Discussion General Discussions, News & Updates On Indian TV Channels

Anyone knows whether Doordarshan was a paid channel on cable back before digitization? Reading about it's sports cluster jacking up prices due to sporting events on a twitter thread. So cable guys carried bootleg feeds of sporting events to escape the charges.

Also does anyone know how Doordarshan could afford sporting rights of so many commercial events back before private sports broadcasters flooded the back?

Anyone knows whether Doordarshan was a paid channel on cable back before digitization? Reading about it's sports cluster jacking up prices due to sporting events on a twitter thread. So cable guys carried bootleg feeds of sporting events to escape the charges.

Also does anyone know how Doordarshan could afford sporting rights of so many commercial events back before private sports broadcasters flooded the back?
It's never a paid channel.. Back then they were one of the most watched channel with them selling ads at premium. Even now, DD national is selling 10 sec slot for 60k. However, their revenue took a massive hit from 2015 almost losing 850 crores In a single year.... Another hit was when Star India won a massive proceeding against MIB in SC allowing DD to broadcast the sports of national importance on DD Freedish and terrestrial network.

However, I do feel MIB is making a Mockery out of sports broadcasting business.. How is it fair for broadcasters who had paid crores of rupees to show those events on their networks and had to share the feed with DD without charging anything. Of course DD pays 25% of the advertising revenues to the feeder. How is IPL become of national importance (Smriti Irani had fought for that without providing uplinking and downlinking lisencing for Star Sports in 2018 and had forced to share some matches with DD national.) If any thing wasn't properly done by that opening Night MIB would have probably been facing the wrath of BCCI and Star India.

BTW, BBC even now is affording to buy many premium events because they are one most watched networks in the UK and is backed up by the licensing fee (a tax every tv or radio user has to pay in the UK).

It's never a paid channel.. Back then they were one of the most watched channel with them selling ads at premium. Even now, DD national is selling 10 sec slot for 60k. However, their revenue took a massive hit from 2015 almost losing 850 crores In a single year.... Another hit was when Star India won a massive proceeding against MIB in SC allowing DD to broadcast the sports of national importance on DD Freedish and terrestrial network.

However, I do feel MIB is making a Mockery out of sports broadcasting business.. How is it fair for broadcasters who had paid crores of rupees to show those events on their networks and had to share the feed with DD without charging anything. Of course DD pays 25% of the advertising revenues to the feeder. How is IPL become of national importance (Smriti Irani had fought for that without providing uplinking and downlinking lisencing for Star Sports in 2018 and had forced to share some matches with DD national.) If any thing wasn't properly done by that opening Night MIB would have probably been facing the wrath of BCCI and Star India.

BTW, BBC even now is affording to buy many premium events because they are one most watched networks in the UK and is backed up by the licensing fee (a tax every tv or radio user has to pay in the UK).

Back in the day there were hardly few sports channels, cricket was still not that big on tv in India and Doordarshan infact used to get paid to telecast indian cricket matches. Later on BCCI started bidding system and eventually private broadcasters won rights.
Also bhai i feel it is okay for private broadcasters to share feed with DD as long as it is restricted to Free Dish or terrestrial platform...remember intention is to make important matches available to those people who cannot afford paying money for watching tv. Another point i want to highlight and correct us that DD has to give 75% of revenue earned from live telecast of these events to concerned private broadcaster so they r not at loss. I suggest that private broadcasters should themselves launch exclusive channel on Free Dish and air important matches on it thereby earning all revenue...Star Sports First should have done this

DD obviously cannot buy key sporting event rights as they r priced too high and DD has limited financial resources but i think they should opt for smaller rights and try to collaborate with private broadcasters for joint bidding / sharing of prime events

DD obviously cannot buy key sporting event rights as they r priced too high and DD has limited financial resources but i think they should opt for smaller rights and try to collaborate with private broadcasters for joint bidding / sharing of prime events
I'm not saying DD shouldn't broadcast those sports or something. But the way MIB is forcing other broadcasters is wrong. Remember, the time when they wanted to carry sports on every dth and cablers' DD National. When Star won the case against MIB the again went back and challenged in supreme Court and then eventually lost..

Just take, Australia for an example.. They are #1 country for their love for sports. Even there the government isn't regulating anything. They have marked only a limited set of matches as national importance. FTA channels along with private broadcasters bid for the rights to broadcast sports.. There are many FTA channels there willing to that..

If the matter is more than just broadcasting on DD, there shouldn't be clause calling for sharing with DD. Broadcasters can have their own FTA channels airing those events. Also, how is every single LOI match played by Indian cricket is of national importance but not other sports? That's pure hypocrisy. Even they tried for IPL Rights, it's a shame that they want to categorise IPL as a event of national importance. Its just a domestic league...

It's Sunday morning. Yet, no informative show like MAD, Art Attack, FAQ, Bournavita Quiz Contest or Tenali Raman, Akbar & Birbal. Closest thing we got to an edutainment show is Spelling Bee on Discovery. We have some of the dumbest cartoons on tv nowadays which are making kids stupider. Leave kids content. We have a new format of cricket called "The Hundred" in town. In cricket loving country it's blacked-out from satellite tv. We gotta admit as tv sets are getting smarter. Satellite TV is getting dummer by the time.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock