Discussion Confusion clearing thread regarding TRAI rate changes effective 1st February

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the consumer who stands at the receiving end in the whole exercise.
Particularly viewers who watch multiple language channels like me will finally bear the brunt. Though I am from South, I watch Hindi and English Movie and news channels, Oriya news channels besides Telugu channels. In the present tariff regime, I have to cough up nearly Rs.700 to 800 pm.
you are exceptional case then but most of the people would definitely benefited with this move

How? For Rs.130/+ GST only some crap channels will be available. For every GEC, Sports and HD channel they have to pay extra.
Pay channel rates became lower or even became FTA in the coming months because they are waging a war against Indian Jugaad. All you need is to wait

Last edited:
Are they mandating consumers to take only those packs?
Mostly Yes, As none of the DPO isn't allowing to choose those first 100 Channels or atleast mentioned it.

Right now, All Cable Operators have created their own 100 FTA Pack Region and charging Rs.130

Mostly Yes, As none of the DPO isn't allowing to choose those first 100 Channels or atleast mentioned it.

Right now, All Cable Operators have created their own 100 FTA Pack Region and charging Rs.130
Hathway is allowing isn't it?

They are charging extra NCF for pay channels, so their income will increase.

All DPOs have to give that choice to subscribers. But, they'll make sure that the process is as difficult as possible. They'll keep that option somewhere in the footnote so that normal people dont see it.

Earlier for a tata sky user if you pay 99 + 70 you can watch all language channels in either Tamil/Telugu/Kannada/Malayalam. Now base pack itself is Rs 153. If you select 2 add-on language pay packs over it then total crosses Rs 200. If the base pack is not having all the FTA channels of your language (of course you can choose 100 channels but who know if they allow ) you need you to pay extra NCF for that. I know that the old system was wrong but this was not the way to implement the new system. Maximum price setting is good. But allowing the DTH/LCO to set packs is risky. Otherwise, TRAI should be very strict in the options. There should be separate base packs for every state/language. All FTA channels in that language should be strictly available in the first 100 channel pack itself.No language has more than 74 FTA channels except Hindi I think. Don't allow mixing entertainment with sports channels in packs. If they want to mix then there should be a pack of entertainment channels alone too in that language. What star did now is that they mixed south entertainment channels with sports and infotainment? If a user wants only entertainment why he has to pay for sports? He can choose a la carte but the total price of 2 or 3 entertainment channels will be more than the pack of entertainment + sports. One question which haunts is how the channels agree for 19 rupees for a channel which they sold for Rs 70 in some platforms like TS. Just imagine what the margins they used to enjoy. Who knows what was the selling price and margin at the LCO/DTH level. The whole fuss now made by cable guys and DTH is over this unaccounted margin they enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock