Breaking Reliance and Disney merger approved by CCI

• Thread starter Thread starter rajrocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 418
  • Views Views: Views 50,851
I have another huge gripe against JioCinema and its strategy: JioCinema is cannibalising the Sports18 channels and having all the sporting contents to itself, leaving Sports18 and other channels (like MTV, Vh1 and Colors Cineplex) deprived of sporting events.

Case in point: Our Paralympians won 29 medals at Paris, nearly 5 times the number our Olympians did. It turned physically challenged athletes like Sheetal Devi, Sumit Antil, Avani Lekhara and Yogesh Kathuniya into national heroes on par with Neeraj Chopra, Vinesh Phogat and Manu Bhaker. And who could watch them win all these medals as far as pay TV is concerned? Those with JioCinema, not to mention DD Sports. Not a single person on subscription TV could see them, not one!

Last edited:
I have another huge gripe against JioCinema and its strategy: JioCinema is cannibalising the Sports18 channels and having all the sporting contents to itself, leaving Sports18 and other channels (like MTV, Vh1 and Colors Cineplex) deprived of sporting events.

Case in point: Our Paralympians won 29 medals at Paris, nearly 5 times the number our Olympians did. It turned physically challenged athletes like Sheetal Devi, Sumit Antil, Avani Lekhara and Yogesh Kathuniya into national heroes on par with Neeraj Chopra, Vinesh Phogat and Manu Bhaker. And who could watch them win all these medals as far as pay TV is concerned? Those with JioCinema (not to mention DD Sports. Not a single person on pay TV could see them, not one!
10 Star sports channels (includes regional) can cater all events in coming days ;)

I think at least star pravah : marathi channel will not be shuting down because it is in top 10 list and it is maharashtra's no.1 channel...
This is very big high chances

MOD Note: Do not write entire post in capital letters, it is considered as shouting

Last edited by a moderator:
What about your lack of knowledge regarding JioCinema being included in every Jio recharge pack?? That's why they currently have 15 million subscribers, its also bundled deal right?? 😒😒

Even your favorite app mentions in articles that they aim to compete with major OTT platforms like Netflix, Disney+Hotstar and Prime Video, so the joke is on you for claiming that Disney+Hotstar isnt a tier A app. Has anyone ever said such a thing about JioCinema?? No one would ever even mention that trashy app. So, keep staying delusional.
I never claimed JioCinema is a premium service targeting affluent consumers. Their biggest advantage is AVoD service.

So why would I need to defend their bundle deals?

Half of you didn't get why there is an internal discussion to shun the Hotstar brand. JioCinema's plan is to reach the widest audience possible. Subscription plan that includes HBO, Paramount and Peacock is just an added bonus.

JioCinema is a trashy app. Yes, that's why people keep using it.

Stay delusional in Disneyland.

Show me valid proof that 90% of Hotstar's subscribers come from bundled deals. Just provide solid evidence to support your claim that without those deals, Hotstar would only have 3 million subscribers. Don't rely on baseless assumptions.

Secondly, if we follow your logic, then if Jio removed JioCinema from its bundled recharge packs, JioCinema would end up with negative subscriber numbers. So, even with your incorrect assumption of 3 million subs, DPHS is still far better.

We're discussing Hotstar merging into JioCinema, which is why the comparison is relevant. The fact remains that DPHS is far superior to JioCinema, and that's the main point, not whether they're a top tier app.

Ohh and its bold of you to assume, this is what minority of subscribers thinks when everywhere on social media trashes that app. So funny.
There is a Ken article which reported 80% of subscribers were through bundle deals. This was when they had 57 million subscribers.

We will know the latest numbers if Disney releases Hotstar revenue seperately.

Everyone will agree even inside Viacom18's office that DPHS > JioCinema but that's not the target audience they're going for.

That is why they will go with JioCinema brand name.

Back
Top Bottom