Cable operators threaten stir against digitization process

"The Union government had promised that while making digitization mandatory, the interest of the cable industry and consumers will be protected," Anil Parab, Cable Operators' Association president, said on Thursday.

"The business was in the hands of cable operators. But according to the new policy, the trade will be under the control of multi-system operator and the role of cable operators will be limited to collecting money," he added.

Operators will meet for the second time on Friday to decide the future course of action. "At the meeting, we will take a final call on the issue. If our demands are not heard, those in the industry will be forced to come on the street and protest against the Centre's policy," he said.

The deadline for cable TV digitization in Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi and Chennai is October 31. Recently, the Union ministry of information and broadcasting issued a release claiming that it has achieved over 80% digitization in four metros.

"The figures released by the government are not correct. The setup box has reached godowns of private players in the industry and not in every household. Many people will protest if they stop receiving cable signals. Considering all the hurdles in implementing the policy, the Centre should extend its deadline till the issues are sorted out," he added.

govt is sure to extend this deadline till next elections in 2014. till then enjoy. they will announce either on 30th or 31st Oct'12 about the extension.:huh:huh

this time digitization will amend on time bcz my cable operator had removed all hindi entertainment channels like starplus zeetv life ok sahara one channel v,mtv,espn and all news channels:angry

I think Cable TV subscribers & operators and going to face lots of problems in initial days of Digitization ... and that may result in more subscribers migrating form Cable TV to DTH even after the digitization deadline!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock