With live action you can do that.” Overseas, AXN runs another channel called AXN Beyond. Asked if Animax could become AXN Beyond, Punjabi said that no decision has been taken regarding this. “We have decided to give Animax some more time,” he said

MSM weighing options on Animax | TelevisionPost.com

So chances are high to close animax

but once i seen some serirs of japanese animation over internet
and i liked

problem in india for animax is less revenue from advt
and less people choose to watch such animation as teen having m tv, bindass, axn available for their entertainer apart from studies in school

Sent from my HuaweiU8300

It wud be gud if they close Animax, in my opinion.
We cud then get to see AXN Beyond :win

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock