Poll: Do you support Tata Sky's take against TRAI?

• Thread starter TJ_DJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 33
  • Views: Views 3,807

Do you support Tata Sky's relentless efforts to take on TRAI and opposing the new implementation?

• Total voters
TRAI rule is good but without 15% Discount Cap its useless

So, i support Tatasky as don't want to turn down whole Implementation but they need clarification on two major points.
  1. How TRAI fixed NCF at Rs.130
  2. Why 15% Rule was dropped

TRAI's original intentions were good and they framed proper rules. But it all went haywire, when they didn't control broadcasters releasing the bouquets with 15 percent rule violation, though they had the power to do so. Even now, they are not uttering a word against the bouquets released and even hosted a channel selector application in their website considering the same prices and compositions. If we read the TRAI order, most of the base points are on how the channels are being forced on consumers by the DPOs offering bouquets at 85-90 percent discounts compared to Al-a-carte prices and how these new rules can control them. However, that force is now shifted from DPOs to Broadcasters and nothing more. Consumers are still being forced to take bouquets because of TRAI's toothless implementation of the order. There is no point in supporting it.

I know Tata Sky is no saint in going to court against the order and they have their own agenda. But it will be beneficial for me as an Airtel user, if the order is NOT implemented in it's current form. I would have definitely supported TRAI had they pushed the order with all the rules in place, but not in the current form. So, supporting Tata Sky!!

If I am not wrong then Tata Sky is fighting against TRAI to not put any cap on NCF.

If that's the case then Tata Sky should not win as already our monthly rent will be high & if NCF will be increased then it'll become more costly.
but they need clarification on two major points.
  1. How TRAI fixed NCF at Rs.130
They've already clarified this in their order.

As per data available, the Authority noted that the cost of carrying 100 SD channels by a distributor of television channels comes to approximately ₹80/- per month and cost of other activities like subscriber management, billing, complaint redressal, call center etc comes out to be approximately ₹50/- per month.

Accordingly, the Authority has permitted the distributors of television channels to charge a maximum fixed amount of upto ₹130/- per month, excluding taxes, from its subscribers towards its distribution network cost to carry 100 SD channels.

Last edited:
If I am not wrong then Tata Sky is fighting against TRAI to not put any cap on NCF.

If that's the case then Tata Sky should not win as already our monthly rent will be high & if NCF will be increased then it'll become more costly.

They've already clarified this in their order.

As per data available, the Authority noted that the cost of carrying 100 SD channels by a distributor of television channels comes to approximately ₹80/- per month and cost of other activities like subscriber management, billing, complaint redressal, call center etc comes out to be approximately ₹50/- per month.

Accordingly, the Authority has permitted the distributors of television channels to charge a maximum fixed amount of upto ₹130/- per month, excluding taxes, from its subscribers towards its distribution network cost to carry 100 SD channels.
If the cost itself is 130 and consumers pay 130, how the DPOs will get profit? Are they non profit organizations?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock